Edomondo - route tracking

tank121
tank121 Posts: 201
edited October 2011 in MTB general
does this program have a constant internet connection whilst tracking your route ?

currently using spotty pal which does it all offline

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    No - it just uses the GPS for tracking then will upload data when it gets a internet connection
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • tank121
    tank121 Posts: 201
    that's Sporty Pal!
  • Nickpm
    Nickpm Posts: 5
    Yes and No ..

Yes if you leave online tracking on, - this sends updates to endomondo "XXXXX is out mountainbiking and has track X miles in xxmins xx secs " (but you still need to upload the entire route when you finish riding

If you set it to No it stores the route locally until you decide to upload it..
  • Nickpm wrote:
    Yes and No ..

Yes if you leave online tracking on, - this sends updates to endomondo "XXXXX is out mountainbiking and has track X miles in xxmins xx secs " (but you still need to upload the entire route when you finish riding

If you set it to No it stores the route locally until you decide to upload it..

Really? You sure about that?

When I leave my online tracking set to on, it updates the endomondo webby while I'm out, as well as providing live updates to my route, plotting it on the site as I go. same applies for everyone else who does the same thing on the monthly challenge. No further uploading needed. You just press start at the start of your ride, and stop at the end.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    What Nick said.

Endomondo has the function to track live, so people can see where you are on the web site. If they are monitoring you, they can also send you messages. The idea being that if you are in a race they can give you encouragement... :?

But if you turn this function off it just updates/uploads when you finish.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Nickpm
    @Cat,

I know it updates online status, but I do seem to have to force it, to upload the route at the end, Although where I normally finish my ride is dodgy for 3g signal. and I ride with my wireless turned off to provide battery powe3r, So most likely its just how I use it and the £G signal being bad where I normally finish causing the difference :)
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    after using this on the cut gate ride on saturday, no signal means no map/no route while you are riding. it tracks the GPS and stores that then when you get signal it will merge the data to give you the normal route/track plan you expect.

Not very usefullif you want to use the map itself!
  • Nickpm
    I only use it for tracking the route, for mapping i use mm tracker , which is great if you already have access to the .qct files , eg from memory map.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I use Endomondo quite often if I'm trying out new routes. This will sound a bit spoddy, but it's excellent back-up to an OS map for current position.