Helmet for around £50?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of a Giro Monza but would welcome any other suggestions.

I'm currently using a £20 Decathlon number that doesnt seem to vent that well and leaves me pretty sweaty!

Comments

• Very happy with my Bell Alchera.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • rodgers73
    Yes, looks nice. Awful logo though - maybe not for me :?
  • jonni3
    jonni3 Posts: 57
    Evans are doing the Specialized Propero for £49.99.

all depends on what do/don't like really ......
  • rodgers73
    Sadly only in small though :(
  • jonni3
    jonni3 Posts: 57
    Ah, didn't see that part :oops:

What about the Specialized Echelon @ £49.99, I use one & find it light, comfy & well ventilated.
  • rodgers73
    I'm looking at the Spesh site now and it seems like an impressive lid!
  • I'm in exactly the same situation as OP, and have tried loads of helmets on, both well out of my budget and cheap as chips, and the echelon seems to be the most comfortable one I can find. It's now on xmas lid as I am on a buying ban at the moment:(
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    jonni3 wrote:
    Ah, didn't see that part :oops:

What about the Specialized Echelon @ £49.99, I use one & find it light, comfy & well ventilated.

+1 very comfy
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    i never get hung up on helmets their hardly heavy go for a comfy one with a replacement policy, no matter what the brand.ive found after about 17 years of mountainbiking there really isnt much difference in a £50 and a £100 one and if its going to get damaged i would go for the cheaper one
  • rodgers73
    I'm starting to think a winter (ie badly vented) helmet and a summer (ie nicely vented) would be a good combo.

I'm going to stick with the cheapo Decathlon through winter and get an Echelon for Xmas ready for when the weather turns.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I'm starting to think a winter (ie badly vented) helmet and a summer (ie nicely vented) would be a good combo.

I'm going to stick with the cheapo Decathlon through winter and get an Echelon for Xmas ready for when the weather turns.

The Giro Ionos comes with a small skullcap. Dunno if you can find it at anywhere near £50 but it's brilliantly ventilated.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Get the one that fits your head. A bit like shoes or saddles - you've got to try them.
    More problems but still living....
  • A decent adjuster on the rear allows you to wear a wooly hat/headband under the helmet during winter months.

Just bought a £50 spesh (can't remember the name tho) for my gf and seems very light and comfy. Having said that my £35 spesh from 4 years ago is still doing well and is light and comfy too!
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Helmet 'brands' tend to fit different shape heads. I'm a Bell/Giro head - Spesh and Met feel the complete wrong shape.

You'll need to try some out - at least the brands.

+1 for Bell Alchera here though - if it fits.