Not sure what bike to go for..

Robw757
Robw757 Posts: 4
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone, this is my first post :)

I am planning to get back into cycling after a four year break, I previously rode a Specialized MTB which I used on and off road. I live in north wales and have access to a very good paved cycle track so I would like to get some fitness back by getting into riding again.

Problem is I'm not sure what type of bike to get. I am considering getting a Specialized Hardrock sport disc and some road tyres, or a Scott Sub 30 hybrid which I rather like the look of. Only problem is, if I go for the Scott it really limits me to road and cyclepath, whereas the hardrock is definitely an all terrain vehicle. Also I would prefer disc brakes if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Rob

Comments

• -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Don't get a hybrid. I got one and it is really the worst of both worlds. If you you want a good bike for on and some rough stuff have you considered a cyclo cross machine?

-Spider-
  • what was bad about the hybrid, just out of interest? I haven't had a look at cyclocross bikes, will have to check them out!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    How far is your commute?

you may be better with a CX (CycleCross) bike?

waaay faster than a mountain bike and more comfy over distances
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    As I said it was good at nothing - slow on road and unresponsive off. Maybe for touring off road it might be useful as a load carrier. I would recommend you go one way or the other. Or be like me and go both ways (but not on the same bike though :D )

-Spider-
  • The ride to work and back is only about 10 miles, but I want something I can use to get fitter and just enjoy riding. I don't really like road bikes, and I'm on quite a low buget at the moment, so it needs to be a maximum of £500, hence the hybrid route, there are some quite good deals at the moment on 2011 bikes.
  • If you're going to need "proper" off road capability and you can't afford 2 bikes go for the mtb and use slicks/semis when commuting.
    If you aren't then cyclo-cross might be an idea but from where you are and what you've mentioned I think you will need a mtb with a few twists. Make sure sus is lockable and rims can take narrowish tyres - get 29inch wheels if you can perhaps...
    proto-roadies and roadies hate hybrids (if they have one) because they hate to admit they made a mistake in purchasing or get annoyed because they get scalped on them. If one suits the style of what you are doing then get one.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    edited October 2011
    CX bikes often come with discs now. What about a rigid 29er? Somebody on here has a Surly sumfinkorother with drop bars fitted. Pretty much like a CX bike but can take even bigger tyres for silly off roading.
    I've got a Kona Jake CX bike and it's fine for light off roading, but I still take my mountain bike for proper rough stuff.
  • Five miles each way is pretty do-able on any bike. Get whatever you fancy for the weekend if you can only get the one bike, you can make do during the week.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Get a boardman hybrid comp :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Take a look at Edinburgh Bike Coop - some good bikes at reasonable prices including a couple of good CX bikes