Unnecessarily High Tech Kit

SingleSpeedMike
SingleSpeedMike Posts: 7
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
What's the most unnecessarily high tech bit of kit you've ever seen?

Was talking today with a fellow geek cyclist, and we reckoned it would be relatively easy to patch a touchscreen smart phone (like an iPhone) into the main functions of your bike. With the right bits of hardware and coding you could then turn on the lights from the touchscreen (or, if your phone had a camera, have them come on automatically when it got too dark), you could also have routefinding if you used a phone's GPS functions.
Also, if you had electronic gear shifting, it shouldn't be too hard to create a program to give your bike automatic shifting based on your cadence, the slope of the hill, and your speed.

At the end of lunch time we both realised we had been very sad, and had better things and lives to go back to - but I was wondering what the craziest solution to bike problems you've ever seen is?

Mike

The Muddy One: Transmogrified Focus Fat Boy - One gear and rigid.
The Battered One: 1986 Peugeot Carbolite
The Quick(ish) One: Willier Evasion

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yes, you could get iTunes pumped through the frame at exactly the right pitch/timbre to negate any bumps in the road.

Furthermore you can have a backwards facing camera which gave you a small jolt when a shaven-legged, lycra clad roadie was approaching so that you could speed up just to embarrass him on your FCN 7-10.
  • There's an idea. Instead of looking over your shoulder, or a mirror, or anything cheap and reliable like that - a rear facing camera could look for you. With a screen on the handlebars and everything.

Still, no worse than aero helmets for looking like a tool while spending lots of money.

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    And electronic gears...
  • Joelsim wrote:
    And electronic gears...

Them too. Though if they come up with an electronic pie delivery system for single speed bikes I'd be the first in line.

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Currently my Garmin 800. Next year it will be Ultegra Di2 on the nice bike :lol:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Di2 does open up the possibilities here. Voice activated gear changing via a smartphone maybe. Voice activation could also do your lights (indicators), camera, invisibility device etc.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    What's the most unnecessarily high tech bit of kit you've ever seen?

Was talking today with a fellow geek cyclist, and we reckoned it would be relatively easy to patch a touchscreen smart phone (like an iPhone) into the main functions of your bike. With the right bits of hardware and coding you could then turn on the lights from the touchscreen (or, if your phone had a camera, have them come on automatically when it got too dark), you could also have routefinding if you used a phone's GPS functions.
    Also, if you had electronic gear shifting, it shouldn't be too hard to create a program to give your bike automatic shifting based on your cadence, the slope of the hill, and your speed.

At the end of lunch time we both realised we had been very sad, and had better things and lives to go back to - but I was wondering what the craziest solution to bike problems you've ever seen is?

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzdWMapJ-c
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    TT helmets on the morning commute... just... don't.. please!
  • Brakeless wrote:

You know when you have an OK idea, and then turns out someone has already been there? I hadn't even thought about shifting by telepathy.

With my tech-head on: many, many points (who on earth do you ring up to ask "yeah, we need a nose cone casing for the headset of a TT bike - oh, and it needs to hold an iPhone too...?").

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Ultegra Di2!!

what's wrong with cables?!

ive heard someone is trying to make a wireless kit for it now aswell
    Keeping it classy since '83