Bit of warranty advice needed..

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Ok, so wel all know the ins and outs of how poorly fitted and sealed the BB30 bearings seem to be on the Boardman hardtails...

Skipping over that, I need a bit of advice about where I stand/what to do or expect?

I had my bearings replaced by reputable bike shop about a month ago and done 5 maybe 6 rides on the Boardman since (Been riding the Canyon).

Now my bearings are going again. They're stiff, gritty and creaking/clicking like hell.

So what do I do?

1) argue it out with Halfords that the bike is not fit for purpose (I've only had it 6 months - I'd take the invoice of the work done by the LBS to prove work has been carried out)
2) argue it out with halfords and let them service it?
3) go back to the LBS and get them cleaned/replaced every other month?

I'm not trying to winge/moan as I do genuinely love the bike.... i'm just really not happy with the bottom braket/crank setup.

Cheers

Comments

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Does your LBS agree that its the frame sealing that is a problem, can you get it in writing from them to say that this fault will reoccur?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    1 and 2, Halfords will know the problem if it is a genuine issue with the bike.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you been back at all to Halfords with this problem? Technically you may have invalidated the warranty anyway by visiting another shop and having the bearings replaced. Though you could argue the problem lies with the shell and seals, not bearings.

I'd also take it up with the LBS - the bearings they fitted should have lasted longer too.

There was a problem with some BB30s on Boardmans ie were not fitted correctly. I'd ask them to take the unit out and check.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BB30 in general seems to be attracting a lot of this sort of complaint, not too good...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic wrote:
    Have you been back at all to Halfords with this problem? Technically you may have invalidated the warranty anyway by visiting another shop and having the bearings replaced. Though you could argue the problem lies with the shell and seals, not bearings.

I'd also take it up with the LBS - the bearings they fitted should have lasted longer too.

There was a problem with some BB30s on Boardmans ie were not fitted correctly. I'd ask them to take the unit out and check.

Hmm maybe... does it invalidate the warranty? I'm not sure.

Not sure where to take it then. Agree that the bearings should have lasted longer (assuming it is the bearings - if they have dislodged in the shell or worn at an angle I imagine it would have given the same effect), they were high quality enduro bearings... so surely there has to me something else going on?

I've only ridden in 1 wet ride... and that was only a bit of drizzle!

I'm almost convinced that its the BB30 unit its self. The last time this happened in almost exactly the same length of time.

I don't necessarily want anything back... I just want it sorting :(
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited October 2011
    I bought a boardman CX at the weekend, got all of 6 miles before the BB was cracking and creaking painfully loudly. It's at Halfords now, they're going to replace the bearings. We'll see if the new ones are any better.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I'm swaying towards halfords tbh.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I have recently bought a Zesty 214, and as everyone knows, the press-fit BBs tend to wear out pretty quickly.

My thoughts were to replace the Shimano BB with something decent (maybe a ceramic BB), but maybe I can get a replacement, once it happens, under warranty. (?)
  • supersonic
    I'm swaying towards halfords tbh.

I would - you bought the bike there! If there is a problem (and you or rhe LBS has not compunded it lol) they have a duty to sort it.
  • Ho'ok... I'm really depressed about the whole thing. 1st time I move to anything other than a shimano HT2 chainset in 6 years and this happens.. bloody typical!
  • supersonic
    One problem which could be an easy remedy ain't too bad!
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    bails87 wrote:
    I bought a boardman CX at the weekend, got all of 6 miles before the BB was cracking and creaking painfully loudly. It's at Halfords now, they're going to replace the bearings. We'll see if the new ones are any better.

Some of the BBs from BBLs were put in horrendously! You don't even need to replace the cartridges to get rid of the problem.
  • Id go back to your LBS and explain the situation reguarding the problem with the BB's and their original fitting, so they will hopefully agree with you that the problem surrounds the bike/original build, and with thier support(possibly via a letter stating the original problem) go to halfords to state the bike is not fit for purpose, especially as they are probably aware of the problem.
    Tell halfords, if they ask why you went elsewhere with the fault initially, that you needed the bike, had no choice, they could do it there and then or they were easier to get to for the repair.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Id go back to your LBS and explain the situation reguarding the problem with the BB's and their original fitting, so they will hopefully agree with you that the problem surrounds the bike/original build, and with thier support(possibly via a letter stating the original problem) go to halfords to state the bike is not fit for purpose, especially as they are probably aware of the problem.
    Tell halfords, if they ask why you went elsewhere with the fault initially, that you needed the bike, had no choice, they could do it there and then or they were easier to get to for the repair.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    heez29 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Some of the BBs from BBLs were put in horrendously! You don't even need to replace the cartridges to get rid of the problem.

Well, they've been run wonky/dry (whatever the problem is) for a bit, so I'd rather get new ones put in properly and hopefully have it fixed for good. That's what they offered to do, it's no real incovenience to be without the bike for a couple of days (still got the roadie for commuting and the MTB for MTBing) so I'll let them do it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Woke up this morning and had a look over the bike, the cranks are practically seized.
    No wonder I found it hard going at the weekend.