Infinity: Reflections in two mirrors

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
In that past I had assumed that if it were possible to stare directly head on into a mirror with an identical mirror positioned behind then the reflections would continue for infinity or at least until all the light became obscured by imperfections in the mirror, dust in the air etc. etc.

So how far do the reflections of two mirrors facing each other go?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    At each reflection in real-world mirrors some light energy will be absorbed or scattered by imperfections. So the answer is "it depends on how good your mirrors are"
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    SimonAH wrote:
    At each reflection in real-world mirrors some light energy will be absorbed or scattered by imperfections. So the answer is "it depends on how good your mirrors are"

As i suspected, so this could be a good quality control test for mirrors?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Only start worrying when one of the reflections waves back....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Not sure, I will have to look into it.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    In that past I had assumed that if it were possible to stare directly head on into a mirror with an identical mirror positioned behind then the reflections would continue for infinity or at least until all the light became obscured by imperfections in the mirror, dust in the air etc. etc.

So how far do the reflections of two mirrors facing each other go?

Staring into a mirror or a pint?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    itboffin

Are you trying to justify staring at yourself in the mirror all day?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The lifts in the Food Centre car park in Milton Keynes allow this experiment to be repeated at leisure; there are two answers:

One is that you don't see much as you can only see yourself; by definition you can't step out of your own eye-line to see round your own reflection; hence the answer is one.

Two: You can stare down the barrel of what should be an infinite number of reflections of your own kids (or someone else's but the parents tend to get a bit shirty if you stare for too long or too hard at them), and it maxes out at about <not that many surprisingly>. I put it down to the poor reflective qualities of the lifts' mirrors, and the lack of decent lighting.

Sorry. What was the question? It's a good one, certainly worthy of reflection.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344

I thought you CX types didn't have a reflection
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns

I thought you CX types didn't have a reflection

Foolish boy.

That's vampires.

We're WAY cooler than Vampires.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    to add some fuel to the fire, whilst sitting on the throne in our holiday house the reflection turned into a black rectangle after not many whatevers, now would that be because of my seated angle? the slightly green tint to the light? or something else?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That's where CX bikes come from 8)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Was this rectangle full of stars?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    There's a bunch of quantum physics equations that govern this but you can measure it as the efficiency of a laser cavity.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:
    to add some fuel to the fire, whilst sitting on the throne in our holiday house the reflection turned into a black rectangle after not many whatevers, now would that be because of my seated angle? the slightly green tint to the light? or something else?

Never mind the waving - worry when you can see the back of your own head - especially that irritating bald patch 8)
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:

Never mind the waving - worry when you can see the back of your own head - especially that irritating bald patch 8)

That's your face
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:

That's your face