Panniers Vs Rucksack

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
If I get rid of the car I'm gonna have to equip the commuter bike with panniers. For those of you that use them or have started using them (recently) how did you find the transition from rucksack to panniers? Also after some pro's and cons.

Cheers, Tony.

Comments

• I prefer a good backpack as I feel better balanced on my route to work (there is a large off road section, which isn't pannier friendly).
    But my biggest issue is where you are locking the bike. I wouldn't use panniers if I was locking it somewhere public. Couldn't be bothered with putting on and taking off the panniers every ride. The biggest pro with backpacks is the ability to walk away from your bike without worrying about additional baggage.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    ... Couldn't be bothered with putting on and taking off the panniers every ride....

Having (fairly) recently upgraded panniers, Id just like to say that good ones just clip on and off. No faffing with the ties. no trouble at all to take on and off.

(my previous bargain basement jobbies were a complete nightmare though, so do understand the point)
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Most maker of panniers have a quick release system. So takes seconds to remove. I would prefer to have the weight on the bike and just don't want the weight on my back also sweaty. Back pack is ok for a mile or two after that panniers every time.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I've tried my 12 mile each-way commute with a rucksack (and still use it if I haven't got much to take in) but much prefer a pannier. My ride home is a slight but long incline uphill, and I find it much harder with a full rucksack.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Backpack gives you a sweaty back, panniers add drag and alter weight distribution.When you fall off a back pack may protect your spine while panniers may protect the bike. Either way your stuff gets broken. Best bet is to reduce the amount you need carry to the absolute minimum and see if you can get away with alternate or fewer cargo days. Then figure out how to stash it in the smallest volume and cross-section.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got both and it's horses for courses really. Most of the time I use a rucksack; I'm going to get sweaty on my commute anyway so that doesn't bother me and I'm luck that I dress down at work so most days I'm just carrying underwear and a t-shirt as I leave jeans and trainers at work.

However, if I'm carrying a lot, and this happens more in the winter, then panniers are better, although two to balance there weight is better and I've nearly been caught by poor weight distribution before. They also catch the wind more so crosswinds can sometimes come as a surprise.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    With a rucksack I am fatidious about what I carry and how much it weighs. With panniers everything is welcome.
  • So any pannier recommendations? I'm looking at switching from my rucksack to panniers over the winter when my work clothes/shoes need more space to be carried.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Can't you leave your work clothes/shoes at work. Swap them out weekly.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    +1 for leaving shoes at work! I wouldn't like to be doing with carrying shoes even if I did use panniers.
  • asprilla
    So any pannier recommendations? I'm looking at switching from my rucksack to panniers over the winter when my work clothes/shoes need more space to be carried.

Ortlieb roll top panniers are expensive but worth it 100% waterproof and only a second to attach / detach.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Tonymufc
    The problem is this. I'll be hopefully be getting rid of the car within the next few months. Now if I do overtime which at the moment I'm doing a lot of, it means that most of the time I'll be away from my usual place of work. This will mean I'll have to transport a lot of kit. Boots, hardhat, full uniform, a large leather drivers folder, food, toiletries (the company I work for have excellent changing/shower facilities) and a towel. Now I would just throw most of that in the boot of the car, minus the toiletries of course. The majority of this stuff is kept in work as we all have our own lookers in the changing rooms and the clothes and towel are changed when needed and I can normally get this into my rucksack. It would also be useful if we need to go shopping.
  • msmancunia
    bunter wrote:
    +1 for leaving shoes at work! I wouldn't like to be doing with carrying shoes even if I did use panniers.

I'm ashamed to admit that at work I have 4 pairs of shoes, 1 pair of boots, two coats, hairdryer, brush, towel x 2, toiletries, make up, socks, cereal, and Tracker bars. Oh, and a decent locker.
  • Tonymufc
    msmancunia wrote:
    bunter wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit that at work I have 4 pairs of shoes, 1 pair of boots, two coats, hairdryer, brush, towel x 2, toiletries, make up, socks, cereal, and Tracker bars. Oh, and a decent locker.

You don't work for Viridor do you by any chance?
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I moved to panniers on Friday after 2 years of irregular communting using a rucksack. Reason for the move is I had a grade 5 shoulder seperation and can't carry a heavy rucksack presently.

I bought a Blackburn rack that mounts to a quick release skewer that you put through your back wheel and I have conencted it at the top to a seatpost collar. It means I can take it off in 5 minutes flat for my weekend riding.

I bought the Ortlieb rolltop panniers which seem to have a massive capacity. They release from the bike in 5 seconds and are easy to carry (I went for the cheaper onesw ithout a shoulder strap and will nick a strap off a holdall).

