SRAM shifter - Shimano front derailleur problem

winterdancer
winterdancer Posts: 42
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, am puzzled by the problem I'm having (well, my bf is having) with a SRAM-Shimano combo front shifter and derailleur.

He's got an X7 shifter and an LX front derailleur, but the shifter seems to be moving the front derailleur too far with each shift - i.e. one click brings derailleur from the small to the big ring, a 2nd click would (if the chainring wasn't stopping it) bring the derailleur out towards the crank... I've read on some forums that the ratios on SRAM and Shimano are different (1:1 and 2:1), and to me, that's what's happening here. But others say there's no problem, especially with the front derailleur.

SO, does anyone have any suggestions as to what else is going on, if the shifter and derailleur are supposed to be OK together?

Thanks in advance for promoting domestic harmony :-)

Comments

• SRAM and Shimano shifters aren't compatible with the other brand mech.

Shimano will work with Shimano and SRAM with SRAM but you can't mix and match as they have different cable pull ratio's.

He needs to buy some new kit :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is incorrect - true for most rear mechs, but FRONT mechs are totally compatible.

Have a look at the cable - does it enter the cable bolt correctly? Routed ok?
  • Thanks for the answers. @ supersonic: It's a top routed cable, and the mech is a dual pull, but there's only really one way to route the cable, isn't there? Straight to the clamping bolt. Thing is, it's not some fine tweaking that is needed, it's WAY off. That's why I was putting money on the parts being incompatible. @ WP yep, he needs to buy new kit, but it should be for me not for his bike :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cable can go either side of the bolt and it makes a difference. There will be a groove.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    WisePranker

bach to the books for you.

as long as they are the same speed (IE one is not 10spd they will work perfectly)

as above the cable will be the wrong side of the bolt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown