Well it's finally arrived....

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
IMG_0701.jpg

i don't think im too keen on the top tube being on a funny angle as it makes the seat post look massively high
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Ohh shiny...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Is that a triple? And you posted a picture of it in the granny ring? Go and pray to the gods of Shimano for breaking the Rules.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I like it. The higher seat-post means that the seat looks high, making you look more aggressively positioned, even if you're not.
  • mudcow007
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Is that a triple? And you posted a picture of it in the granny ring? Go and pray to the gods of Shimano for breaking the Rules.

hand on heart i haven't even ridden it yet...its how it was when i picked it up last night

i didnt even ride in the granny ring on my tricross!!
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

hand on heart i haven't even ridden it yet...its how it was when i picked it up last night

i didnt even ride in the granny ring on my tricross!!

Haven't... Ridden... It..... Yet?

Does not compute.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    It didnt seem that long ago when you were umming and ahhing about getting a Tricross because you couldnt see yourself on drops. Now look at you... When you getting a fixie?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    IMPORTANT

Mudcow, that front mudguard WILL kill you. I did exactly the same installation and faceplanted at 20 odd miles an hour about a year ago. You need to modify so that there is at least a small strut between the leading edge of the mudguard and the front calliper hanger bolt – I did it on mine by taking a piece of spoke, using needlenose pliers to bend loops in either end and a 90 degree bend at the appropriate position. One loop was pop-riveted to the mudguard and the other loop is secured by the brake hanger bolt.

Otherwise what you have is a vibrating mass solely attached by clamps to two upside down, shiny, slippery reverse tapered blades. At some point it will loosen and then immediately fail sliding down the forklegs. The front tyre will then grab the guard and immediately wedge it between tyre and fork crown causing the front wheel to instantly lock and the bike to perform an impression of a Catherine Wheel with your blood and spittle as the sparks.

The author may be engaged in legal action at this time……
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I like it, and if you need some where safe to keep for a while so the puppy doesn't chew up the tyres i have a small space i could squeeze it in.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    i don't think im too keen on the top tube being on a funny angle as it makes the seat post look massively high

I'm not keen on the new spesh top tubes with the bend. I have an 06 Allez and the top tube looks much nicer, and of course faster :)
  • mudcow007
    SimonAH wrote:
    IMPORTANT

Mudcow, that front mudguard WILL kill you. I did exactly the same installation and faceplanted at 20 odd miles an hour about a year ago. You need to modify so that there is at least a small strut between the leading edge of the mudguard and the front calliper hanger bolt – I did it on mine by taking a piece of spoke, using needlenose pliers to bend loops in either end and a 90 degree bend at the appropriate position. One loop was pop-riveted to the mudguard and the other loop is secured by the brake hanger bolt.

Otherwise what you have is a vibrating mass solely attached by clamps to two upside down, shiny, slippery reverse tapered blades. At some point it will loosen and then immediately fail sliding down the forklegs. The front tyre will then grab the guard and immediately wedge it between tyre and fork crown causing the front wheel to instantly lock and the bike to perform an impression of a Catherine Wheel with your blood and spittle as the sparks.

The author may be engaged in legal action at this time……

yikes!

i will get the front one removed until i can fashion a "anti-over-the handle-bars" contraption

thanks for the heads up!
  • mudcow007
    It didnt seem that long ago when you were umming and ahhing about getting a Tricross because you couldnt see yourself on drops. Now look at you... When you getting a fixie?

that is a fickle mind of the Mudcow for you

to be honest i already have a possible fixie candidate :shock:
  • Just missing one of these to combine your two new loves.

deluxe-dog-bike-basket-friends-on-tour-front-box-pet-carrier--1722-p.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mission report:-

bike is waaay faster than my Tricross, and seems a lot more comfortable too

weird issue with shifters to go up or down on the chain ring requires two clicks of the shifter. Ive never had this before on any of my previous bikes

Oh an them mud guards rattle something awful!

happy with it though
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    mudcow007 wrote:
    weird issue with shifters to go up or down on the chain ring requires two clicks of the shifter. Ive never had this before on any of my previous bikes

That's just the trimming you'll get used to it, the ones on my old bike were softer clicks than the proper shifting ones (probably because they weren't shoving a chain around) It's just so you can stop the chain rubbing on the front mech.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You are dead to me now....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    prawny wrote:

That's just the trimming you'll get used to it, the ones on my old bike were softer clicks than the proper shifting ones (probably because they weren't shoving a chain around) It's just so you can stop the chain rubbing on the front mech.

ahh cool thanks for that, i was getting freaked out as it didnt happen on Tricross

thanks!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Pfffttt - there are no "Gods of Shimano."

Only Campagnolo.
  • mudcow007
    You are dead to me now....

do you have an address to send my cape back too?

i will have to get t'other Tricross, my Sectuer is a nightmare on mud