Bloody wind

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Am I the only wuss who bottles riding to work when the wind goes above 25mph :oops:

I can deal with the rain.

I can deal with the cold.

But not the wind.......it really wipes me out :(

Any other wimps out there :? , or do I need to man up :?:

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    You know the answer already . . .
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's the terrible triangle.

Rain
    Wind
    Cold

any 2 of the three I can cope with, but when all 3 hit at once I bail.

I really struggle with the wind sometimes but really you just drop gears until you find one that works and get on with it. Ignore the speedo just keep going and don't worry about it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My legs hate the wind - as do my eyes!

but you do need a dose of .....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

Rain
    Wind
    Cold

Oi M'lado...call your self a northerner?!

pfft I bet you drink shandy aswell don't you

admittingly i have been struggling in the wind recently, get on the drops, drop gear an pedal an keep thinking "there must be a tailwind on the way home"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • it is pretty painful riding in the wind. far harder work rate. i just clear the mind of all thoughts and pedal though it.

must say though, having lightened the road bike, i do get hit by some monster gusts which sends my rolling pretty far into the main road at times. that can be a little scary. especially on the horrible north london roads.
  • Rain
    Wind
    Cold
    Or "Scotland" as it's otherwise known :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rain
    Wind
    Cold
    Steep hills

FTFY :wink:

I bail if the wind is likely to blow me under the wheels of an artic on the Kessock Bridge[/b]
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707

Sun
    Still Air
    Warm Temperature

I really struggle with the wind sometimes but really you just drop gears until you find one that works and get on with it. Ignore the speedo just keep going and don't worry about it.

See above for up here. Though I usualy wear lycra and not Speedo's, but sometimes do struggle with the wind :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It used to bother me, but now I just ride slower and don't worry about how long it takes.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Who's looking forward to the westbound journey home tonight then? Winds of 20mph with gusts upto 43. I predict some drafting fairies. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Koncordski wrote:
    Who's looking forward to the westbound journey home tonight then? Winds of 20mph with gusts upto 43. I predict some drafting fairies. :roll:

me, I'm hoping it stays like this for the journey home; should be fun, make up for the slog this morning.
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    You've got to get angry with the wind and beat it into submission...
  • whichever way i went today it was a headwind. wonder if the ride home will be the same- like i need to wonder !!!!
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've just returned from riding from Dalston to Chiswick and back. All the way there I fought the wind and thought "At least I'll have a tailwind on the return leg".
    It didn't happen. I had leaves blowing into my face there and back and both trips took about 10 minutes longer than usual.

Don't count on the tailwind for the trip home peeps. Sorry to burst your bubbles.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've just returned from riding from Dalston to Chiswick and back. All the way there I fought the wind and thought "At least I'll have a tailwind on the return leg".
    It didn't happen. I had leaves blowing into my face there and back and both trips took about 10 minutes longer than usual.

Don't count on the tailwind for the trip home peeps. Sorry to burst your bubbles.

Do you live in Dalston? I used to be in Stokey so know it well.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Whichever route I take it's a long parabolic curve from start to finish & back again, which means that only a third at most is 'with the wind', thus two thirds of it is fighting the damn stuff.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I do believe. Regardless, it adds 10 minutes or so on - not a huge amount but enough for it not to be a breeze all the way, whether in or out. Chuffing weather.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Joelsim wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Do you live in Dalston? I used to be in Stokey so know it well.

My girlfriend does and I'm staying at hers today.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    Riding in from Lewisham each day and it seems I always have a head wind, even if there was one in the morning it always swaps around for the afternoon.

Mind you though, it was nice for a change to get the right gust direction going through the arches on Tower Bridge this morning......

CiB wrote:
    Whichever route I take it's a long parabolic curve from start to finish & back again, which means that only a third at most is 'with the wind', thus two thirds of it is fighting the damn stuff.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I do believe. Regardless, it adds 10 minutes or so on - not a huge amount but enough for it not to be a breeze all the way, whether in or out. Chuffing weather.
  • I agree.

As above, I can deal with the cold and the rain but the wind does me in. If I had to ride forever in either constant rain or constant wind I would deffo choose the rain.

I am sure that when I started riding it was never this windy. Maybe I was just slow and rubbish and didn't notice it but it seems to have got really bad the last year or two...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You'd love it up here :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • colds not an issue but if the wind is doing a fine job of being massively random directionaly blustery it can get very hary on the racetrack.
    rain is a pita and only if it's super bucketing might I think not to.

lunchtime was more than a bit blustery but it *looks* like it's calmed a little for the show home.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I hate to admit it, but I failed to ride a single inch over the weekend despite promising myself a good long run. That wind out there is just too bloody strong and directionally challenged. It actually blew the up-and-over door on my workshop open overnight last night....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    think I'll give it a miss tonight
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Very Blustery on the way home and it seemed to be coming from all directions of the compass - had a dodgy wobble crossing a T junction - aka wind funnel
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rubertoe wrote:
    Very Blustery on the way home and it seemed to be coming from all directions of the compass - had a dodgy wobble crossing a T junction - aka wind funnel

Yep. I tried turning right at HoP on the way home and the wind was doing a good job of keeping me upright and preventing me turning. Quite disconcerting
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Glad I'm not the only one who struggles :!:

Will have to work on my mental attitude to this....head down and keep spinning..that should do it :wink:

What was interesting, and I've never taken note before, was the drive home took me nearly 40 minutes, and on the bike I'm averaging 55 minutes + keeping fitter and less stressed.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Embrace it.

It's still 10x better than getting public transport! :)
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    That wind was brutal tonight, however a healthy dose of MTFU meant dropping a fair number of drafting fairies in my ultimately futile attempt to catch the chap on the red sigma with kingston wheelers top. Got close several times including stomping on the pedals to shrink the gap along past the royal hospital gardens but you were too quick to beat to the park. i was about 100 yards back byt the time you got to the park end of priory lane. Chapeau! 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    It's the side winds that make it feel like your handlebars are bent which totally confuses the feck out of me!
  • Rain
    Wind
    Cold
    Steep hills
    3rd World Roads

FTFY :wink:

I bail if the wind is likely to blow me under the wheels of an artic on the Kessock Bridge[/b]
    FTFY x 2 :wink:

Isn't that the default for Kessock even on a good day? Last time I rode across it (in June on LEJOG) there were sheep in the air......
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain