New car

13»

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    Just had my mondeo written off whilst parked up -by another parked car. handbrake failure rolled back about 80feet into mine and smashed mine into the one next to it!!
    Probably looking at an estate version this time-been a great car.
    Like the look of the new volvo estates tho.
    audi and bmw too expensive when you peel back the layers your just paying for the name.(passat pretty similar)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • I've got a Volvo V50 T5 R Design and I love it. Very comfortable, nice to drive and surprisingly fast when you floor it ( as a very surprised Golf GTI owner the other night will verify!) . Also understated. Built quality has been brilliant, stereo is great and I can get the bike in the boot complete if I fold the rear seats down.

Appreciate the T5 might not be for everyone, (23-25mpg) but I only do 6k miles a year. The 2.0d isn't as fast but is swift enough for most and does over 40mpg.
  • I have a 09 plate Volvo v70 Ive had from new and its been completely faultless for 50000 miled, best car I've had by far. Averages 44mpg all day which isn't bad for a 2.0d and isn't slow at all. Loads of room inside even with the seats up - roof rails on top for racks etc. And the spec was the best I could get on any car for the money at the time - cruise, dual climate, elec. Seats its even got a digital compass built into the mirror for some reason. I'm a mechanic by trade and have never had a Volvo in with anything more than regular maintenance type repairs which made my mind up - imo it doesn't look bad for an estate either.
    Boardman Team Hard Tail
    Specialized Allez
  • Aston martin DBS? :lol:
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.

--Ernest Hemingway
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Yep my Volvo does the same however the 44mpg the computer tells me I've done relates to a real world 36.4mpg......
    Paul
  • crom7
    crom7 Posts: 83
    Just tried the Mondeo Estate and the Volvo v50 both 2 litre turbo diesel with similar 48 mpg fuel economy (didn't manage to get to the citroen sorry Gary)

The v50 is a really nice looking car but has a small boot however, i was thinking about getting a decent roof rack and box if i go for it. The Mondeo on the other hand ...well....you could fit a small country in the boot!! Has a pretty good spec too.

hmm...dilemma!!
  • don't expect anything like 48mpg with a roof rack and/or box
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I would say no to the V50 - its not that much bigger than the V40 - to justify the price increase.

When we were looking around we saw it as really a half way house - neither at 40 or a 70, so discounted it straightaway.

Even the guy at the garage said he really couldn't se the point in it (and he wasn't trying to push us helter skelter towards the 70 either).
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    SAAB 9-5 Sport Wagon. 1.9 turbo diesel. 42 - 45 mpg.

Two bikes in the boot with all the seats up. The comfiest car you will ever ride in. Hewn from Swedish granite. And now very cheap, er I mean, good value.

Just noticed previous post. Sold my V50 D5 to buy the SAAB. Just too small. Great performance, but not big enough for a 'proper' estate car. The D5 motor was bonkers though and I really do miss the growl from the engine when you gave it a bit of stick. Fabbo noise.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    How much longer will Saab as a car company be around? Don't they change ownership every other week?