transport for a group of 15

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited October 2011 in MTB general
just got a fue lads intrested in riding dalby as part of the hull uni mtb team yet theres only 1 or 2 that drive is there any mini bus hire with maybe a trialer that will be relitively cheep to get us all down there as we are hoping to do it fairly regularly. thanks
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• We use Budget rental for the uni rowing team, not very cheap, but I don't think any of them are cheap. Not sure about the trailer I'm afraid, we have our own. Could be n idea to contact any big local clubs and try and find out how they do it. Or LBS's in the area to see if they know of anybody who could help.
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    jon1993 wrote:
    just got a fue lads intrested in riding dalby as part of the hull uni mtb team yet theres only 1 or 2 that drive is there any mini bus hire with maybe a trialer that will be relitively cheep to get us all down there as we are hoping to do it fairly regularly. thanks
    Studying English...?

:P
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • PaulBox wrote:
    jon1993 wrote:
    Studying English...?

:P

You think his English is bad, check out this guy:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12805886
    I love how he manages to write i'm properly, but fails at using commas to separate sentences. One giant sentence!

As far as rentals go, my dad always used Thrifty to rent vans, and they seemed decent prices. There are a few private firms in Cambridge we also used, which of course were cheaper, but that doesn't help much.

I did find this after a quick google search, they have a 17 seater minibus available, not sure about trailers though. http://www.arrowselfdrive.com/
  • hi john, pop in and see me at the shop on bev road. we are always planning trips out and i have just the vehicle you need if i can wing it!

ask for stu in the shop.

also, you need a different license if you wish to drive a mini bus if you passed after '97.
    you cannot hire a trailer with a minibus neither..... i have tried!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2011
    Looked into this recently and Thrifty do some cheap deals, but if it's for a long day trip you may struggle as the places don't open late enough so you end up dropping it off next day at twice the price. The rental plus the fuel for a mini-bus, compared to a bunch of people in a number of cars sharing, may work out about the same. Longer and the cars will probably be cheaper.

Generally got to be 21 or over to drive a mini-bus also, and check if you've got D1 or D1E ('E' with trailer), else you've got to apply for it.
    You think his English is bad, check out this guy:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12805886
    I love how he manages to write i'm properly, but fails at using commas to separate sentences. One giant sentence!
    Could be a property lawyer still practising the 'no punctuation' form ;)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    one bus for the bods, one bus for the bikes - sorted.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jon1993
    Sorry, it is called short text; young people use it when they’re typing, some of you oldies may not know this... Ask your sons/daughters they may enlighten you on the subject lol (laugh out loud) don’t worry you’ll get it eventually :D

bobs bikes. Thanks alot thats much appreciated, ill come pay you a visit tomorrow if i get the chance and thats a really good point about the licence problem, not really a viable option without a driver.

Thanks alot everyone!
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jon1993 wrote:
    Sorrie, it iz calld bad spellin ; more onz youse it bekawze we arr thik. lol (laugh out loud) :D

Thanks alot everyone!
    The Alot is better than you at everything
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jon1993 wrote:
    Sorry, it is called short text; young people use it when they’re typing, some of you oldies may not know this... Ask your sons/daughters they may enlighten you on the subject lol (laugh out loud) don’t worry you’ll get it eventually :D

bobs bikes. Thanks alot thats much appreciated, ill come pay you a visit tomorrow if i get the chance and thats a really good point about the licence problem, not really a viable option without a driver.

Thanks alot everyone!

I'm 22. I see the use of short text when you have an old nokia brick phone, but on a computer there is no use as the extra .003 of a second saved by leaving out a letter is useless.

You're welcome though.
  • As a MTB club, do you pay fees etc? Can the budget stretch to buying a van? I know it means maintenance and insurance etc, but it may work out cheaper in the long run if you are using it every week for three years!

None of that was short text, it was just spelt incorrectly!
  • paulbox
    jon1993 wrote:
    :? Would you like me to get my daughter to teach you "short text"?

fue intrested & relitively only saved you one letter over few interested and relatively.

And people ask me why I support the increase in fees... :roll:

At least you're organising something good and perhaps learning how to drive a mini bus at the same time, so perhaps something useful will come out of all this... :wink:
  • jon1993
    sorry, didnt realise this was an english forum. To the people who are helpful and not english teachers....
    We dont really pay fees as such, just split the costs on the day of who ever is going. The cycling club its self was only created this year hense why we are trying to get everything sorted. Thanks alot!
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • cooldad
    It isn't an English forum, but if you are asking something, it shows a bit of respect to the reader to make it easy to read (capitalistion and punctuation as well as a bit of spelling).
    If you can't be arsed, why should anybody else?

One day you may actually even want (or more likely need) a job.

Just thinking about your future. because I'm kind like that.

ps although your post was just rubbish spelling, not txt speak, there is actually a rule against text speak on the forum. Believe it or not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paulbox
    Sorry mate, shouldn't really take the pee, English obviously isn't your first language... ;)

Depending on what cars you have available, my advice would be to get decent racks (either roof or rear mounted) for them. Hiring a mini-bus isn't going to be cheap and you will have a problem hiring one at all if you're below the age of 21.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Is it a proper club recognised by the student union? If not it might be worth setting up that way. Definitely worth getting the SU involved, I reckon

When I was at uni we could get minibuses through the student union for sports clubs. They subsidised the cost, might not be the same at all Uni's though. It also helps with getting a bus in the first place, as they take on the liability not yourselves.
  • cooldad
    MTFU and ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jon1993
    Seriously guys does it really matter lol!
    dmorton - yes it is reconised and we didnt think about that... might be worth investigating.
    bobs bikes has set me up with a very promising possiblity, just have to see about costs and it looks like a very viable option. Thank's again to everyone that had something constructive to say.
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    TneBiker wrote:
    As a MTB club, do you pay fees etc? Can the budget stretch to buying a van?
    When we were at uni and went on big trips we borrowed a uni minibus for the people (as there were strict rules on who could drive the minibuses even if you had a licence for it, how many spare drivers you had to have etc.) and hired a van privately to carry all the kit because anyone could drive the van if necessary.
    We only did this once a year as a summer jolly and the cost was reflected in the price paid for the trip. It didn't work out too expensive if you've got enough people going.

If you're doing it often, you might be able to negotiate a discount with a local hire company, or they might have a crappy van you can hire for less.