Personalised number plates

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Can't you think of anything better to spent your money on?

Comments

• No, I purchased mine 9 years ago when I was young and had spare cash. Probably the only thing I still own from 9 years ago so best thing I could have bought! :wink:
  • you can buy R10TS (and then any one of 5 letters from the DVLA) for £250

but yes i would rather buy 1 gram of coke 20 pints of lager and 5 private pole dances LOL :D
    Britannia waives the rules
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    I have no real problem with proper personalised plates what I hate is people that change the letters and numbers to look like something else. Its a joke its only a £60 quid fine and no points for what is effect changing the VRM of your car.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,178
    When I win the Euro Millions I'll be having PR05 SER on my Aston :wink:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Pross wrote:
    When I win the Euro Millions I'll be having PR05 SER on my Aston :wink:

Funnilly enough PR05 SER sounds very much like the name I give people with personalised plates. :wink:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Those that change the spacing to make a long word make it easier for people to remember if it's seen committing an offence...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Oh dear, they're not good are they.

I saw a bloke in a BMW recently with something like B055 M4N. Conjurs up some kind of egotistical d1ckhead. I bet he's in sales.
  • Some are just to hide the age of the car.
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Oh dear, they're not good are they.

I saw a bloke in a BMW recently with something like B055 M4N. Conjurs up some kind of egotistical d1ckhead. I bet he's in sales.

Maybe he wanted to purchase T055 P0T but found someone had beaten him to it?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Three come to mind, two in my village HIV POS and H15 HRH and Steve Parish the ex motorcycle racer and now commentator for the BBC has PEN 1S.
  • SLX01
    Bozman wrote:
    Three come to mind, two in my village HIV POS and H15 HRH and Steve Parish the ex motorcycle racer and now commentator for the BBC has PEN 1S.

The first one cannot exist its the wrong format you cannot have 4 letters in a row
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'll guess that the i is a doctored 1 then but it's the reg on the car
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Best bike related one I saw was BO55 CRC on the owner of Chain Reaction Cycles Nissan GTR.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • there was a story a wee while ago about a fella who legally bought BOLL UX from the dvla only to be told later that it was illegal and offensive and faced a possible fine.

:roll:

The time to worry though is when you see T 1000.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • napoleond
    I saw 816 POO on a red Jag XJS once, it had a bolt in the 6 and the 8 was doctored so it said BIG POO. I thought it a good show :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Only one I ever thought was OK was A911ONA purchased by a v.hard working and now dead Porsche owning man I knew. It went on his Guards Red 911 Turbo bought brand new and he worked his nuts off to buy it. When he sold the car he sold the car for what he bought it for and added £10k for the number plate (he just knew how to make money make money)

I have seen couple of cars near me with HI5 and HER5 which is ok but it all seems a waste of money imo
    M.Rushton
  • My fav is an Audi I see round here quite a lot with 5T0L3N :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • How easy is it to change from one to a normal one?

There's a car I'm interested in buying, but I'm put off it as it has a personalised number plate (or one that's supposed to hide the age - no idea why you'd need to do that?) but I'd be too embarrassed to own/drive it in its current state.

Is it simple to just revert back to the original /a conventional one? and does it cost anything (besides the cost in Halfords to buy the new physical plates??)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Only one I've been impressed by is a local one - B16 NOB
  • A guy round here had H20 TAP on a 70's era Aston Martin V8
  • SLX01
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Only one I've been impressed by is a local one - B16 NOB

What is a B16 NOB? If it said BIG NOB that would be funny but B16 NOB just looks like he was sad enough to spend a few hundred quid on a number plate that vaguely looks like another number.
  • I just don't get it.
    If someone owned a 6 year old Jag or Range Rover and they wanted to make it look potentially newer by putting a non age related plate on I can understand that, I wouldn't do it but I understand it.
    I someone owned a grands worth of Renault scenic and they spend £400 to make it look like £800 quids worth of Renault scenic by putting a plate on that makes it appear 2 years older??? I just don't get that.
    The plate may contain their initials of year of birth? But does anyone else know? Or care??

That said many 'normal' people think I'm mad to spend over a grand on a bicycle!! Wilkinson do them for sixty quid!! You're mental!!!

Whatever floats your boat!!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I just don't get it.
    If someone owned a 6 year old Jag or Range Rover and they wanted to make it look potentially newer by putting a non age related plate on I can understand that, I wouldn't do it but I understand it.
    I someone owned a grands worth of Renault scenic and they spend £400 to make it look like £800 quids worth of Renault scenic by putting a plate on that makes it appear 2 years older??? I just don't get that.
    The plate may contain their initials of year of birth? But does anyone else know? Or care??

That said many 'normal' people think I'm mad to spend over a grand on a bicycle!! Wilkinson do them for sixty quid!! You're mental!!!

Whatever floats your boat!!

Exactly... WTF!...

Oh, and yes... I have one, too :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • i have nothing at all against cherished plates - its 'personalised' plates that get me - squeezed up/numbers as letters/swirlly fonts - it P's me off and the police do nothing - better they fined these owners than drivers doing 3.0145 mph over the speed limit
  • napoleond
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    i have nothing at all against cherished plates - its 'personalised' plates that get me - squeezed up/numbers as letters/swirlly fonts - it P's me off and the police do nothing - better they fined these owners than drivers doing 3.0145 mph over the speed limit

We do.

And it gets reported to the DVLA who can revoke the number. I've not seen one in our area since we hammered them in the early '00s.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I saw a real pimp wagon in Bristol last week with KI55 MR X, it brightened up my day :D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • I saw AD07 FAN on an Aston Martin last weekend. Very nice looking car and OO7 FAN on it made me smile.

Also saw years ago an antique shop owner's car reg. was CUR10.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    They're all cack!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • How easy is it to change from one to a normal one?

There's a car I'm interested in buying, but I'm put off it as it has a personalised number plate (or one that's supposed to hide the age - no idea why you'd need to do that?) but I'd be too embarrassed to own/drive it in its current state.

Is it simple to just revert back to the original /a conventional one? and does it cost anything (besides the cost in Halfords to buy the new physical plates??)
    It's not that much more difficult than any dealings involving the DVLA :cry: What you do is put the cherised number on retention, costs about £80 IIRC and they issue a new number for the car, then when the time comes to renew the retention of the cherished number you just let it lapsed
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Where I grew up (Canada) you can get pretty much anything on your number plate - just like the US.

We don't use number plates to designate the age of the car so all plate numbers are random to begin with.

And you can get any combination of 7 letters and numbers you want. (Or less). No naughty words obviously.

I don't see the issue personally over (personal) number plates. Yes - I have one. Just my initials. To me it was just the same as someone who puts custom rims or a new stereo in the car - it's for ME. Not for anyone else. Plus I like the idea of being a little different,

(And the plates made my brand new vehicle seem several years older!)