Best choice of budget shifter?

Scoodle
Scoodle Posts: 11
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.

I just bought my son a 2nd-hand 24"-wheel Raleigh BadMax (I know, I know...) alloy-framed, front suspension bike which is in very good cosmetic order but which needs a few parts to finish it off.

One of these items is new shifters. It's an 18-speed, so 3+6 required.

I was going to make the simple and obvious choice of Shimano Revoshift (that's what's already on there). Whilst searching for these, however, I also came across similar systems by 'Micro-Shift' and my other child's Raleigh has 'GripShift Max' fitted.

1st Q is, which is the best of that lot?! They are all roughly similarly priced.

Q 2 is, I've also come across a set of Shimano Rapid-Fire shifters with brake levers ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-RAPID ... 4aae661b21 ) which, at £21 delivered is no more expensive than the twist-grips above as I also need new brake levers for the bike|!

I have GS200 thumb shifters on my own old Raleigh which I think are superb, so I'm drawn towards the the latter choice - unless someone warns me against them for good reason! Although my son's bike is a 'mountain bike' style, it is almost exclusively used on roads and other metalled surfaces with occasional gravel tracks, but certainly not for any 'proper' off-roading.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments