Lying Policeman

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Got stopped by the fuzz this morning on the way in to work. 3rd time I've been pulled in the past 18 months. First 2 times, the copper was nice enough and my response was along the lines of "it's a fair cop, you got me bang to rights, but society is to blame". The guy this morning, the conversation went something like this

"You know why I stopped you, you just ..." (describes some non-highway code compliant piece of cycling)
"No I didn't, I did...." (describes some alternative piece of non-highway code compliant cycling)
"No, you..." (reiterates his original description)
"Honestly, what I did was..." (highlight the inaccuracies of his description)
Proceeds to give me a full police caution(!) received by me with some bemusement to say the least.

At this point I think to myself, whatever, just make some sh*t up. Which he does, giving me a ticket for "contravening automatic traffic signals". (At worst) I was cycling on the footpath (I was unclipped and pushing myself through a pedestrian crossing).

Now, if he'd accurately described what I did and issued me with a ticket for the correct offence (assuming that it was one) I'd have held my hands up, as I have done previously. But as it is WTF? He can just write what he likes because he's seen me act in a way that is incompatible with the highway code?? And try and scare me by giving me a police caution??? What was next, get his fricking truncheon out? "yeah, gonna give you a ticket, just going to write this cos I can't be bothered to actually do my job properly, and if you complain I'll arrest you". Slippery slippery slope that one.
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    If you didn't accept his course of events then you should have refused to accept the caution :?

Thought it was a thread about road humps at first :wink:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I got caught by the fuzz this morning too, ...but that was a different experience altogether :)
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    Being stopped 3 times in 18 months must say something about your cycling? I cycle thousands of miles a year including commuting in London and as yet have not been stopped.
  • mclarent
    Maybe you should consider Audax. I'm an Urban Warrior.

How does one refuse to accept a caution? Throw back in his lying face?
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    The police offer you a caution, you can refuse to sign to say you have accepted it and they then have to decide if they have the evidence to charge you. If you accept the caution you are admitting guilt (which the officer should explain to you).
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    tickets issued at the roadside give you 2 options, one to accept and pay; 2 to contest in court. Sounds like you need to take option 2.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    (At worst) I was cycling on the footpath (I was unclipped and pushing myself through a pedestrian crossing).

so you were riding on the pavement- serves you right then- just pay up and learn your lesson

i wish the bizzies round here were as keen!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Reading your blog makes me think that getting stopped 3 times in 18 months is an accurate reflection of the way you share the road with/treat fellow commuters (either on bike or in car/bus)? Have you thought of changing your job and doing something to improve the quality of your life rather than going through it fighting everyone? If you are going to insist on carry such a big chip with you all the time, I suggest you look for some carbon options in the Road Buying Advice section.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    good grief! ive just read that- he does seem to have issues!

what a helmet!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • mclarent
    Ha! Didn't realise there were so many American's on this forum, sorry, I would have inserted a "please don't take this guy seriously" tag. :roll: Much as I'd love to take credit for Damien's excellent piece, as it's not work related I'll have to admit that it's not written by me. Very enjoyable though.

@fast as fupp
    mclarent wrote:
    if he'd accurately described what I did and issued me with a ticket for the correct offence (assuming that it was one) I'd have held my hands up, as I have done previously.
    Nuff said. :roll:

@dandrew and Pross Thanks for the tip, shame I didn't know about the accepting bit. I did think thought about challenging it in court this morning out of principal, but I can just attend one of their re-education seminars and get it torn up, so "whatever".
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    Is this diary of an urban warrior the original poster. If he is then this thread could run and run like the wiggle one. Arrogance and 'i'm a better cyclist than you'll ever be' cyclo snobbery oozes out of every pour of that blog.
  • mclarent
    i refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.

I can also confirm that I am a better cyclist than you but I find it hard to look down on your bike as I never stop long enough, or cycle slow enough, to check it.
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    edited October 2011
    Sorry read it wrong, thought it was your blog.

p.s. At the speed I go, I don't look up a you but I would probably look at the make of your rear tyre rather a lot.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If a policeman cautions you it doesn't mean that you will definitely be reported/given a ticket.

