bike help!!

mrham
mrham Posts: 11
edited October 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi i'm new to using forums so not sure if what i'm doing is right I need some advice and help i recently got back into mountain biking with a friend and i bought my self a gt avalanche 2 now i'm looking to upgrade i really love my bike and one bike shop has said stick with hardtail much more fun just upgrade ur forks and brakes etc another shop has said don't bother doing anything till lost weight and another has said why upgrade my forks when he can offer me a brand new 2007 mongoose canaan team for 800 quid i really love my bike and i do want to upgrade but do i get forks for my gt or do i buy a full sus??? and is that bike worth that price and will it suit me i'm 6'2 and 17 stone i like trail centres and peak district?? any help would be really appreiciated

Comments

• kja
    kja Posts: 259
    Best place for this sort of advice would be the MTB beginners section. I'd suggest upgrade the forks on your current bike. Hardtails are the way ahead for winter, less maintainence and less to go wrong!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I'd only bother with a full suss if you feel the HT is holding you back on rough terrain. There are swings and roundabouts for each though the Mongoose sus design is very pedal friendly (had a Teocali). Most people seem to suggest that full sus is getting to the point where it more than makes up for efficiency loses compared with a HT and it's the way forward. I certainly prefer FS.
    I'd recommend making a few upgrades until you feel the hardtail can't cope with how fast you want to go over technical terrain, and the Canaan should be great (by the way, bike tech has come a long way in four years! It might be a 'new' bike, but the parts you upgrade to will probably be a lot better).
  • mrham
    I'd only bother with a full suss if you feel the HT is holding you back on rough terrain. There are swings and roundabouts for each though the Mongoose sus design is very pedal friendly (had a Teocali). Most people seem to suggest that full sus is getting to the point where it more than makes up for efficiency loses compared with a HT and it's the way forward. I certainly prefer FS.
    I'd recommend making a few upgrades until you feel the hardtail can't cope with how fast you want to go over technical terrain, and the Canaan should be great (by the way, bike tech has come a long way in four years! It might be a 'new' bike, but the parts you upgrade to will probably be a lot better).

see thats my problem next upgrades are forks brakes and drivetrain all expensive and i wonder if spending 800 on a ready built although 4 year old FS outweighs spending at least that on just the forks and brakes as the forks and brakes at the moment are just a little not good enough
    this is the bike he's offering http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... team-16472 and in the first bit it says the bike is a lean machine designed for lean long distance riders i'm 17 stone not exactly lean will that also prove a problem i have a 1000 budget u see is there anything else??
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    As a gentle introduction to FS, it's great - brilliant spec (defiantly the Team you're getting?) and you won't notice the sus taking the power out of your stroke as other FS designs. I however would hate it. The head angle is steep (you could knock it back with a new angled headset) and I know from experience the suspension is not the best for absorbing technical trails. Others on here (Supersonic for instance) love their freedrive (the name of the suspension design) bikes. You could sell your current bike to reduce your outgoings even further don't forget. Try it, if you like it, you won't get more kit for the money.
  • mrham
    As a gentle introduction to FS, it's great - brilliant spec (defiantly the Team you're getting?) and you won't notice the sus taking the power out of your stroke as other FS designs. I however would hate it. The head angle is steep (you could knock it back with a new angled headset) and I know from experience the suspension is not the best for absorbing technical trails. Others on here (Supersonic for instance) love their freedrive (the name of the suspension design) bikes. You could sell your current bike to reduce your outgoings even further don't forget. Try it, if you like it, you won't get more kit for the money.

yes its defo the team one thankyou for the advice i have been worried about the forks design for more technical trails i might see if i can try before i buy and the head angle shouldn't b a problem i currently run a set of super wide heavy angled downhill bars as its comfy for my body shape and i can reduce the head angle with the angle of those thankyou again for the advice
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    Gonna go ahead and be that guy.

Paragraphs and fullstops are normally good.

Sorry but that was a nightmare to read.