GT85

Stu Coops
Stu Coops Posts: 426
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hi Guys,
Can I spray this on my forks to coat, lube and protect them or will it act as as degreaser and break down the fluid in the forks which are Fox 32 series so obviously not cheap hence why I'm asking the question.

Thanks
Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB

Comments

• It is a degreaser. Don't spray it on anywhere where grease is vital, unless you want to clean it and apply new grease.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Use THIS instead.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Thanks for the advice guys
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Use what is in the fork. If you can find what it is.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    supersonic wrote:
    Use what is in the fork. If you can find what it is.

FLOAT Fluid and suspension oil then
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    It is a degreaser.

I've always sprayed a bit in areas to displace water after washing the bike, e.g. up inside the steerer tube, top of seat tube and seat clamp. Generally bits you can't dry off and it seems to stop oxidation/rusting of parts. But always made sure it's well away from brake discs/pads. However I did just look up the tech specs of it www.gt85.co.uk and it does seem to have some solvents in it, which I didn't realise. That means it can disolve grease, I may now think twice about using it!!

I use Fork Juice on the forks too....
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    The solvents are there to keep the lubricant sprayable. They evaporate on application. I give my stanchions a squirt of GT85 regularly, and it has never affected the grease under the seals (which I often inspect).
    "Coming through..."
  • TuckerUK wrote:
    The solvents are there to keep the lubricant sprayable. They evaporate on application. I give my stanchions a squirt of GT85 regularly, and it has never affected the grease under the seals (which I often inspect).

Spraying a degreaser on grease will end up wiping the grease away eventually. I wonder why when you spray GT85 on a rear derailleur it ends up being clean? Because it takes all the grease away. Do not use on your forks, because if it does get under the seals, then you will not be happy.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    *AL* wrote:
    Use THIS instead.

Or use Halfords silicone spray which is the same as Fork Juice although it may have a slightly lower silicone content percentage.

Don't use GT85 on your forks but regardless of what you're spraying on them make sure your discs are well covered up with a clean cloth or plastic bag.
  • supersonic
    Some manufacturers specifically say not to use stuff like GT85 and sprays as the solvents can damage seals.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's a lube, but it sure does degrease also. When servicing I've used it to thoroughly degrease disassembled components before cleaning and re-greasing.

I'll use it on rear mech if it's not been cleaned since the last ride to clear off the dirt and leave a layer of lube on it. Used it on pivots with care when they've been creaking like mad. Bearings in the pivots on the old bike were sealed and out of the way, but still probably wasn't advisable and not going to do it on the new bike.

I light quick surface spray from a distance in some areas is okay to apply a coating, but just take care. If you use it on your chain, wipe clean and oil it after.
  • Neal_
    I wouldn't let GT85 (even though it smells lovely) or WD40 near any of the seals on my bike having seen how quickly it deformed the hub seals when I was using it as a degreaser during a service. Nasty stuff on plastic and rubber.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    Doh
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    does any one know what fork juice is made of ? is it glorified silicone ?
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    bamba wrote:
    does any one know what fork juice is made of ? is it glorified silicone ?

Neal_ wrote:
    *AL* wrote:
    Use THIS instead.

Or use Halfords silicone spray which is the same as Fork Juice although it may have a slightly lower silicone content percentage.
  • supersonic
    And in the past some manufacturers have said not to use silicone ;-)

Hydraulic fork fluid really is the best to use.
  • Neal_
    Why did they say not to use silicone spray?

I'll have to try suspension fluid and see how it compares.
  • supersonic
    Could damage seals, silicone get through into the damping fluid. However it does seem that it works well for most, and rubber seals generally should not be damaged by this type of silicone.

However when fork oil is so cheap, for so much...
  • Neal_
    As you say, I'm pretty sure silicone won't damage the seals but I guess it could contaminate the suspension fluid. I need to get some suspension fluid to service the forks soon so I'll mix it with the silicone lube to see what effect it has.
  • The epicon owner manual specifically recommends ptfe lubricant on the seals. I use gt85 on the tubes, and let the solvent evaporate.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Is it wrong to love the smell of GT-85? Might start using it as aftershave.
  • I love the smell of GT85.Can`t beat it. :)
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The epicon owner manual specifically recommends ptfe lubricant on the seals. I use gt85 on the tubes, and let the solvent evaporate.

Not really a very good PTFE lube though- it's almost all solvent and oil, the PTFE is mostly so they can say ZOMG CONTAINS TEFLON on the can. Chain lube would probably be better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I always give the seals on my forks a quick squirt of Finish Line wet lube then press down on the bike a few times to get it smeared around the fork and seals then wipe off any excess.

Its never hurt any of the forks ive had.
  • I use GT85 on my mechs after a wash; as for forks it has to be the "juice" although most goes up my nose.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Has anyone used that Brunox Deo stuff? It's getting great reviews but still sounds like catholic hair dye
    Uncompromising extremist