Cycling Weekly Sportive Sun 9th Oct

dombo6
dombo6 Posts: 582
Anyone else do this? Are the results up yet? Good route, although quite familiar to me as i ride round there anyway, and i thought the goody bag was pretty good too, couple of DVDs, socks, etc

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I thought it was well organised - well stocked food stops, good directions, nice start / finish venue, plenty of free gels / bars, OK goody bag. Probably just about worth the £25. Bizarre time of year for it, they were very lucky with the weather!
  • We have hijacked it and followed the Standard course arrows without paying, parking outside the official car park space.
    I have to say it was a very beautiful course and we really enjoyed it. I can't obviously comment on the food and goody bags, but it did appear like a good event.
    As usual, not much going on at the HQ, with a stand selling a very limited range of boring snacks and awful coffee... luckily there was a pub as well :D

What's wrong with Britain and food? Do you people not like to eat? :lol:
    left the forum March 2023

• What's wrong with Britain and food? Do you people not like to eat? :lol:

There was a beer festival going on at the pub at the HQ, which is probably more in keeping with what the British like to do :wink:

The tent was hidden behind the physio's, can't say I liked the pints I had, Iron Horse taste like urine. Still a nice touch having it there.

Never done a sportive before so nothing to compare it too, enjoyed the route though. A bit surprised how serious the riders where, I think everyone I saw had racers, lycra and clip on shoes, I expected more fun riders.

Results are up http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/results/
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    MrSpeedy wrote:

There was a beer festival going on at the pub at the HQ, which is probably more in keeping with what the British like to do :wink:

The tent was hidden behind the physio's, can't say I liked the pints I had, Iron Horse taste like urine. Still a nice touch having it there.

Never done a sportive before so nothing to compare it too, enjoyed the route though. A bit surprised how serious the riders where, I think everyone I saw had racers, lycra and clip on shoes, I expected more fun riders.

Tasted a lot of urine then? :wink:
  • MrSpeedy wrote:

You're out of touch... most UK sportive riders take themselves far more seriously than many PRO riders I am aware of... Andy Schleck, to name one...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    MrSpeedy wrote:
    ...Never done a sportive before so nothing to compare it too, enjoyed the route though. A bit surprised how serious the riders where, I think everyone I saw had racers, lycra and clip on shoes, I expected more fun riders...

You're out of touch... most UK sportive riders take themselves far more seriously than many PRO riders I am aware of... Andy Schleck, to name one...

Heh heh, you are not wrong Ugo :)
  • Did this event with a few club mates.

Great route with some nice quiet roads, great views and tough climbs - Whitedown Hill was a b1tch after the drag up Leith Hill :shock:

Very impressed with the organisation, feed stops, marshalling and signage. Having read the many negative comments about the Etape Cymru (£60 entry!) I think this was well worth the £25 paid.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I thought the marshalls were good on the second half but non-existent for the first half of the standard's first loop.

Everything else was good and both results and photos are now up.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Very impressed with the organisation, feed stops, marshalling and signage. Having read the many negative comments about the Etape Cymru (£60 entry!) I think this was well worth the £25 paid.[/quote]

+1
  • Great event. It took me no more than 30 secs to register. A well thought out picturesque course with just the right amount of climbing (for me), great marshalling and a friendly face at the finish. I appreciated the fact that goody bag wasn't filled with the usual tat!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    MrSpeedy wrote:
    A bit surprised how serious the riders where, I think everyone I saw had racers, lycra and clip on shoes, I expected more fun riders.

You'd ride 100 miles *without* lycra?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    MrSpeedy wrote:
    A bit surprised how serious the riders where, I think everyone I saw had racers, lycra and clip on shoes, I expected more fun riders.

You'd ride 100 miles *without* lycra?

Yeah, but I'm really not qualified to argue my case for not wearing it.
    I ride in the same trainers & shorts I run in or go to the gym in, my point was more that I completely misjudged this event.
    I was expecting charity riders, people just trying to complete it for the challenge, maybe more serious than London to Brighton but still a lot of casual riders. It was nothing like that.

Not knocking the serious side, I'd take the next one more seriously, maybe train & buy a more appropriate bike. Not up for lycra yet, sportsdirect polyester cycle top for £7 is how I roll :D
  • denzzz28
    denzzz28 Posts: 315
    I did this sportive with a couple of my mates (standard route), it was my first sportive and I dont really know what to expect and boy! I really bit more than I could chew! it was climb after climb! White down hill was the worse! i have to stop every 30 feet because i was so maxed out.

I did manage to finish but i was soooooo knackered and battered! everything below my waist hurts! i cant imagine if i have done the EPIC route. when i reach the finish line I said to myself "i will not do this again" but looking back now that i have recovered I will definitely do it again. I was a good experience and i cant wait to do another one.

my time was over 6 hours.