2 Panniers packed as one bag?

twosheds120
twosheds120 Posts: 7
edited November 2011 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone got a neat solution for packing 2 panniers as one bag to satisfy Easyjets 1 hold bag rule (ie how to avoid paying an extra £19)? Obviously the solution must be transportable on the bike at the other end for use on the return leg.

Comments

• I carry a large but light nylon holdall that allows me to put both my front and rear panniers in when flying. I suggest you use any lightweight but stong bag - perhaps one that has a zipped top.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • go to poundland,the one with the blue front not the green one,and you will find those tartan looking chinese zip topped carry bags,you can fit loads in them,just put an extra strap over to ensure it does not break open when the baggage handelers throw it in the hold,i can get a full set of panniers in.

regards :P
    He travels fastest who travels alone
  • Thanks both, very helpful.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    We use these, and can fit four panniers in one bag. We've had them for about ten years and they get used every year. Packs down to next to nothing and stuffed into bottom of pannier when on the road.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I used to use zip ties to fasten my Ortieb Rollers together back to back as a solid unit. There were convenient places in the corners for threading the ties through. I had to take extra ties for the return journey.
  • jphil
    jphil Posts: 74
    I have used black bin liners from cleaners doing the rounds in airports :wink: or you could use rubble sacks for my panniers, with bungee cords holding them together, but also masking tape around them it gets it to the other end no problem. Just what I used to get
    around the nonsense baggage policy of some airlines!!! :x
    J Phillips
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    We use a cardboard box. We get four panniers and a tent in it. At the other end tear it up and put it in the bin. We even do this with bike boxes. You can get a replacement for your return from the back of a shop. We got bike boxes from Decathlon near Toulouse airport this year.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I flew easyjet to pisa with g/f, we got a cheap large holdall that took all 4 panniers snugly, it folded small and light enough to be no bother on the rack whilst on tour. (I think it was the same as this one but I paid about £8 ).
  • I just flew back from Zurich with Easyjet after a fully loaded ride out there, and had the same dilemma. In the end, I bought a bike box at Zurich airport (right next to the Easyjet checkin desks), and fitted the bike, two front panniers, tent, helmet etc in the box. Then I checked one rear pannier in, and carried the other as hand luggage. No problems, all very smooth.
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    roll of heavy duty plasic bags £1+/_, roll of parcel tape, felt tip marker AND attach cardboard label because ink may rub off bag. use two bags if afraid of rips, though I never do if the bag is thick.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • I just flew back from Zurich with Easyjet after a fully loaded ride out there, and had the same dilemma. In the end, I bought a bike box at Zurich airport (right next to the Easyjet checkin desks), and fitted the bike, two front panniers, tent, helmet etc in the box. Then I checked one rear pannier in, and carried the other as hand luggage. No problems, all very smooth.

HI, Im planning to tour next year, probably flying in and out of zurich, is there places at the airport that stock bike boxes? so then I could get a box to use on the flight there from my local shop, then ditch it in zurich, cycle around switzerland for 2 weeks, then turn up at zurich airport, get a new box and fly home? - that would save finding someone to look after my bike bag for 2 weeks!
  • Sorry for the delay! Yes, this company has a place at Zurich airport: www.bagsafe.ch. They we re located in check in 2 in front of line 7. This was right next to easy jet. A bike box costed about £20 I think. I took duct tape with me and boxed it up right there. Rebuilt it in Gatwick arrivals, left the box and got the train to London, then rode home! Apparently Zurich is one of only a few airports that has bike boxes for sale.
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • I seem to remember that Ortlieb have a backpack frame that can take 2 panniers. You clip them off the bike, onto the frame, and off you go.

I've just done a quick google, and cant seem to find what I'm looking for, but I know I've seen it before. Good luck!
  • Apparently Zurich is one of only a few airports that has bike boxes for sale.

Geneva does too. It must be a Swiss thing.