Snot.

Pru
Pru Posts: 53
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
How do you guys deal with snot? I get allergies around this time of year and coupled with the cold, it makes a real mess.

I've gotten really good at blowing my nose whilst moving but I don't see anyone else doing it, also it's gross. What do you do?

Do glasses help?

Comments

• mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    Pru wrote:
    I've gotten really good at blowing my nose whilst moving but I don't see anyone else doing it, also it's gross. What do you do?
    Sometimes blow on the go, but as you say not really the done thing - I wouldn't do it if lots of people were around, so shouldn't really do it at all .. but sometimes it's needed !

If in t-shirt I generally use my arm ... have a shower at each end, and it dries quick when you're going along ... but it's only watery stuff, not real cold/flu sticky stuff :-)
  • Check no one is to close, thumb over 1 nostril, turn head and blow. Wipe with the fuzzy bit on the back of your glove ;-)

Dirty, but effective.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Save it up and hock it into an open-top.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Do glasses help? I think so.

I use a combination of the one finger on a nostril to blow the other, wiping on my glove if necessary and sometimes remember to have tissues in my pockets or stuffed into a sleeve.
  • Sniff it back into my mouth and spit.
    Or wipe on my sleeve. :oops:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Pru wrote:
    Do glasses help?

Only in the event of blow-back :lol:
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    I make sure there's no-one behind me or nearby and block a nostril and blow.

Although, I have had some horrible accidents where the snot has hung from my nostril, along my cheek and swing over my shoulder!!!!

And, I nearly did it at home on the turbo before I realised where I was!!!!!! :oops:
  • Sniff it back into my mouth and spit.:

That's horrible if it has lumps.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    suck it in and swallow

free water & you get paid more........ :roll:

just get used to the salty taste :lol:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Check no one is to close, thumb over 1 nostril, turn head and blow. Wipe with the fuzzy bit on the back of your glove ;-)

Dirty, but effective.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Check no one is to close, thumb over 1 nostril, turn head and blow. Wipe with the fuzzy bit on the back of your glove ;-)

Dirty, but effective.

^ this.

Bit of a mess if you manage to get it on your jacket. Better out and than in though.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Spit or swallow
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Better out than in - snot rocket. Be careful if anyone is around.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Sniff it back into my mouth and spit.
    Or Carry a couple of kitchen wipes for tissues. :oops:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Fire off a snot rocket over-the-shoulder stylee :)
  • under arm snot rocket - although I beginning to agree with a friend who always carries a proper hanky
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    If you suffer regular snot problems, try using a sinus rinse like this.

Dirty, but effective.
    +1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • litwardle
    litwardle Posts: 259
    Chrissz wrote:
    Fire off a snot rocket over-the-shoulder stylee :)

+1 :lol:
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    The important factor with blowing snot is never do it over your shoulder you will get it on your back and cover anyone behind you.

Hold your bars with one hand (say right) lean slightly to the left holding your left index finger on your right nostril. Blow under your left arm down towards your pedal. You can do this in a bunch and you won't hit anyone else.
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    tilted head and fired a snot rocket to my left hand side this morning ...cleared my jacket nicely ... cycled on ... happy days ...

... until i got to work and remembered my pannier was on the lhs this morning and had a nice present sitting on the top of it :x
  • The Ors wrote:
    If you suffer regular snot problems, try using a sinus rinse like this.

or alternatively for no cost at all. warm as you can bear water made as salty as it can go, inhale it off a teaspoon (snuff stylee) once or twice before you go out and it works an absolute treat.

it is one of the most evil things you'll ever do to yourself though, you have a couple of minutes of feeling dreadfully like your head is caving in from the inside out, and the world dribbles out of your nose but it really is effective, as an ex persistent sinusitis sufferer (2 ops to get rid of that regular joy) it gave me a days peace for a moments unpleasantness.

as for on the road, snot rocket with occasional crispy cheek & gooey shoulder where it goes a bit wrong.
  • Initialised
    Lately I have been saving it up for cars who pass too close.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Initialised
    a