Pay Attention Chaps!

2»

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Thanks to everyone for the posts, and best wishes to those also recovering (there appears to be quite a few around at the mo).

The bad news is that I have told I need surgery (to insert a supporting plate) and that I should be planning on up to 3 months out before a return to cycling outdoors. Still, on the bright side I guess is that I won't need to dig out my winter wheels. Ho hum.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You'll be on the turbo after a month or so...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    You'll be on the turbo after a month or so...
    Bad luck Bobbinogs, as NapD says it won't be long before you can get on the turbo. Leaning forward's a bit painful at first, but you can always ride one handed.

No idea how old you are (younger = quicker healing), but I suffered a Grade V AC Joint tear* last year and at 48 it took a bit longer to heal than I'd hoped, but I was on the turbo 6 weeks after the op to reconstruct my shoulder.

Good luck, and don't lose heart!

* 10 mph slide on wet leaves into a low wall - I stopped, collarbone didn't, tore out the AC joint completely and punched the end of the collarbone through my deltoid. Left me with some interesting scars, a strange-shaped shoulder and the ability to predict changes in the weather :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • I am on week 9 after breaking my collar bone on a wet descent. I am still really annoyed at myself and can't see how I can avoid it happening again other than never going out in the rain.
    As for recovery, I was on the turbo after 10 days, riding sat up, slowly working up to stretching my arm forward. Back on the road after 4 weeks and did a wet 100k hilly sportive after 6. However I was downhilling like an old lady (no offence to proficient elder female road cyclists). I've never been so scared in all my life. I hope I'll forget about the fear soon and carry on behaving like I'm a much younger man with nothing to lose.
  • Had a stack whilst out a few years ago on my (sorry) MTB. Down a track at pace, tree fallen across it, thought to myself, "I'll clear that", went to bunny hop it, got the front wheel over but the back wheel...? no !! Bike bucked me off forward over the handlebars and into the next tree that was just to the right of the track.

Outcome = broken collar bone, 2 pins, one of which didn't set properly and ended up pulling itself loose, day surgery to remove the offending pin and a 6" scar over my right shoulder.

Not gone over on the road bike yet (looks around desperately looking for some wood to touch) unless you count the dickhead that pulled out on me at a roundabout and knocked me off but that doesn't count as it wasn't my fault !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for the posts, and best wishes to those also recovering (there appears to be quite a few around at the mo).

The bad news is that I have told I need surgery (to insert a supporting plate) and that I should be planning on up to 3 months out before a return to cycling outdoors. Still, on the bright side I guess is that I won't need to dig out my winter wheels. Ho hum.

Get well soon, sorry to hear about another accident on the forum.

Got my physio date for the end of this month, to help recovery from my broken right wrist and left forearm bone after my spill a week and a half ago (lucky I was wearing a helmet as i landed on the noddle). Woke myself up screaming in pain last night after rotating my right hand in my sleep twice lol
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • Bobbinogs
    Thanks Peter (and blacktemplar/bluesparx et al), hope you're back out soon. I don't know about you but it is a bit hard looking around for examples and guidance because it would appear that every injury is slightly different. I managed to get on the turbo earlier ( :) ) after getting the green light until my op next week and then I just need to give it a few days before I can then start training again. Proper cycling outside will be 6-8 weeks after op but the plate will stay in for at least a year.

I must admit that the ones who probably suffer the most are our partners and families who put up with our mood swings whilst helping cook and clean after us. Luckily (or rather not) my wife went through all this when her late father had the same injury from cycling when she was younger, apparently I am just as grumpy as he was :)
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Anyone else done something dumb like that, as in, looking back you would kick yourself, if it didn't hurt too much!

Nope never. Just the usual spud fall in front of a busy hairdressers, mates, bleeding lots. Oh vomiting this morning! Cycling? Love it! :D
  • Get well soon, really is a bummer having crashes!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    When you are well again you can repay the family in spades, by keeping out of their way. Best way to do this is go for a ride.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bobbinogs
    edited December 2011
    So, I thought I would close this one off with a positive note. When looking around on t'internet I didn't find that many good examples of recovery following clavicle problems, which surprised me as apparently it is the most common bone to be broken. So, anyone looking for broken collarbone (collar bone) recovery time or ORIF (Open Reduction Internal [plate] Fixation) may find this useful. Anyone else will be bored after the first two lines.

