Is this the ideal beginners bike?

The Spiderman
The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Saw this in the latest issue of WMB

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn29.html

What do you reckon? I quite like the keep it simple concept.It brings back memories of riding my local trails on a rigid forked Saracen hybrid 15 years ago,and would be a good way of a beginner learning their skills I reckon.

I reckon it would be better with discs and proper off road tyres,and is a bit pricey for the spec,but if I were starting out I reckon I`d prefer something like this to most brands budget offerings.
2006 Giant XTC
2010 Giant Defy Advanced
2016 Boardman Pro 29er
2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
2017 Canondale Supersix Evo

Comments

• amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    As a 14 year old boy, I have just grown out of my islabike luath 700. It was a great, versatile bike and had no problem in the 3 years it fitted me. I used it for everyting ( track, road, light touring and very heavy cyclocross).

Therefore as a beginner bike it would be perfect!
    Isla rowntree has excellent customer service aswell!
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's a nice concept, but definitely aimed more at 'leisure' MTBing and flatter courses. I would like to see a triple chainset fitted and more tyre clearance. Doesn't seem that much there for the money either really, I think you could achieve similar with many hybrids.

Basically not MTB enough as it stands.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    It'd be better with an 8 speed hub gear than what it has I'd say. Pricey for what it is too. My old Raleigh Silverback (or whatever it was called) was better (maybe heavier) for 200 quid.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    It's designed to be a grown-up version of the kid's Beinn bikes - I seem to recall reading that Isla had a number of parents asking for a bike just like the one they got for their kids.

It should be excellent for people who ride towpaths and light trails, with the rigid fork keeping it light, and bigger wheels keeping it relatively smooth over small bumps. I wouldn't want to take one anywhere too steep (up or down) or down anything too rough - but then it's not aimed at that sort of riding is it?

The strength of the kids' bikes is that the set-up is spot on. That's not going to be differentiator on an adult bike.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    but then it's not aimed at that sort of riding is it?

That is my point really - to me it looks like many hybrids you can buy ie:

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b66s18p ... RS_GB/8184

or

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... um=organic
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    I have limited experience and still learning but putting my opinion in.

Rigid forks are good for starter bikes, less maintenance and they are "supposed" to be cheaper than bikes with suspension forks.

So for the price imo no, its only 1.5kg lighter than my carrera vengeance and I have suspension forks and 8 gear hub, cant see that on the spec list of that bike.

So if your going to buy a rigid fork bike its supposed to be cheaper (?)

Also if I recall it can be difficult to do certain types of trails due to the fact your elbows and wrists are taking a crap ton of shock absorbing and the bike takes none resulting in an uncomfertable ride.

If I am totally off expain why :P
  • It is expensive for what it is for £400 you can get significantly better.

It is just a hybrid marketed as a MTB classicn Isla marketing
  • I think you will soon get bored with it's limitations. You'd be better of getting a hardtail straightaway. Just like I did :lol:http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12775784&highlight=rockrider
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • There's nothing wrong with getting a rigid bike as starter though- a lot of cheap suspension forks are just utterly worthless. But I agree with the comments above- I'd want a better spec for £400.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    v brakes and rigid forks are fine and better than compromised suspension and discs. But as mentioned plenty of times on here already, not sure its very good value for money and would soon show its limits.