Achilles?

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Need some help from the hive-mind please.

Riding in this morning I noticed quite a sharp pain at the back of my ankle/bottom of the calf. Was especially sore when I put any power through the downstroke. Sitting at my desk now and it's gently aching. Never had any pain here before - is this likely to be an issue with my achilles, and if so, should I be resting or managing this at all, or is it just one of those niggles that'll sort itself out?

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I got exactly the same injury and am still suffering from it doing hill sprint interval training. It ached at first and then I was a wally and ran 15k on it.....

I have found that ice has really helped it. If you can pop to the off license and tescos and buy a big bag of ice and a washing up bowl and work with your foot in that so much the better. Ice at first and then when cycling keep your foot as rigid as you can like in a ski boot.

I am then using the method here:

http://www.hypothetic.org/ski/jeff_achilles_st.html

I am still cycling twice a day but have ceased running. Hopefully in a few weeks I can start running again. Go very carefully with this one and if in doubt seek a physios advice as the Achilles can be a real pain.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'd book a physio appointment.

Tendon damage that leads to swelling can feel fine at times; after damaging both my achilles when out running they would feel painful in the morning and a little stiff, but would be fine whilst riding and for most of the day.

Unfortunately as I continued to cycle I continued to damage them.

Couple of ultrasound sessions should see it right. Not worth dicking around with your achilles.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    Sounds expensive though...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Problem with tendon stuff is that it takes AGES to recover since it gets very little blood supply.

You're not an ankle-down pedaller by any chance?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sounds expensive though...

£40 a session-ish. 2 sessions is less than a Rapha jersey.

One of British Cycling's phsios does a few days a week out of a practice in Battersea, which should be convenient for you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    Take it easy, if you inflame the achilles more it will take up to 4 weeks to heal. It has a poor blood supply and therefore healing takes a long time, the ice pack method helps the bloody flow.

I had a slight pain in mine, went mountain biking and then I was off the bike in pain for a month.
  • il_principe
    Problem with tendon stuff is that it takes AGES to recover since it gets very little blood supply.

You're not an ankle-down pedaller by any chance?

Not really. I tend to "ankle" when on long climbs. Didn't even go out on the bike this weekend though, this just came on suddenly this morning. I'll see how it feels on the ride home and maybe rest it tomorrow if it's still sore.

grrrr.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,680
    You changed *anything* on the bike at all for today's ride? Shoes, saddle position, or even a different route with hills you aren't used to early in the ride or something? Cold start, or chasing an early scalp on the road? :)

Be v-e-r-y gentle with it. As above, Achilles injuries are a figurative as well as literal pain. Used to run lots, never had an issue, till one day I bought a different brand of running shoes, on "expert " advice. Three training runs later, my Achilles was trashed and I hobbled about for 4 months.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • il_principe
    Changed nothing. Same commute I ride every morning, same bike, same shoes, same everything. Felt it almost immediately so didn't push too hard. Praying it's just a niggle.
  • Have you changed any other footwear? I first aggravated mine with a new pair of walking boots. Or, have you increased the amount of exercise you are doing (on and off the bike).

If you went to see you GP you would be told: no 1 cause of achilles strain is (any) new footwear, no 2 is an increase in exercise levels.

As previous posters, you have to sort it out otherwise it can quickly degenerate into a long-term condition - once you have damaged the achilles you will be susceptible to further damage in the future. I'm just recovering from my third episode in the last 10 years and it's taken over a year to fully heal (mainly because I keep thinking it's better and play football or something and strain it again).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    I guess you'll find out tonight if there is some real damage, once it has had a day of walking around on. Ignore the prophets of doom and regard it as being a niggle that might last a few weeks. Also give up trying to figure out what caused it - I have always done repetitive sports and I have never fathomed out why a tendon decides to give up the ghost mid way through nothing in particular.

Chances are though, if you've tweaked a tendon, it will remain irritated by doing rather less with it than what caused it to become sore in the first place, which might keep you off the bike for a short time. It might also be that you learn enough from a couple of plysio appointments to take it the rest of the way yourself with appropriate ice/heat/massage/stretches. So for a well heeled Londoner, £100 would probably be a sensible investment.
  • Careful now... You don't want to end up like I did!

Was it a sudden sharp pain while you were riding, or did you notice it more like a twinge that might have happened earlier? Is there any inflammation or heat or bruising? What's it like when you're walking?

Get thee to a physio ASAP and get it ultrasounded - remember how I was in plaster for 9 weeks? Yeah...

ETA: I should add, to avoid making you really paranoid, that mine really bl**dy hurt. Like, really hurt. A lot.

Hopefully you've just tweaked it.
  • First.Aspect
    Careful now... You don't want to end up like I did!

Was it a sudden sharp pain while you were riding, or did you notice it more like a twinge that might have happened earlier? Is there any inflammation or heat or bruising? What's it like when you're walking?

Get thee to a physio ASAP and get it ultrasounded - remember how I was in plaster for 9 weeks? Yeah...

ETA: I should add, to avoid making you really paranoid, that mine really bl**dy hurt. Like, really hurt. A lot.

See, now you are being a prophet of doom.

Best watch out for gangrene.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Do I have to do all the work around here?

MTFU you big jess
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Careful now... You don't want to end up like I did!

Alright poppet, don't get your knickers in a twist.

I have first hand experience of how bloody inconvenient it is to have a torn achilles, and would prefer IP didn't have the same.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I had same issue after my 600 mile trip in July. The pain sort of came on slowly, was a dull aching type, not sharp.

I decided it required rest and was the result of 650 odd miles in just over a week.

Still commute daily by bike and MTB 2 or three times a week, but have cut down road miles and it seems to be all better.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Must be in the air been of sick since Thursday so laid up
    Leg got tender over weekend and last night noticed lump at base of tendon.
    But how did it go only movement was leaping out of bed with the coughing fits :-(
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • First.Aspect
    Careful now... You don't want to end up like I did!

Alright poppet, don't get your knickers in a twist.

I have first hand experience of how bloody inconvenient it is to have a torn achilles, and would prefer IP didn't have the same.
    What, you don't mind him getting gangrene? My god woman, have you no heart?