newbie checklist for buying 2nd hand bikes

peco
peco Posts: 12
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
i have a budget of £150 for a hybrid bike for commuting

i know £150 isnt going to get me much 1st hand but i have been finding some bargains on gumtree but im not sure what exactly i should be looking at when i go to test out these bikes in person

Could anyone give me a rough list of things to ask and check when viewing these bikes, it would be a huge help

Comments

• Check that the wheels are true
    Check the brakes work and check the wheel rims and brake pads for wear
    Check for wear in the drive train by measuring the chain, 10 links should measure between 10 and 10 1/16th inches, if it's more you may need to factor in a new chain and cassette.
    Check for play in the wheel bearings by holding the rim and trying to move it left to right.
    Check for play in the pedals axles and bottom bracket
    Check for play in the headset by applying front brake and rocking the bike backwards and forwards
    Check frame for scratches, dents and cracks
    Check all the gears work and index correctly and the shifters work smoothly and don't jam or bind
    Check the seatpost isn't jammed
    Check the frame is symmetrical ie not twisted from a crash.

If you see any cracks in the frame, big dents or damage to the forks, walk away. Play in bearings can normally be adjusted out, but if loads of the bearings have play and the drive train is worn then the bike has probably done a lot of miles and might need a lot of work.

Try and find a friend or colleague who rides a lot and does their own maintenance to have a look with you.

Happy hunting, grabbing a bargain is fun!
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • peco
    peco Posts: 12
    thankyou carlos this was a great help

I have found someone will to sell their Kona Dr Dew for £175, its a few years old and has the usual wear and tear, hopefully this checklist will make it easier when deciding to buy it or not
  • Without wanting to over analyse too much but when I was looking for a 2nd hand bike I'd try and understand whether the seller would look after a bike.

One clue was the state of anything that could be adjusted - if it could be adjusted had they used a monkey wrench or the wrong sized spanner to do it? eg nuts rounded off and rusting or my pet hate .. the ends of cables in a frayed, spikey mess.

Is the bike stored inside, in a shed or lobbed in the front porch with all of the kids bikes?

Is the bike clean .. sure not all bikes are clean all of the time but if the seller can't be bothered to clean before you turn up then what does that tell you about their attitude to the bike?

Admittidly I wanted a nearly new one and therefore it was easier .. I just walked away from anything that was not nearly perfect .. but the way I look at it is if your seller is a vice grip plyer (http://www.toolbuddy.co.uk/irwin-pro-vise-grip-locking-pliers-a10cr-1663-p.asp) wielding guerilla then god knows what damage they may have done to the bike.

Not saying I wouldn't buy the bike but try and take it into account the risk your taking - if they don't appear to give a flying monkeys about the bike then they probably haven't looked after it so you may have to pay out later for the replacement of bits that the've trashed.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile