Marathon Winters

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Well the 35mm Marathon Winters definitely do fit on a Genesis Day One, because I just fitted them. Quite easy to fit, I was worried due to all the weak-thumbed folk on here who complain about fitting regular Marathons, but they went on easy.

They are much heavier than the Continental "Speed Kings" (be warned!) that I had on the Day One since new, but they are much smoother rolling. Different noise than the speed kings, not much noisier, but slightly higher pitch.

Need to do a non-icy commute on them without much braking or laying down any awesome in order to bed in the spikes now. Will let you know what they're like in the ice and snow when some turns up. If none turns up, excellent!

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I admire your commitment to winter! Mine won't be going on until the forecast says frost.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I admire your commitment to winter! Mine won't be going on until the forecast says frost.

+1. I had mine on for two separate week or so long periods last winter. They are only on when there is a chance of ice. And, as it happened, there wasn't any ice last year so it was all a bit uneccessary anyway! :lol:

Still, better safe than sorry. For now I'm still commuting on carbon with 23mm Durano S :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • That's the great thing about having a bike especially for snow, I can prepare it in advance and still ride another bike until it's needed. :D You can never really have enough bikes.
  • not wanting to hijack the thread...but its a tyre recommendation question, so rather than starting a new thread:

i need a new rear tyre (its pretty worn down!) so looking for a 700x28 tyre for some commuting. (if the weather turns awful i would have a day off...)

i heard its bascially between the gatorskin and armadillo?
  • richVSrich wrote:
    i heard its bascially between the gatorskin and armadillo?

...or Marathon Plus or Durano Plus, both manufactured by Schwalbe. If you don't like punctures these are definitely worth considering even though they are heavier than regular tyres.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My experience is that Gators work well.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Go for Conti GP 4 Seasons (they do a 25mm not sure about 28mm) over gators for the winter. Softer compound rubber, better tread pattern for the wet and more anti puncture layers than the gatorskins. They are awesome, and that's coming from Gatorskins that i swear by, picking the glass and flint out of the tyre every friday and still no punctures. Conti's for the win.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    UE, was over your way at weekend, must say East Lothian is pretty flat, and some of the roads looked lovely to cycle. Went out past North Berwick, on to Dunbat (night there). Visited museum of flight yesterday, very well worth going to.

No bike with me though...... :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • UE, was over your way at weekend, must say East Lothian is pretty flat, and some of the roads looked lovely to cycle. Went out past North Berwick, on to Dunbat (night there). Visited museum of flight yesterday, very well worth going to.

No bike with me though...... :shock:

Great place is East Lothian. Generally flat and rural, unless you go too far south, but only a lunatic would attempt to climb some of those roads on a bike....

Museum of flight is a good day out too.
  • Great place is East Lothian

Agreed, been up there 3 times already this year. Mainly golfing but a bit of cycling too. Edinburgh to Berwick-upon-Tweed is a good day out, but the hills around Eyemouth rather caught me out.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem