Newspaper in cycling shoes - an old wives tale?

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Have just returned from a relatively wet ride, so needless to say all my clothing went straight in the wash the minute I got through the door, which then left my beloved month old riding shoes. After giving them a wipe down I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you stuffed them with newspaper that'll soak up any risidule moisture, as well as leaving them in a well ventilated area.

Does anyone on BR do the same thing after a wet ride?

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Yep... it's the best way to get your shoes properly dry. If they are really soaked it's worth replacing the newspaper after a couple of hours.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yup - works for me. In the winter I end up doing it most nights (oooeeerrrrr).

Remember to change the paper after a couple of hours to maximise the benefit of the absortion de papier

Helps hold the shape of the shoes as well as they dry out.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Does help with leather, less so with modern synthetics like Lorica. Mine just get put in the cupboard with the heating boiler and hot water tank.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Brilliant, cheers guys, just what I wanted to hear.
  • Just remember to take them off before stuffing them with newspaper - it makes it so much easier.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    cycologist wrote:
    Just remember to take them off before stuffing them with newspaper - it makes it so much easier.

And, conversely, to take the paper out before putting them back on otherwse you could end with with a crazy panic attck thinking that you feet have gone from a size 10 to a 200. :evil:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I t works really quickly too, I used to ride to work in the pouring rain, stuff my shoes with a metro at the office and they'd be pretty much dry by home time. Overnight, bone dry every time.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Tried this last night with good and bad results.

Firstly shoes are lovely and dry this morning.

Annoyingly though I could barely read any of my paper yesterday, the bit near the top of the shoe was fine but I couldn't read the bit near the toes atall. :shock:

This needs a rethink :D
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I also use the old skool newspaper trick. However, it occurs to me that digestive biscuits absorb tea very well so maybe you could try crumbling a couple of these in for extra-fast drying....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pottssteve wrote:
    I also use the old skool newspaper trick. However, it occurs to me that digestive biscuits absorb tea very well so maybe you could try crumbling a couple of these in for extra-fast drying....

:D:D:D

Surely a Hob Nob would be better - Or some Oats so Simple.

Would else could we use that is super absorbing
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Juan Sheet.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Rich Tea work the best :!: :D
  • Juan Sheet.

Is it only me that's noticed this sounds remarkably like he's saying "one sh*t is plenty"?

:lol:
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    stimpy_76 wrote:
    Juan Sheet.

Is it only me that's noticed this sounds remarkably like he's saying "one sh*t is plenty"?

:lol:

I have a mate who's cycling shoes smell like the local land fill :shock:

Anything to tell us Dave????

You been doing the Juan Sheet trick, and if so did you break off half way through to split it between the shoes or is it Juan Sheet per shoe??????? :D:D:D
  • Lady towels (or those tuby ones for narrow toe area)?
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    I'm too cheap to buy fresh newspapers, so I flatten them out dry them and re use them.

One (broad) sheet does it all.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • cheapo cat litter works well too and can be dried and reused many many times. i used newspaper in the boots of my dry suit when it leaked and it became a very damp suit.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    cheapo cat litter works well too and can be dried and reused many many times.
    Clean or used cat litter?

Maybe that's why pauldavid has a mate who's cycling shoes smell like the local land fill
  • If they are really soaked I always rinse them under the tap and then stuff with newspaper and leave in a warm place. The rinse seems to minimise the stink once they are dry.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours cycling and multisport training holidays in the Alps, Pyrenees and beyond

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/LeDomTours and on Facebook http://is.gd/ipG1Ei
  • Surely there is quite a simple way to work out if newspaper is effective or not, you do have two shoes, right?

:D
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Surely there is quite a simple way to work out if newspaper is effective or not, you do have two shoes, right?
    You are far too logical for this forum. Immediately change your moniker to Spock.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    cheapo cat litter works well too and can be dried and reused many many times.

Best keep the shoes out of view of the cat, though - it might get the wrong idea about what constitutes a litter tray....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Pour the porridge oats into the wet shoes, the porridge soaks up the moisture and it leaves it fully moist for cooking. Cooking time is quicker and you get a softer texture and a better breakfast. No need for added salt as it is taken care of in the shoes.