Side lights that fit onto/into handlebars

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
After nearly being knocked off yesterday (evidently F*ckwit Friday) by three separate drivers who didn't see me alongside them and pulled straight out without signalling or checking their mirrors, I was wondering about getting some red LED sidelights of some kind to increase visibility when I'm alongside a driver's window. OK, I know they're not a substitute for good defensive cycling but I thought it might just increase the chances of my being seen.

Any recommendations? The Trek Beacon (MTB/ATB version) seems to be one option as it takes AA batteries rather than large amounts of watch batteries.

Alternatively, I was very taken with the Skully light that my girlfriend just bought - thought a pair of these with red LEDs would be an inexpensive, lightweight solution if I could find an effective way of fixing them on. They would also be a reversible modification.

Any suggestions gratefully received
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Head mounted light perhaps? Then you could peer in through the car windows and illuminate the car to let them know you are around? Exposure do some nice lights.
  • I've pre-ordered some of the new Tacx Lumos which are due out on the 20th of this month. Cost me £20 from LBS but I think their supplier is Fisher Outdoors or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwRVN1KOYo

Edit: Just realised that it's a flatbar - still, may in some way be useful!
  • tiny_pens wrote:
    Head mounted light perhaps? Then you could peer in through the car windows and illuminate the car to let them know you are around?

My thinking exactly.

I guess a really loud airhorn might be useful too :twisted:
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    LED armbands, aldi had some last week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Mount ... 20bcba5017
    FCN 3/5/9
  • All very good suggestions...

...however...

...how awesome are these?

41cTnRJIPvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The awkward bit would be attaching them to the handlebar ends - would it be completely insane to fit a stubby set of bar ends to lash them to? Total expenditure for 2 lights and stubby bar ends would be around 20 quid.
  • I use a cateye strobe on the left side of my helmet set to flash. Also, I use a simple small light on the handlebars pointed at me/jacket, which illuminates my high vis jacket. Illuminating the RIDER rather than the bike is my focus.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Try some of these, just bought some for my helmet, they can swivel through 360 degrees.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moon-Recharge-F ... 043XIUDO/2
  • noisepolluter
    noisepolluter Posts: 64
    edited October 2011
    Just taken a punt on a set of Knog Frog strobes. Front one for the helmet, rear one possibly also for the helmet or alternatively somewhere on the bike.

If I really REALLY like them when they arrive, I might order another set and have twin front lights on the helmet, one on either side.

However, the moon usb light Joelsim recommended does also look very tempting as more of a beam/spot light, also a backup for the main one. Does it fit on the helmet securely with that strap i.e. is it long enough to go right round the struts?

Incidentally, is it OK to have a red light attached quite far forward on the bike (e.g. back of the forks/on the handlebar) so long as it's pointing rearwards?

Have also just fixed a skully with red LEDs to the back of the helmet.

All I need now is some tinsel and a fairy on top of my head.
  • joelsim
    I had to stretch it quite a lot to get it on, but several rides later and it still seems to be affixed very firmly.

They aren't beam lights though, they are only the size of a matchbox.
  • I had to stretch it quite a lot to get it on, but several rides later and it still seems to be affixed very firmly.

:D

I suppose I'll see what the frogs are like when they get here. The moon does look like it can annoy at a greater distance however.

Always good to have plenty of backups etc I suppose - the route is reasonably well lit, I just want to maximise visibility.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tyreflys. Made for MTB and car valves - but glue them onto your valve cap. Fantastic for side visibility and you can take them on and off easily.

Plenty of places online sell them - http://www.digitechshop.co.uk/tireflys- ... -8314.html
  • joelsim
    To be honest the strobe setting on the Moon would deter all but the most hardened clubber!
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    cateye orbit spoke lights are good for side vis (in fact from almost any angle except directly in front or behind) and look pretty cool if you put 2 on wheel and go fast. However they might not get you noticed from directly alongside unless you pull a wheelie or some other kind of stunt.

I saw someone with the led armbands today and was distinctly unimpressed, they were next to useless. Shorly after saw someone with one of those proviz triangles on their back. Equally underwhelming.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Poundland led cycle lights. Bet you cannot guess how much they cost.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • joelsim
    essjaydee wrote:

Excellent.

If it wasn't for the almost inevitable crash as you wouldn't be able to see through your facemask disguise.
  • jomoj wrote:
    cateye orbit spoke lights are good for side vis (in fact from almost any angle except directly in front or behind) and look pretty cool if you put 2 on wheel and go fast. However they might not get you noticed from directly alongside unless you pull a wheelie or some other kind of stunt.

I saw someone with the led armbands today and was distinctly unimpressed, they were next to useless. Shorly after saw someone with one of those proviz triangles on their back. Equally underwhelming.

I've been curious about the orbits - not seen any in use though. I'll enquire in the local shop about them when I go in to get some mudguards. I do have reflective tyrewalls though. It's more really eye-level passing visibility I'm after to announce *exactly* where my handlebars etc are.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I saw some of these at the Bike Show a few weeks back. Can't for the life of me think who made them though! :(
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."