LEd torch vs led dynamo - which is brighter ?

beegee
beegee Posts: 160
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
It'd that time again, so another question about lights. Sorry. I have a deal extreme P7 '900' lumens torch but I am thinking about getting a dynamo set up - in particular a shimano 3N80 hub and a B & M IQ Cyo led light. But if the dynamo set up is not as bright then I am not interested. My question is : has anyone compared one of those led torches with an led dynamo set up ? Which was brighter ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I would say that my Edelux is on a par with my Hope Vision 1 in terms of brightness, but the beam shape is vastly better.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Your torches will be brighter, but the dynamo light will have a better beam shape. You will get a larger more uniform spread on the road rather than the very bright spot you get from a torch. Also you get the convenience of never needing to change/charge batteries. I use a schmidt SON paired with an Edelux which are about the best you can get. It's good, but the phillips led bike light (google it) blows it away and can be got for €90 off rose bikes. That is a proper "road" light.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I normally use an Exposure flash and flare combo but since moving to a B & M LED Dynamo light running off an Alfine hub have not needed to use the Flash. The B&M seems as bright over a wider area. I miss the pulse function of the flash but when it gets darker i will find a way to mount the flash to my helmet and have the benefit of both.

Now, can anyone recommend a rear dynamo driven light, ideally seatpost mounted , to supplemet a flare?
  • I can only find this

http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/prod ... light.html

If you find any other seatpost mounted dynamo rear lights can you post it here? I'm after the same, but would rather not spend £40 on it.

To tell the truth, all rear dynamo lights i've seen are pretty low powered and expensive. I'd be inclined to stick with battery power although I suppose dynamo powered rears are pretty reliable.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • beegee
    Thank you for the replies. Googled (as suggested) phillips led light and came up with this site. What a great site. I think knighthoods should be handed out for this sort of dedication.

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    www.yacf.co.uk can give you chapter and verse on torch/dynamo comparisons
    M.Rushton
  • beegee
    But, unless I have missed a good thread, I cannot see where all the information is together in one place. I typed 'dynamo led' in the search box in yacf.co.uk and got approx 800 threads to look through. So, anyway, the article I referenced above mentioned good things about the Philips LED battery light so I have ordered it even though I have been meaning for 3 months to buy a dynamo led combination. Impulsive or what.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    beegee wrote:
    But, unless I have missed a good thread, I cannot see where all the information is together in one place. I typed 'dynamo led' in the search box in yacf.co.uk and got approx 800 threads to look through. So, anyway, the article I referenced above mentioned good things about the Philips LED battery light so I have ordered it even though I have been meaning for 3 months to buy a dynamo led combination. Impulsive or what.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11751.0

It's a bit old, though; the Philips unit does not feature.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}