If an officer suspects an offence they say the caution so that anything said by the person can be used at court if it comes to that.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    A prosecution can be bought about on the basis of the Highway Code. You broke it. You got caught. Oh well. Better luck next time, but don't bother coming on here to tell us all about your 'misfortune'.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • SLX01
    Mouth wrote:
    A prosecution can be bought about on the basis of the Highway Code. You broke it. You got caught. Oh well. Better luck next time, but don't bother coming on here to tell us all about your 'misfortune'.

No it cannot, a prosecution has to be because a law has been broken nt everything in the Highway code is law.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    mclarent wrote:

Excellent. PMSL at 'To that roadie girl..'.. Cheers for the link.
  • mclarent
    edited October 2011
    CrackFox wrote:

Welcome, me too, really like what he's doing.

@brianonyx touché! :)

@NapD - thanks, didn't know that. Would have been nice if he'd explained that to me at the time though!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    CrackFox wrote:
    mclarent wrote:

That roadie girl's response is better :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    CrackFox wrote:
    mclarent wrote:

+potato

she is class.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wow, 3 times in 18 months (for cycling). Maybe you should start listening to them.
  • mclarent
    Wow, 3 times in 18 months (for cycling). Maybe you should start listening to them.

No chance, I'm far too arrogant. It's been the city of london police every time - no real criminals to catch (bankers notwithstanding*)

*(c) 2008-2011 Daily Mail Group
  • Think some people are getting mixed up with the police cautions here..

Before issuing a ticket you will be cautioned ' you do not have to say anything...' etc etc which is just a way of the officer letting you know he is speaking to you 'officially' and your replies to his questions could be used in court if it goes that far..

The other police caution is a telling off when you admit a minor offence, for example someone with no previous convictions admits to shoplifting or a minor assault.

At the end of the day, if the officer has issued you a ticket you disagree with, on the rear of ticket will be details of how you can challenge it and have your day in court, then it will be up to a magistrate to decide who they believe, you or the officer.
  • SLX01
    mclarent wrote:
    Wow, 3 times in 18 months (for cycling). Maybe you should start listening to them.

No chance, I'm far too arrogant.

I think the word you were looking for was 'thick'.
  • Was it thecsame officer each time maybe he had a notion of you, just becareful he doesnt try to rear end you :wink:
  • mclarent
    SLX01 wrote:
    mclarent wrote:

No chance, I'm far too arrogant.

I think the word you were looking for was 'thick'.

My* mother will be so disappointed to hear you say that.

*your

Before issuing a ticket you will be cautioned ' you do not have to say anything...' etc etc which is just a way of the officer letting you know he is speaking to you 'officially' and your replies to his questions could be used in court if it goes that far..

The other police caution is a telling off when you admit a minor offence, for example someone with no previous convictions admits to shoplifting or a minor assault.

At the end of the day, if the officer has issued you a ticket you disagree with, on the rear of ticket will be details of how you can challenge it and have your day in court, then it will be up to a magistrate to decide who they believe, you or the officer.

Technically it is a little bit more than a telling off, it is officially recorded as a offence on your police record. To be cautioned you have to admit the charge & accept the caution as opposed to going through a prosecution & trial. The 'telling off ' bit us usually done in a formal meeting with a more senior officer.

Technically it is a little bit more than a telling off, it is officially recorded as a offence on your police record. To be cautioned you have to admit the charge & accept the caution as opposed to going through a prosecution & trial. The 'telling off ' bit us usually done in a formal meeting with a more senior officer.

Was trying to keep it simple!!
  • MattC59 wrote:
    CrackFox wrote:
    mclarent wrote:

That's class, that is :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I got caught by the fuzz this morning too, ...but that was a different experience altogether :)

Reminds me of a classic Humphrey Lyttelton line from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue:

"Samantha tells me she has to nip off now as she's auditioning as an extra in The Bill. She's really looking forward to that: according to the script her character gets fingered by the fuzz."

;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal