Baggage

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
So when I go out for a long road ride, I just shove loads of gels, flapjacks and waterproof if me back pockets, big bottle of water on the frame. So why do I normally see MTBers out with a rucksack? Is it just to stop things bouncing out of one's jersey?
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably a Camelbak or similar - has a hydration bladder in it.
    Or may be just a rucksack.
    http://www.camelbak.com/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And lots of MTB'ers don't use jerseys with pockets. Need lots of space for tools, pies etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine has a proper pump and tube, multitool, mechhanger, usually a light waterproof and sometimes a heavier one too or a warmer layer. Gets to be a lot of stuff to carry around in pockets.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It started way back in the mists of time when MTBers were fed up of getting ill from imbibing germs, or just swallowing mud/sheep sh*t from spattered bottles - When bike specific bags that kept the weight nice ,stable and comfy on our backs, most of us never turned back...

Plus you re going alot furhter off the beaten track on a long MTB ride so you need to take some more exotic spares than is needed on a road ride - There is limited chance of being able to get a bus/taxi/otehr half/mum ride home of something goes wrong - and these quickly overwhelm (or get bounced out of) jersey pockets - saddle bags have their own problems too
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Northwind
    Also I've very rarely gone for a ride with people that use bottle cages, that didn't at some point involve someone losing a bottle.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Or landing on top of you when you go over the bars, just to add insult to injury.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Most people seem to use hydration packs of varying sizes, I have a big one which can hold 3 litres of water in a bladder, 330mml pump, tools, mechhanger, puncture kit, tubes, zipties, waterproofs, pads food, iphone keys wallet sunnies, extra lights, batteries. Pretty much anything you might need (I may not carry all of that all the time mind) I can also strap a helmet on to it. I also have another pack which can can 2 litres and a puncture kit and micro pump. A pack keeps things neat stops things slopping about, it also means it is always pre packed (except a water change) so things do not get forgotten, it also mean you don't get a water bottle covered with crap and chemicals which is what happens when its mounted on a tube.

But that's just my preferences mind, do what works for you.
  • ajoten
    ajoten Posts: 321
    Interesting, cheers chaps. I'd never thought of the poisoned bottle thing, wish I had while getting in a tiz choosing a bottle cage of a colour that complimented the frame.

Having a spare mech hanger is well hardcore. And if past experiences are owt to go by, perhaps it's worth carrying a couple of spare (human) ribs in me ruckie too.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited October 2011
    No rocks in the road andrew...

I ve ripped mechs off riding perfectly innocent trails when I ve been concentrating too much on ribbing my mates, not the trail!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I still use a bottle in a cage. Not a great fan of Hydration packs. Met a couple of people who have become very sick because of not cleaning them correctly (their own fault I guess) so think I'll take my chances with the sheep poo :wink:

My 550ml bottle does limit my range til I need a refill to about 2.5hrs riding though - that's in the summer. Obviously get further now the weather is cooler
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Mojo_666
    I still use a bottle in a cage. Not a great fan of Hydration packs. Met a couple of people who have become very sick because of not cleaning them correctly.

No difference for bottles, bladders and bottles need to be treated the same.
  • cooldad
    My bladder gets emptied and stuck in the freezer. Problem solved. Only ever put water in it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:
    My bladder gets emptied and stuck in the freezer. Problem solved. Only ever put water in it.

haha! Good system - very clever!

I'm more of a homemade-isontonic man myself and the bottle goes in the dishwasher

Although when I get the DH bike I think I'm gonna have to jump on the hydrapack bandwagon as DH and cage/bottles really don't go together - literally, I don't think there's mounts or space for a bottle
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    ajoten wrote:
    Having a spare mech hanger is well hardcore

Nah, not really. Takes 2 minutes to change one if you've got a spare, but it's a huge hassle if you break one and you don't. And they weigh nowt. (I've got 3 in my pack I think, for 3 different bikes)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mojo_666
    cooldad wrote:

+1 to that.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I carry a cheap foldable tyre in mine as i had a blowout once around 5-6 miles from home and it SUCKED BALLS to walk back
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    My hydration pack saved my back once after a big off. I went A over T and hit the deck hard enough to burst the water bag. Gave me a proper soaking but probably took quite a bit of energy out of the fall.
  • These are one of the best on the market, no need to look for anything before you go out just grab the hydration pack and go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5QQDHtk5IY
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    S-M wrote:
    I carry a cheap foldable tyre in mine as i had a blowout once around 5-6 miles from home and it SUCKED BALLS to walk back

I carry some tyre repair patches from Park for those incidents. Not needed to use them yet, but they look like they'll work great.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I need to look into these tyre patches a little more, cheers!
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)