Handlebar position

TownyDC
TownyDC Posts: 157
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hi, have been riding Mtb's now since my early 20's and have recently got back into it a few years back at 40 after having a break of about 4 to 5 years. Having just bought my first suspension bike (Anthem X4) my first reaction was to push the handlebars forward by a few degrees. On the bar there are scales from 0 to 5 and 0 to -5.
After a recent jaunt to a trail centre with a few pals i was advised to drop my bars back to a zero angle setting to see how i got on with the postion, in case i was over stretching. I was told by a mate that i probably always adjusted the bar angle due to the fact that i am an old BMXer who always like his Renthal bars at around 90 deg to the ground and not follwoing the contour of my Raleigh Ultra Burner forks.
i have now reset my bars to a "shop bought" position.
How if any, will this affect my ride and does anyone else have the same bar phiosophy as i used to have?
Towny

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The best way is to experiment - see what feels best! Really is no right or wrong. Take your allen keys out and have a play.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    what SS said and TBH control positions make more of a difference make sure that the controls are in a straight line with your forearms so you aren't bending your wrist up or down , especially after you have altered the bars . It may feel odd at first but will help stop you getting numb hands .
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    What they said. It can take a while to get your cockpit set-up just right but it's worth the effort. It might take you a few rides before you find the right position so keep trying different set-ups until you're totally happy.
    Many happy trails!
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    My guess is that you've got to ride with how comfortable you feel. The comment about ex-BMXers being over the front wheel too much would probably be more relevent if you kept going over the bars.
  • NatoED wrote:
    what SS said and TBH control positions make more of a difference make sure that the controls are in a straight line with your forearms so you aren't bending your wrist up or down , especially after you have altered the bars . It may feel odd at first but will help stop you getting numb hands .

I deliberately have my levers high to force my wrists down, so as to force the front wheel through, rather than into obstacles when descending.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a personal thing. I like mine set up so my hands are straight in line with my forearms.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NatoED
    [quote="supertwisted"

I deliberately have my levers high to force my wrists down, so as to force the front wheel through, rather than into obstacles when descending.[/quote]

you need to watch out for that . prolonged position such as that can lead to vibration white finger ( like typists that drop their wrists ) as it restricts the blood flow to your fingers . the back of your hand should run parallel to your arm while in the attack position as it opens up the veins carrying blood to and from your fingers .
    It also helps reduce stress on the wrist joints and possible over rotation if you jar your front wheel . the force moves up your arm instead of flexing your hand back and possible over rotating the wrist joint .

A friend of mine used to run his brake levers almost parallel to the ground and though i was mad runniing mine at 45 deg down untill he tried it. It felt more natural and comfortable to use the brake levers and control .

Most people will find a downward dihedral of between 30 and 50 deg depending on hand size , frame geometry , fork height ect .

To get an idea of what i mean look at the under side of your wrist . when you tilt the wrist up it tightens over your veins and they are closer to the surface . Tilting the wrist down and you skin loosens allowing the veins to become unrestricted so blood can flow easier even when pressure is applied to that area ( much like holding onto handle bars of a bike) .
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Thanks guys for the responses, was due to go out on Wednesday to see how i got on with the new position but have succumed to a bout of "man flu". i'll let you know how i get on when i ride next.
  • NatoED
    it's a pitty x-lite don't make those massive riser bars still . You'd love them from a bmx back round