Wind proof
Water resistant
Warm enough for -15C
Breatheable
Quick drying
Suitable to wear through the work day
Up to £50

Ideas please?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have hear that Alpkit jeanius jeans are pretty good. I think Levis are bringing some in as well, which might be easier to get hold of.

Have you considered taking trousers in and changing in the toilets at work?

If trousers are comfortable at -15°C then they might be a bit hot in the office.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    It's more of a warehouse than an office, it stays cold. Last winter I used some jeans but it destroyed the crotch. I can change at work but have avoided it since last winter wore off. I keep a spare set of clothes at work but I am convinced there's a way of doing it without needing to change. TBH -10C is more realistic and the commute is <8miles.

I tried the local Levis store, drew a blank. I tried some of the Arc leg jeans in Topshop, the crotch looked cycle-proof but the ones that fitted my waist wouldn't take my thighs and the next size up felt too loose on the waist and still didn't let my legs move enough. Was hoping that someone else on here had found the holy grail.

Alpkit Jeans look ideal, sadly I need a 32 or 34 waist.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    cycling specific swerve jeans and trousers. Unfortunately more than you want to pay but great comfortable fit, no crotch seam and a year of use out of them with very little sign of wear.
  • Jeans weigh a ton when they get wet & dry slowly. Lycra bib longs or full length leg warmers under trousers should be enough.

I used crag hopper hiking trousers over bib longs for the last 2 winters, warm enough to below -10 well wicking, fast drying, decent cut so not flappy & plenty of pockets for day to day stuff
  • What about something from the Bear Grylls range, never tried them myself but should be u to the job, maybe a bit over budget though.
  • craghopperrs kiwi lined trousers. its what i wore on the coldest days. they look like combats so ideal for warehouse and they dry quickly too.

go-outdoors have them on offer a lot of the time
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Ron Hills
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    stevo599 wrote:
    What about something from the Bear Grylls range, never tried them myself but should be u to the job, maybe a bit over budget though.

wont they smell of wee?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,121
    Some of the Altura trousers are handy for all day use and are good enough for winter MTB'ing: there's some good deals on Altura kit going on here:
    http://www.juliescycles.co.uk/index.asp
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Back in the early days of commuting I decided it would be a good idea to buy some waterproof trousers - er no! that's a very silly idea, first of all they're not waterproof for long and once wet they become heavy v heavy but worst of all they're hot so you end up soaked from the sweat.

Now I find good winter bib shorts and lag warmers work fine down to minus 10-15 after that it's 3/4 MTB trousers with full bib underneath.

I still can't believe that not once or twice but three times i've actually been commuting in those temps. here in the UK :shock:

Did i mention the fact that i hate the cold? :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.