A small story...a massive mis-understanding....PLEASE CLOSE!

13»

Comments

• What's the "massive misunderstanding"? I think most of us got it. Some supported your assertion, some did not; that's kind of what a discussion is all about.

At the risk of sounding rude, I'm not sure it's just your expensive, carbon frame that's overly fragile.

Anyway, go steel; you know it makes sense.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Well, the OP has already asked that this thread be closed, how long before we end up with this:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12718893&highlight=

I've still no idea what's going on here !!
    :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Well, the OP has already asked that this thread be closed, how long before we end up with this:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12718893&highlight=

I've still no idea what's going on here !!
    :roll:

WTF !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?@!?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • The-beast
    The-beast Posts: 140
    Nothing can ever replicate speed-king, that dude was a one off
  • This thread is epic. Seems OP is a bit fragile, and instead of responding he just puts please close in the top. He needs to sort himself out if you ask me.
  • I've only been cycling for a few months and as money is tight so brought a Carrara Virtuoso. Is it any good? I've no idea but I love going out on it. I'm sure I'll upgrade next year sometime but I can't see me ever spunking thousands on a bike.

Surely it's all about enjoyment. If that means getting shot of the carbon and going more budget then so be it. Hopefully you'll rediscover the joy 8)
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    There's only one thing to do boys, keep the thread alive !!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I think the guy had a reasonably sensible point.

If he'd just hung in there for a few more posts he would have weathered the storm and come out of the other side. Unfortunately he appears to have suffered a very public breakdown and now the forum have smelt blood.

There can only be one outcome now.

Shame, seemed like a nice fella.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Simon1890 wrote:

If you really think you need to spend 200 a month to be happy with cycling, and to keep the bike up to scratch, you really exaggerate wayyyyy too much. Paranoia is not good, and it seems your paranoia is taking control. You have a nice bike, ride it. Crashes don't happen every month, so maybe save your 20 a month every month, and get to 200 or so reserves, and your set should anything break. Just because you have force on there now, does not mean it has to be replaced with force. Parts are inter-compatible between the ranges for exactly this reason.

You really need to chill out with the paranoia though.

FFS......This is the reason why this forum annoys me at times. You clearly don't understand what I'm saying, and worse still haven't read all the replies. I don't think I need to spend £200 a month on my bike to keep it up to scratch, I was simply quoting what someone else wrote in a reply earlier.

Yet again I find myself repeating myself.....THIS POST WAS NOT ABOUT ME AND WHAT I SHOULD DO, IT'S ABOUT THINKING ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED FROM YOUR BIKE BEFORE PURCHASING IT.

Close this thread. The point has obviously been missed and it now seems to be turning into people making snap judgements and personal comments about me.

Thanks

I still haven't the foggiest what you are on about. Are you about to go postal?

Are you trying to tell us this is what happens if you buy a plastic bike?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    Life being way too short as it is I bought my dream bike this July - Cervelo S3 with Sram Red. Halfway round my maiden ride a cat jumps out of the hedgerow into my path and off I come. Yes I jumped up and checked the bike over and over and over. yes I scratched the rear mech a bit and scuffed my bar tape. Am I still riding it hard as I can - yep! Rode the Etape Caledonia route in filthy weather last month, bike looked like I'd entered a cross race at the end! Magic!

Buy it, love it, ride it!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Dunkeldog wrote:
    Life being way too short as it is I bought my dream bike this July - Cervelo S3 with Sram Red. Halfway round my maiden ride a cat jumps out of the hedgerow into my path and off I come. Yes I jumped up and checked the bike over and over and over. yes I scratched the rear mech a bit and scuffed my bar tape. Am I still riding it hard as I can - yep! Rode the Etape Caledonia route in filthy weather last month, bike looked like I'd entered a cross race at the end! Magic!

I'm willing to bet you weren't being quite so pragmatic in the minutes/hours/days following the incident. This is the kind of thing you come to terms with over time.

In fact, that's what the OP needs to do. Crash the bike and get it over with, realise it's just a lump of metal, plastic and carbon and get on with it.
  • Dunkeldog
    @Jim453
    You're right Jim. Didn't notice my injuries until I got home either. In hindsight I think crashing on the first ride out was a blessing in disguise. It's a bit like buying a new car then being upset with the first paint chip or scuff of your alloys. Oddly enough I quite like the scuffs and marks on the Cervelo now. I feel I'm doing the beast at least a tiny bit of justice!
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 94
    Dunkeldog wrote:

Was the cat all right?

;-)
  • mcp73 wrote:
    Dunkeldog wrote:

Was the cat all right?

;-)

What does the highway code say? :wink:
  • Entertaining thread!

Crashed my summer bike 2 weeks ago, only damage was the wrecked right Force shifter /brake. Frame looks fine otherwise, they aren't as fragile as some people make out who know nothing. Will replace it with one bought off eBay, damage £112 plus a new bit of bar tape, when the breaks have healed (can't even inspect the bike properly at the moment as not allowed to lift anything).

Don't sell the bike as this is financial madness, you will lose a heap of money.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I read on here about some guy who as soon as he buys a new bike - pushes it over.

Then he can ride it as he's no longer worried about the first scratch.

Makes sense to me - bikes are for riding - not for looking pretty.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I didn't crash my carbon bike, the frame just failed, I guess I deserved it as I had taken it out in the rain and we all know that rain and carbon don't mix.

Maybe I need to start another thread "BE WARNED..." :lol:

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Dunkeldog
    Just to put minds at rest and avoid RSPCA interest... the cat was fine. I managed to avoid him nicely by throwing myself and bike onto the tarmac! He was a ginger cat. Which seemed to fit somehow...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've only crashed mine once this year. Looked over my should to pull out into the right hand lane, drifted into the kerb. So basically crashed on a straight road.

No idea if the carbon frame has taken much damage, everything seems to be where it should, it rides OK and it's too filthy to distinguish between dirt and scratches anyway!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    I've only crashed mine once this year. Looked over my should to pull out into the right hand lane, drifted into the kerb. So basically crashed on a straight road.

No idea if the carbon frame has taken much damage, everything seems to be where it should, it rides OK and it's too filthy to distinguish between dirt and scratches anyway!

Were you wearing a helmet at the time though?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    DesWeller wrote:

Were you wearing a helmet at the time though?

I was. The polystyrene at the back looks like an alligator's been chewing on it, thanks to all the cushioning stones I fell on. Still fits though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}