Setting up a website, your help needed

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited October 2011 in The hub
i am going to set up an online portfolio for my photography, or well i am thinking about doing so and i want some help.

I was going to use Wordpress to basically Blog my photography and have a portfolio theme, register my domain name etc. My questions are these

Has anyone on here done it?
Do i need to find a web host aswell?
If i register with wordpress do they host the site for me?

i really havent got a clue as i have never set up my own site.........

thanks in advance

Comments

• AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I've made my company website in Wordpress - http://www.alvery.co.uk/ for reference.

You have 2 options with Wordpress - either have them host a blog (which will be yourdomain.wordpress.com) or you can download Wordpress and host it on your own domain bought through someone else. The second option is much more powerful, and is what I've done. It takes a bit of know-how, but if you're computer savvy you can figure most stuff out. Just don't try and make it look exactly how you have it in your mind's eye - that's a recipe for frustration!
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    that what i thought, if i want it hosting on my own own domain do i register it with fasthost, blue host et al and then return to wordpress and then map it across?
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    You need to register your domain and buy web hosting. They don't need to be through the same company but it's usually easier.

When it comes to using Wordpress, plug-ins can make your life a whole lot easier, but use them sparingly and do your research on them. Too many and you'll just slow your site down.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.