Strava help

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Or more a check.

I connected my Garmin for the first time to Strava this morning. The computer asked me if I was OK letting Strava have access to it and I accepted. The Strava site showed my Forerunner then sat there for about 15 minutes with a "Searching For Activities" timer on the screen. Is this normal for a first connection of a Garmin that must be bursting at the seams with data? I'm familiar with what Garmin Connect does and in what order but I have no idea if Strava has hit a dead end or is just doing its normal thing (not great design in that respect).

Ta
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Think JG saw similar and had to clear out the majority of his rides to get performance to perk up.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Yup, normal.

My garmin with under a year of commuting can take about that long before it finds activities. This is every time I connect it up.....
    As the garmin site is quicker I suspect they could do some tweaking to speed it up...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    dhope wrote:
    Think JG saw similar and had to clear out the majority of his rides to get performance to perk up.
    Indeed. Worked a treat that.

Shame my 705 is now dead. Could spend to get it refurbed or could splash out on a shiny 800...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • meanredspider
    Cool - thanks folks. I wonder if Garmin is quicker because you download the little helper app?

What's a sensible number of rides to leave on there?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    My 800 started playing silly buggers after about 250 rides so I downloaded them to the computer and wiped the FIT files. No more problems.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jonginge
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    My 800 started playing silly buggers after about 250 rides so I downloaded them to the computer and wiped the FIT files. No more problems.
    Just looking at the specs of the 800 (for some reason) and it says under memory:
    Lap history: 1000 laps
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • meanredspider
    I was looking for how many rides Strava will accept sensibly in one download. I don't want to wipe my Garmin of everything and start all-over with Strava. It's a relatively new Garmin (my last was run over...) so there's a max of 124 trips on there - typically an hour each.
  • Wrath Rob
    I uploaded all of my rides from March onwards, which was ~250 files. There's nothing stopping you copying all of your files to your computer, deleting 1/2 (or whatever) of them, uploading those to Strava and then deleting those, copy the other 1/2 back over and then upload them. Just bear in mind, each time you upload Strava will scan the entire device looking for new files. It is faster than the first time but still isn't amazingly speedy.
  • meanredspider
    Cool - once they're uploaded, I'll wipe the device. I could also just download the better ones from Connect then upload to Strava. But at least I now know that it's working which is what I didn't know this morning so thanks everyone for that.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JonGinge wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Indeed. Worked a treat that.

Shame my 705 is now dead. Could spend to get it refurbed or could splash out on a shiny 800...

Get it refurbed, then flog it and get an 800
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    On a related note does anyone use Strava on an iPhone or Android device? I see they're supported. I need a new phone (my original iPhone is literally falling apart after three and a half years of service) and fancy getting in on the Strava action and thought I could kill two birds with one brick(albeit an expensive metal and glass 'brick')
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Wrath Rob
    WillyB uses the iPhone one and it seems to work for him
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Used the iphone last week when the Garmin went on strike. Works ok.
  • meanredspider
    Got Strava working - not surprisingly, I'm racing against a super-fit, incredibly handsome and well-hung bloke (OK, just me then).

I know the power thing is just for fun but I can't get it to work - is it a premium feature?

The upload worked almost straight away this time and was very fast to take all 127 tracks. Last time I looked, though, only about 20 had appeared. I'm guessing that this is also normal?

Finally, I'm seem to have come 2nd (always good in other circumstances) on my segment about 5 times and won it once. What's going on there?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    There was a code on the Strava thread with a code to upgrade to premium. I think power is a premium feature.
    I use Strava on an iPhone 3GS and it's ok. It gives some wierd readings. But for a free app on a phone it's great. If I was a pro racer and wanted full on telemetry I'd pay more for something that worked better.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    JZed wrote:
    Used the iphone last week when the Garmin went on strike. Works ok.

Where ok is 930mph, or was that the Garmin? Cant wait for people to start bitching about certain devices misreading and others to go buy these devices just to look faster :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Hmm, Bryton users not welcome then? Sod you all :x
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    prawny wrote:
    Looks like you can export into gpx files from the Bryton? You can manually load those up...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    JonGinge wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Looks like you can export into gpx files from the Bryton? You can manually load those up...

Yeah but that takes effort. :wink:

Looks like there's something in the pipeline for it. I don't really have the patience for manually uploading things constantly. Starting to wish I'd forked out for a garmin now.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    prawny wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Yeah but that takes effort. :wink:

Looks like there's something in the pipeline for it. I don't really have the patience for manually uploading things constantly. Starting to wish I'd forked out for a garmin now.
    Tell me about it. I just went through the rides I'd taken off the 705 to save space... utter, rsi-inducing tedium
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides