How do you...

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
keep your meat and two veg toasty in the depths of winter?

Surely a pair of tights isn't enough is it?

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    you could keep them in an oven at a low temperature? Else warm your plate up before-hand?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • on the commute my normal work trousers are warm enough though i'm very hardy and run hot, so i'm not the best to ask really.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Hmm - that's my 1 criticism of Assos padded winter tights. Was told by Assos I should have bought unpadded and worn shorts under. Trying that this winter.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If you ask very kindly, maybe UE's missus will knit you one of these:
    1744.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hmm - that's my 1 criticism of Assos padded winter tights. Was told by Assos I should have bought unpadded and worn shorts under. Trying that this winter.
    Should have got these
    www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-llfugu-s5-bib-tights/
    At £400 I expect they come with the Assos lady to gently warm your bits for you.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dhope wrote:
    Should have got these
    www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-llfugu-s5-bib-tights/
    At £400 I expect they come with the Assos lady to gently warm your bits for you.

For £400 I'd expect her to do the pedalling too! :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Damn - I've just had to go and have a look at her on the Wiggle website.

I'm sure if I keep checking, I'll catch her with her arms down by her side rather than covering the goods,
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Unpadded tights over bib shorts worked well for me last year.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Thermal bib tights or thermal tights over padded shorts for me last year - I was always warm enough
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I wear unpadded shorts over winter padded bib tights.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • For a few of the chillier mornings last year I resorted to thermal long-johns under super-roubaix tights. Not uncomfortable and definitely very stylish.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    unpadded winter tights with bib shorts underneath.. toasty
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • joelsim
    I bought a pair of tights and 2 pairs of bib tights, all padded so whatever solution needs to work with them.
  • normal padded shorts with 3/4 baggies over for the depths of winter. I do own one very old (1994) thermal cannondale longs from when i did some winter riding back home in the scotland - fecking super roasty.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Thermal bib tights or thermal tights over padded shorts for me last year - I was always warm enough
    +1. Just running with padded bib tights means you need lots of pairs to keep them fresh and avoid crotch rot. And once the weather warms up you can carry on with the padded shorts, so its cheaper than buying 2 sets.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    My balls and willy just contract so far inside my body that I don't have this problem.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I used to have padded tights but when I realised they wouldn't work how I wanted I unpicked the padding save throwing them out. Was a tip I picked up off of another forum.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I did the shorts plus unpadded bibs, this year ill be sporting spesh roubaux full bibs
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Damn - I've just had to go and have a look at her on the Wiggle website.

I'm sure if I keep checking, I'll catch her with her arms down by her side rather than covering the goods,

lol.

Never knew she existed till now!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I just go for the frozen prawn and stroke it back to life when getting changed once I'm at work.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I just go for the frozen prawn and stroke it back to life when getting changed once I'm at work.

This. Or, just run it under the hot tap.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Normal work clothes for me, but remembering to do my zip up helps a lot[/u]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    You could always just give them a rub every now and then. Stop if necessary, but riding no hands whilst playing with yourself would get you noticed.
  • joelsim
    Just my luck to be doing that whilst cycling past a fatty...