Krakow

IronHorse100
IronHorse100 Posts: 302
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Any advice for where to stay / what to do in Krakow in mid November.

Need a cheap and cheerful room(s) for 3 lads (single beds only!).

Prepared to go cheap, but not super cheap.

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I stayed in this place on a trip with school about 3 years ago. Spotlessly clean. Absolutely prime location and seems pretty cheap (it must have been 'cos our trip was damn cheap).

If you look at the map, you can see it's located along one of the streets coming off the main square. I desperately want to go back! Damn cheap and beautiful city. The square has a great vibe at night.

Not sure about things to do. When i went we were substantially under-age (although this didn't stop us getting pretty drunk in a little under-ground pub lol) and we were confined to the square and the streets directly off it.

Oh yeh and make sure you don't step in the horse shit on the main square. It's easy to miss when it's dark as my mate found out. :lol:
  • Thanks EKMIKE - did you mean to put a link in your post?
  • Spent a week there last month, really cheap place to eat, drink and stay.

As for places to go, not sure how old you are, but as an old fart I visited, Auschwits, Birkenau, Schindlers museum, the salt mines, Wawel Castle, The Market Square ect, loads to see/do. Stunning place, not at all what I expected (for some reason)

For day trips use http://www.cracowcitytours.pl/ they were excellent.

To travel short distances use the trams or taxis, they are very cheap.

To see the old town, the Jewish Quarter, and the Ghetto you can take a trip on one of the electric cars (try to haggle the fee, I saved 90 Zloty)

Exchange your money out there, the rates are better.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Avoid the bars in the city centre. They're full of twunts bringing shame onto Britain. There are loads of far better places dotted around just outside the city centre.
  • EKIMIKE
    :shock: Yes i did mean to put a link in my post! I'm a berk.

http://www.fausthostel.pl/

I know what johnfinch means, we came across a few rowdy brits in the main square. Just wish i got to explore more, hence why i wanna go back!
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Krakow is a Prime Stag & Hen do venue..but totally adored by culture vultures never the less...Intertesting antiquities Market vin the Jewish sector with lots of war stuff..Theres a infamous German Concentration camp. near to Krakow..Tatrus mountains to the south are good cycling country.Theres a bike hire shop near Krakow market
    jc
  • EKIMIKE
    The Tatra Mountains are beautiful. I'd recommend going for a chilled out day or a trek, depending on what you and your friends aim to do.

Visiting Auschwitz-Birkenau is heavy going. I personally thought it was a great, humbling experience, but definitely not 'fun' if that's what you want form your holiday. Depends on your holiday and who you're with I guess.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My company is rolling out a new call centre over there at the moment - you could always pop in and lend a hand?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • yuna
    yuna Posts: 1
    If you don't know where to stay in Krakow, I recommend you Atrakcyjny Kazimierz hostel. It's located in the jewish district, near the city center and iit's very cheap.