To recap, I was fannying about on my bike, not paying attention whilst having probably the ideal components for loosing the front wheel (new tyres, wet road, brand new super smooth tarmac and leaning back). So, front wheel went so fast that I didn't have time to breath before landing on my shoulder, which had a large lump poking out the back.

One thing that has surprised me is the variance in all injuries, factors such as simple/multiple fracture, age, location of fracture, etc., so there really is no one size fits all when it comes to references. My break was a good clean break but right near the end of the clavicle and the two ends were about an inch or so apart so no chance of natural reunion. Hence, ORIF was recommended by the fantastic surgeon I was lucky to have (company pay for private care and the difference was amazing: The local hospital consultant looked at my xrays for a max of 10 secs and spent all of 2 minutes talking to me...the private chap spent about 30 minutes talking to me over a lovely cup of coffee leaving me feeling assured that all was in hand and that we both agreed the options, risks, etc.).

So, 1 week after the fall I had the op which meant a collar&cuff had to be worn. 2 weeks later I was back in seeing the doc (who advised the collar&cuff could come off) only to be given the bad news that the plate would have to come out in a follow up op near Xmas (originally we were hoping the plate could stay in for at least a year and possibly for a lifetime, the choice being mine for removal). The reasons were, I believe, the location of the fracture and the very thin skin (with little fat) I have on my shoulder. 6 weeks later (last week, 8 weeks after the op) I was given the "all clear" in that my bone had healed nicely so normal activities could begin (I spent the 8 weeks after op only able to lift a cup of tea, nothing heavier under orders). However, my shoulder is apparently "frozen" despite diligently doing ROM exercises 3 times a day. There is also a lot of wastage. Hence, when the plate comes out (end of December) I also need a Manipulation Under Anaesthetic and physio. However, I have been told that I only need to be off the bike for about 5 days post op and to ride it as much as I like until then.

Sleeping: blinking dreadful. I don't think I got a good night's sleep for 6 weeks and still cannot lie on the one side. I didn't do loads of painkillers, just a week of paracetomal and then 4 weeks of ibuprofen (5 days on/2 days off) to help with the inflammation. I couldn't drive for 4 weeks post-op as the arm was either too painful or too weak to reach/hold the steering wheel.

Exercising: I was given the all clear to use the turbo whilst waiting for the initial op and then 5 days after the op itself. I had to flip the stem and move it to the top of the stack as leaning was very painful. I also had to wear a homemade sling on the turbo to support my bad arm for 6 weeks as I simply couldn't reach the handlebars (I made this one of my ROM exercises and the progress was encouraging).

I have managed to maintain fitness by doing about 5 sessions a week (mixture of basic intervals, sufferfests and recovery spins) and I went out on my hybrid (with big fat nobblies and flat pedals) after getting the all clear 9 weeks after the original fall. Lucky enough to have been out a few times now, slowly building up mileage and managed to do 40 today, albeit that the avg speed of 16.5 for an undulating route won't set any records. SPDs will be back on for the club run on Tuesday but I may stick to the hybrid until mid Jan as it feels a lot more stable.

So, sorry for the long post, I hope it may be useful for anyone unfortunate enough to be in the same position. Point is, with good treatment and playing your part then there is every chance of full recovery and I count my blessings that I have not been involved in some of the really bad accidents that some folks have had.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I agree, Patience and good treatment sets you right.

I injured myself in july and i wasn't even allowed to sit on a bike until a month ago. It's all gravy now, but it takes time.

Glad to hear you've mended, and you're ready to rock out on the bike again.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Sorry just seen this GWS Bobbinogs.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Plenty of black ice around this morning away from the main roads as we discovered to our cost. 5 out of the 7 of us hit the deck on one stretch - fortunately no major injuries or bike damage, just a bit of road rash and some holes in my Assos biblongs :evil: Should have stuck to main roads.

Don't you just love winter cycling?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ^ Get a CX bike or MTB and stay off-road when it's been damp and there's been an overnight frost. I've just ridden up and down the street to check out the gears on a new build and could feel my rear wheel going.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I went out on my hybrid (with big fat nobblies and flat pedals) after getting the all clear 9 weeks after the original fall. Lucky enough to have been out a few times now, slowly building up mileage and managed to do 40 today, albeit that the avg speed of 16.5 for an undulating route won't set any records.

Sounds not half bad to me. Are you Clark Kent in your day job? :) Gald to hear things are moving in the right direction.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Good recovery Bobbinogs.

I damaged my AC joint MTBing, and whilst no surgery, it can be very painful if I sleep on it badly. You have my sympathies.