39 today!!!!

Gizmokev
Gizmokev Posts: 146
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Ok so today is my 39th and I am going to go riding but which trail to ride.....advice welcome.

CYB or LLandegla????

Also if anyone is about and free to join me let me know and we can share the spills and fun.

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Can't make either mate but happy birthday!

Not done Llandegla, but loved CYB.

Whatever you do - enjoy.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Happy birthday.

I turned 44 last week, and still feel like a kid everytime I get on my bike.
  • Happy Birthday, have a good ride!
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I remember being 39 once, make the most of this year 'coz you'll be in your 40s next. :lol:
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    39 a week on Friday.. Flying out to Dubai on Sunday for the week (for work), but pub crawl on Friday with the ex-pats in the office,, me thinks so :D
  • 39 is just a year away from midlife crisis.................then you can spend all your money on your dream bike and dont have to justify it to anyone! I treated myself to the wrong side of £3K bike on my 40th and still loving every ride with it. "its my birthday present to myself" and not wife or friends had any issues!
    Happy 39th...................................................roll on 40!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    39 a few months away, next stop middle age :shock:.

Though statistically for a bloke I'm middle aged already.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    deadkenny wrote:
    39 a few months away, next stop middle age :shock:.

Though statistically for a bloke I'm middle aged already.

I guess that makes me geriatric?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Happy birthday! Can't think of anything I'd rather do than go riding for my birthday, unfortunately my birthday falls right between christmas and new year :(

As for the trail centre, CYB over Llandegla any day of the week. More choice of trails, and the trails that are there are longer and more tecnical. :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Happy birthday! Can't think of anything I'd rather do than go riding for my birthday, unfortunately my birthday falls right between christmas and new year :(

As for the trail centre, CYB over Llandegla any day of the week. More choice of trails, and the trails that are there are longer and more tecnical. :)

That must suck having your birthday so close to Christmas! Mine is in September, and i'm verry happy with that, I get presents during riding season (sort of, would prefer my Bday to be in April), and then also xmas presents!
  • Anonymous
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Opportune excuse to get away from relatives and the boredom of xmas telly, and the combined present giving means you're justified even more to make the most of it :D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    deadkenny wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Opportune excuse to get away from relatives and the boredom of xmas telly, and the combined present giving means you're justified even more to make the most of it :D
    It's more the fact that the weather is crap and nobody wants to go riding as they're either with family, are drunk or hung over!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    39 is just a year away from midlife crisis.................then you can spend all your money on your dream bike and dont have to justify it to anyone! I treated myself to the wrong side of £3K bike on my 40th and still loving every ride with it. "its my birthday present to myself" and not wife or friends had any issues!

+1 to this - I turn 40 next week, but treated myself to a Canyon earlier in the year as my present (a) to make the most of the summer/autumn riding and (b) in the vain hope that wife will 'forget' and buy me some other bike bling too....

As a midlife crisis goes, it's fairly tame.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    AMcK wrote:
    39 is just a year away from midlife crisis.................then you can spend all your money on your dream bike and dont have to justify it to anyone! I treated myself to the wrong side of £3K bike on my 40th and still loving every ride with it. "its my birthday present to myself" and not wife or friends had any issues!

+1 to this - I turn 40 next week, .

Me too on the 26th.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Will be 42 in Feb but I feel like im 18 again, problem is my body isn't!!!

and falling off hurts way way more than I remember!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • AMcK
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Me too on the 26th.

Looks like you've treated yourself to a new bike as well - the 2011 Giant 29er?
  • weeksy59
    AMcK wrote:
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Me too on the 26th.

Looks like you've treated yourself to a new bike as well - the 2011 Giant 29er?

Yeah but that's just because the Commencal was a creaky sod and getting on my nerves. Not quite decided what to do for a mid-life crisis yet :)
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    All this talk of birthdays and gettin older, i'll be 38 in feb and im dreading the thought of it. All my life ive been fairly young at heart and i certainly dont feel like a middle aged man so the thought of nearing the big 4-0 in a couple years is eating away at me.

I remember turning 30 and thinking 'this is a huge milestone...' yet here i am coming up to nearly a decade since then and im nearing 40 this time :(:(

Ive got a couple years or so to think what im gon buy myself to ease the pain but it will have to be something pretty special to ease the feelings of actually gettin old :(
  • weeksy59
    jayson wrote:
    All this talk of birthdays and gettin older, i'll be 38 in feb and im dreading the thought of it. All my life ive been fairly young at heart and i certainly dont feel like a middle aged man so the thought of nearing the big 4-0 in a couple years is eating away at me.

I remember turning 30 and thinking 'this is a huge milestone...' yet here i am coming up to nearly a decade since then and im nearing 40 this time :(:(

Ive got a couple years or so to think what im gon buy myself to ease the pain but it will have to be something pretty special to ease the feelings of actually gettin old :(

I may buy a Porsche Boxter today actually lol :)
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    1mancity2 wrote:
    and falling off hurts way way more than I remember!
    +1
    Jayson, get over it, it's not that bad.
    Many happy trails!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Oh. And you're only as old as the women you feel. Yeah man!
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Yeah but that's just because the Commencal was a creaky sod and getting on my nerves. Not quite decided what to do for a mid-life crisis yet :)
    Well, just short of 39 and Nomad sorted, so I need to plan for something else for 40. Sure I can find more bikes, but will run out of space fast. New house is the ideal answer but that means big mortgage. I want to be spending on toys, not mortgages.
  • AMcK
    jayson wrote:

The only time I really think about it is when I think back to when my dad turned 40, and I remember thinking that my turning 40 was such a long way off. And now it isn't.

But the actual event isn't that big a deal really - an excuse to treat myself to a new bike, go for a big ride with my mates, have a party and get some stick from my children, friends and colleagues about it. I think you have to embrace it and enjoy it for what it is. I don't think your outlook on life suddenly changes from 38/39 to 40 from being young at heart and living life to staying indoors in a dark room contemplating the end...

:)

But now I think about it, the worst moment was when my mates and I were looking at a series of rides next year - I'd qualify for the 'veteran' class for the first time.

THAT hit hard!
  • AMcK
    Oh, and I hope the OP had a bloody good birthday on the trails yesterday...
  • weeksy59
    AMcK wrote:
    jayson wrote:
    :)

But now I think about it, the worst moment was when my mates and I were looking at a series of rides next year - I'd qualify for the 'veteran' class for the first time.

THAT hit hard!

Yeah but have you also noticed they're FASTER !!!!!