1st 'commute' - is it always that mental?

lifeform
lifeform Posts: 126
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I never commute on the bike - don't need to, mainly work from home. I only ever ride in the evenings and weekends. However, today the car needed it's oily bits seeing to, so at 8am I slung the roadie and my shoes in the boot and took it the two and half miles into town to the garage, intending on a leisurely dawdle back home for brekkers.

So, 2.5 miles back through Hove (a bike-aware place generally) in morning rush hour...

How hard can it be?

Well... I'd run out of swear words after the first half mile, had four pedestrians hurl themselves into my path - including one who froze solid, and as I was on the hoods nearly took me and the bike to her leg.

The most incredible event though - bus 40yds behind me, car 40 yds in front. Car goes through a pedestrian crossing, and the 30-odd people at the crossing all decided that there was enough space between the car and the bus to cross the road... Cyclist? What cyclist?

The cars were pretty well behaved, but bloody hell the foot-fodder are suicidal.

An eye opener, and a new found respect for those who brave that sort of lunacy every day.

I've been debating getting a Brompton for when I'm in our City office - it's just far enough from London Bridge for it to be a nuisance walk - but after this morning I think I might stick to walking.

Comments

• Hey guys! The first time I did a new thing it was harder than I expected! Like..... OMG!

Seriously though, you get used to it, and develop the ability to better predict pedestrians and their lunacy, thereby avoiding a lot of hassle. London peds are certainly a bit more aware than their country cousins, or at least it seems so to me. However, be prepared for lots of hassle at ped crossings!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I find screaming

"RAMMING SPEED"

works wonders.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • That's why I'm glad that my company do 'flexible working hours'.
    I go in early and come home early to avoid the peak traffic times.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Most people seem unable to comprehend a cyclist travelling over 10mph, so best assume that they haven't seen you. I sometimes say "boo" loudly when I go past, and do shout at woman who push their prams into the road without looking (that isn't funny).

I just pretend the world has been taken over by zombies (pretty close) and I need to get to my station to be evaluated.

++working from home.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    lifeform wrote:
    The most incredible event though - bus 40yds behind me, car 40 yds in front. Car goes through a pedestrian crossing, and the 30-odd people at the crossing all decided that there was enough space between the car and the bus to cross the road... Cyclist? What cyclist?

The cars were pretty well behaved, but bloody hell the foot-fodder are suicidal.

That pretty much sums up most commutes in London for me; drivers are generally predictable (with the exception of the tart in the Merc ML on Putney Bridge this morning who swerved into the cycle track for no reason, times like that I wish my keys were more accessible or that I carried a d-lock) but pedestrians are just wrong in the head.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ...you get used to it, and develop the ability to better predict pedestrians and their lunacy, thereby avoiding a lot of hassle...

+1
    With practice you develop your spidey senses and 'feel' danger before it happens (sometimes). Keep at it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Assume you're invisible to pedestrians. Most people don't actually look before crossing unless they hear an engine.

Even then, I had someone this morning stop at the kerb, look directly at me and make eye contact, then step off the kerb directly into my path as I bore down on them at 25mph. Cue swerving, hauling on the anchors and copious swearing. I must have missed her by centimetres.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    You'll probably start to notice that the same incidents crop up at the same points again so as you get more aware of the route then you'll adapt.

Actually, as I type I would also say that some roads just aren't worth the hassle so do think about taking a detour. Routes are habit forming and you can end up putting with the same aggro repeatedly when you don't have to.

I've also been experimenting recently with not looking directly at pedestrians. It seems that they then think you haven't seen them so don't assume that you'll stop. It's not scientific advice of course.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The bit through Putney and Fulham to me is far more fun than Richmond Park.
  • nation wrote:
    Assume you're invisible to pedestrians. Most people don't actually look before crossing unless they hear an engine.

This

Happens everyday people step out staring down at phones, mp3's etc because they dont hear an engine. Prehaps ill attach a speaker to the bike and put the sound of an engine on my ipod :)

Then you get the people who clearly see you and believe that you will fly off into the sky with ET in your backpack and avoid them :roll:
  • lifeform
    lifeform Posts: 126
    The crossing incident was an interesting demonstration of the herd mentality of humans.

Lights were green for traffic, gap in traffic, the first guy who stepped off was clearly looking at me, as was the second, and neither presented any real threat, nor did I need to avoid them... but those two stepped off and a second later the rest of the pack just went without so much as a glance.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    I just pretend the world has been taken over by zombies (pretty close) and I need to get to my station to be evaluated.

You hit the nail on the head!

When you're on the road assume that nothing is impossible, because even when you do someone/thing will surprise you. I wouldn't let it put you off though because close calls are all part and parcel of commuting - unfortunately :?
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Pru
    Pru Posts: 53
    28 Days Later :O
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    You know that film of the wildebeest crossing the river? Perfect analogy - peds are herd animals with no survival instinct - treat them as such 8)

Also be aware that they get worse when weather is wet or windy
  • Problem?

pedestrians_road_1364083c.jpg

Solution !

1896_army_bike-769051.jpg

Simples
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Problem?

Solution !

Simples

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed a pre order for one on wiggle :D
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Were you wearing urban camouflage (often sold has hi viz jackets) I always find that when I wear it I become as invisible as a stealth bomber :)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Problem?

Solution !

Simples

Errr they are crossing on the green man signal, that's not a problem.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:

Not if you're a serial RLJ'er it isn't :wink:

Besides, my Google-Fu was weak last night -I couldn't find a picture using the search term "stupid peds"

However, Jedi powers refreshed after a calming commute this morning;

Bike+Messengers+vs+Pedestrians+on+Vimeo-6.jpg
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    t4tomo wrote:

Not if you're a serial RLJ'er it isn't :wink:

Besides, my Google-Fu is weak -I couldn't find a picture using the search term "stupid peds"

20110627_475505_01.jpg

You're welcome.
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    lifeform wrote:
    . . . Well... I'd run out of swear words after the first half mile, had four pedestrians hurl themselves into my path - including one who froze solid, and as I was on the hoods nearly took me and the bike to her leg.

The cars were pretty well behaved, but bloody hell the foot-fodder are suicidal. . . .

Lifeform - get a good bell and use it - frequently!
    Foot-fodder tend to stop when confronted wth manic bell ringing - though not always!

Red Brompton S6L