Virgin Media TiVo

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2011 in The hub
Anyone got VM TiVo?

They're doing a free upgrade atm, and I fancy the M+ package as its only an extra tenner.

Checked all the channels and there is nothing on the L package that I'd want over the M+.

Worthy upgrade over freeview?

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    I got one fitted on about a week ago ( currently on a VIP 50), worthy of an upgrade over freeview then id say yes however ive been with virgin for about 15yrs so never had freeview. Worthy of an upgrade over a V+ box then at this moment in time i would say not really. Basically im not impressed with the EPG as mine doesn't work and has loads of blank programs so recording is a real pain.
    If you can get it for free then go for it mate as you dont have anything to lose really, if you dont like it then complain and drop back to the V+ box.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • Hmm I'll have a look at the v+

Is the TiVo just that it records? I'm not sure if they still just do the v+?
  • oops. yeah you can just get the v+ HD.

Might phone them in the AM to see :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The Tivo has a 1Tb HDD whereas the V+ is smaller, 500Gb? Beware of an activation fee. I could have got a V+ box for an extra £5/month but they wanted £50 for activation.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Yup its £50 for installation... they come round and connect the wires etc etc.

If you upgrade, does it re-set your contract length? I don't want another 18month contract just in case I move out in 5 months!
  • teulk
    The V+ has a 80gb hdd or enough space for 80hrs of non HD recordings, the Tivo come with either a 1Tb or 500gb Hdd

http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/ ... -plus.html

This is the deal i think you are referring to - free installation and activation for a Tivo 500gb hdd.

It does however apply to new customers who buy online however it may be worth ringing up and see if you can do it over the phone if thats how you would prefer to order.

The Tivo has a bigger Hdd, learns your viewing preferences and records programs it thinks you may like. You can set recordings from your mobile phone ( has to be more than 30mins at least in advance). Personally i got it for the bigger hdd
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just got a Tivo from VM and will be paying less than I am now :D Gave them a sob story about my Freeview PVR being dead and how much I rely on it and not being able to afford a replacement but would take a Tivo if the deal was right. Some umming and ahhing from the girl in disconections and the install fee was waived and the monthly cost has dropped from £33.90 to £32.90 with a Tivo but only 10mb BB on a 12mth contract.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Tivo fimware still a bit messy from what I hear. Still no red button support either. They will be in serious trouble with customers if they don't get it working in time for the Olympics.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • teulk
    They are currently rolling out an update that address a few issues. I believe the "red button" option will be fixed.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    15.2 is piloting now. Still no red button.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.