I am proper coverted after one ride. Felt much more comfortable and even with one full and one empty pannier I didn't really feel any weight issues. I'm just askign myself why I didn't do it sooner.
  • msmancunia
    Tonymufc wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    bunter wrote:

You don't work for Viridor do you by any chance?

No - I'm at the Beeb at MediaCity. Hence the rather nice cycle facilities :)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've ridden a backpack and panniers and the Ortlieb large saddle bag = best of both.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Panniers every time. Ortlieb roll-tops are great, totally waterproof,simple to pack and couldn't be easier to get on/off the rack
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I mix it up - sometimes like to use a rucksack and sometimes I pop my rack on and use panniers and/or a top box. Cant decide which I prefer really.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Ortlieb rolltops, as mentioned, are very good and you can carry absolutely loads. Just don't expect to go very fast - the weight distribution is just WRONG imho; I find cornering and out of the sadlle stuff a bit scary . . .
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Panniers > Rucksack definately.

IME (just mine ok) a rucksack is the worst way to carry stuff on the bike.

rucksack < Courier Bag < Panniers < Big Seat bag

Obviously, that is only for what I carry, the saddle bag I have wouldn't hold enough for the OPs needs. I tried a single pannier setup for a while but the rack I used sat quite far back from the rear axle for heel clearance and made the bike sway quite badly. If I start commuting full time again in the future I'm going to invest in a bike with proper rack mounts.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Vaude Aqua plus for me.

Like the Ortleibs that you see around, but have an outside pocket and that sealed the deal for me as I wanted my keys, work pass and other stuff to be accessible.

I don't get the comments about panniers and weight distribution. I rarely use both panniers at the same time and have never found using just one pannier to make any difference. Even when loaded with bottles of beers weighing several kilos it is nothing compared to my body weight. Also keeping the load low down near the road seems, to my mind, to make things more stable.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Saddle bag is my preference having tried rucksack and panniers in the past. My Carradice Super C fits shower stuff (inc towel) full change of clothes, shoes (although like others I now leave these at work), little tool kit pump etc and there's room in the side pockets for phone, wallet, keys etc.

Not the cheapest solution (wouldn't get much change out of £100 if buying the qr bagman support as well) but Carradice tends to last decades so good value in the long run.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    HamishD wrote:
    Ortlieb rolltops, as mentioned, are very good and you can carry absolutely loads. Just don't expect to go very fast - the weight distribution is just WRONG imho; I find cornering and out of the sadlle stuff a bit scary . . .

+1 to Ortliebs. Brilliant. I've had mine for years and they're still in excellent condition.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    davmaggs wrote:
    Vaude Aqua plus for me.

Like the Ortleibs that you see around, but have an outside pocket and that sealed the deal for me as I wanted my keys, work pass and other stuff to be accessible.

I don't get the comments about panniers and weight distribution. I rarely use both panniers at the same time and have never found using just one pannier to make any difference. Even when loaded with bottles of beers weighing several kilos it is nothing compared to my body weight. Also keeping the load low down near the road seems, to my mind, to make things more stable.

Can't speak for anyone else but I meant weight distribution of the bike-pannier system as a whole - far too much weight on the back for doing anything other than pootling in my experience. I agree 100% that for transporting loads of gear they can't be beaten - I can almost fit a weekly shop in mine. . . .
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I'm starting to get a little more annoyed with people with Panniers lately. 4 times in the last 2 weeks while waiting at lights I've been whacked in the leg by someone trying to get to the front of the queue lights with panniers on. Only for them to be slightly fustrating to overtake when the green light goes.

Seen once or twice some cars get a whack with pannier bags as some people seem to misjudge that they are now part of the "wide load" party line.

Saying that only a handful of people loads of panniers around... I'm happy with a backpack. I'm normally dripping wet with or without a backpack so makes no difference.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Carrying stuff in a rucksack on a bike is not good as 1) it buggers your back and shoulders 2) the CoG is so much higher than when using panniers where the weight is much lower down.

Cyclists who use rucksacks are generally students, cheap skates or NEDS or all three :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Ortlieb front roller for me. Mounted on the back of course. Use one normally, add the second for when I need to carry the laptop. Sorted.
  • asprilla
    HamishD wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:
    Vaude Aqua plus for me.

Can't speak for anyone else but I meant weight distribution of the bike-pannier system as a whole - far too much weight on the back for doing anything other than pootling in my experience.

It wasn't the front / rear distribution that I used to have issues with, but the left / right distribution. If I only took one pannier and loaded it with kit, laptop, etc then sometimes on the way home I'd get caught out at a junction or on a sweeping bend because the weight of the bike when leaning meant it didn't quite go in the direction I wanted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3