Stupidity!! would you Jump??

1mancity2
1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Gisburn yesterday was windy, 40mph crosswinds quoted on tinterweb, so we potter down to the downhill section were it is very exposed, decided against doing anything on there as its wide open and windy as hell.

The Hope line was fine nice and sheltered and good fun, but a group of lads (cycle junkies we think) decide to go down to the "Leap of Faith" on the DH section.

30 mins later ambulance and air ambulance inbound, don't know whats happened but it is on the DH section, so to my question,

Would you jump in windy conditions?
Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As a big coward I prefer to keep my wheels near the ground, so no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    not in bad wind no. light to mid wind yes
  • 1mancity2
    Same here thats why I can't understand why they would risk it.

The wind was taking you sideways on the ground!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would try some smaller jumps & see how it feels before hitting big jumps.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    ALWAYS LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP is the best advice i was givern..

i would probably not after learning the hard back in march.

we were at leequarry it was windy insted of following the advice above i just charged through and hit the tables it to was a cross wind aprox 15mph i ended up overjumping the jump bike was off axsis (i tried in vain to pull it back under me) i ended up with a dislocated shoulder broken clavicle and a broken thumb...

it a long walk down from the quarry when your sholder is fooked and a even longer drive home to the nearest hospital.... and it hurts like hell.. the sholder that is...

so my answer would be a definate no..... :oops:
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    me n kieran went lee quarry yesterday, was nice n windy. no real jumping done. just not worth the risk. was weird at lee too. was really blustery. would be calm... then gale force!!! then calm just as quickly again!

edit: and no, wouldn't jump in high winds, its suicide!
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I think it should be common sense to not jump in strong winds. I would not have jumped either.
    Many happy trails!
  • It was hully gully.

Cave rescue logged a callout which I saw via facebook

http://www.cro.org.uk/
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Common sense says do not jump in the wind, I mean what do people expect is going to happen?
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    you can carve into the sidewind if you are very expericnced but i advise never to jump in side winds :)
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    It was hully gully.

There's no jumps in hully gully?
  • I'm not very experienced and did hully gully for the first time yesterday. damn amazing.

Didn't see the helicopter or ambulance though what time was this. We did see a couple of groups Anyone have an Orange piss pot helmet on
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    We rode the "freeride" section at Cwmcarn in the wind until it was clear we were being blown 1+ feet across the trail each time we left the ground. After that we buggered off down the trail where the wind wasn't a problem.
  • CharlieH
    According to the CRO website the rider dislocated his knee so wasn't jump related but man that must have hurt!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Try riding an uplift at Moelfre. It's ALWAYS windy at the top, unless you're super experienced, you just have to be VERY careful. I almost got blown sideways off a few jumps the last time i was there. This was towards the end of the day though and I decided to call it a day as I scared myself a little too much. It's even scarier when you have a tailwind though, just by how fast you're going without even putting in any pedal strokes! :shock:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 1mancity2
    It was hully gully.

My mistake, but still the question stands, I beliebe the rider dislocated his Knee!! ouch
  • 1mancity2
    CharlieH wrote:
    It was hully gully.

There is a small tabletop on the second big berm, as you come down it you can jump and flick the bike sideways (to the left).
  • CharlieH
    1mancity2 wrote:
    CharlieH wrote:
    It was hully gully.

There is a small tabletop on the second big berm, as you come down it you can jump and flick the bike sideways (to the left).

Guess I've missed that everytime I've been down there :)
  • 1mancity2
    CharlieH wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:
    CharlieH wrote:
    It was hully gully.

Its not an odvious table top, but as you come round the berm keep left and it flats out, if you hit it and don't flick the bike, it fires you into the trees, also you can miss it by going to the right on the way out of the berm.
  • delcol
    1mancity2 wrote:
    CharlieH wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:
    CharlieH wrote:
    It was hully gully.

Its not an odvious table top, but as you come round the berm keep left and it flats out, if you hit it and don't flick the bike, it fires you into the trees, also you can miss it by going to the right on the way out of the berm.

you can get some good whips off this i thought it was a little step up jump but could be mistaken not been to gissy for ages .. it is a really good jump to hone your whipping skills on...
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I wouldn't jump no.

It does beg the question though;
    Is it the repsponsibility of the trail owners to close them when they get dangerous?
  • 1mancity2
    delcol wrote:

you can get some good whips off this i thought it was a little step up jump but could be mistaken not been to gissy for ages .. it is a really good jump to hone your whipping skills on...

Might be a step up jump never stopped to look! and yeah it's great for learning to whip the bike round on. :wink:

Get yourself up there the Hope line is coming along nicely.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    Heading up there for the first time this sunday, so hope the weather is ok. But to be honest it could be glorious and my wheels still won't be hitting any great heights(no matter how much i try :cry: )
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • delcol
    1mancity2 wrote:
    delcol wrote:

Might be a step up jump never stopped to look! and yeah it's great for learning to whip the bike round on. :wink:

Get yourself up there the Hope line is coming along nicely.

as soon as this bloody finger is sorted and i get the all clear i will i cant wait to get my new frame built up and ride...

last time we were up gisburn was early summer i did the first bit of the hope line and it was sick.. the jumps were amazing but it ended just after the hucks (drops)
    we sessioned it for a while before pressing on to finish the ride...
  • 1mancity2
    There is a new jump just after the two table tops that you can really fly on, then a berm to take you down the first drop off.

Or you can jump the third jump, then jump the berm to the first drop, pump round over to the second drop and drop in and waz round.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    The rider fell off because he got to the top of one of the big berms and paniced, tried to stop and then realised the berms are too steep to stop on. Over he went and dislocated his knee, same thing happened a while back and the guy bust his ankle, another air ambulance pick up.

Problem is people who aren't overly confident (or competant) are riding Hully Gully, bypassing the qualifier at the top. It's rated black because of the after effects of a fall rather than the technical difficulty of riding it.

Back to the OP, winds and jumping, not a good mix.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • 1mancity2
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Problem is people who aren't overly confident (or competant) are riding Hully Gully, bypassing the qualifier at the top. It's rated black because of the after effects of a fall rather than the technical difficulty of riding it.

Back to the OP, winds and jumping, not a good mix.

Totally agree Stumpy, the amount of times you see people not taking notice of signs etc, not saying don't have a go but ride within your limits.
  • delcol
    yep i agree with both of you on that one..
    ppl bow to peer pressure and take bad shonky advice off of their mates and end up nailing them self i seen it both at gisburn and leequarry. i seen a guy almost nail himself on the slab at gisburn lastyear listening to his mate, i tried in vain to tell him to lower his seat but he would not listen and nose manualed the slab it was not pretty.. and nearly everytime i go to leequarry i see somthing that makes me wince and cringe....
  • 1mancity2
    delcol wrote:
    i tried in vain to tell him to lower his seat but he would not listen and nose manualed the slab it was not pretty.. and nearly everytime i go to leequarry i see somthing that makes me wince and cringe....

Same, ever time someone nearly or does come off you can see it comeing a mile off!