Good bike now hibernating

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2011 in The bottom bracket
Good bike now residing in the garage. Enjoyed sorting out my aluminium Scott for the winter, looking forward to big long plods and good cafe stops, anyone else hung up the good bike after last weekends bonus weather ?

Comments

• kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Nope, riding my sunday best all year round

Winter? what winter!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Are you trying to 'do a Frank' and conjure up more nice weather by talking about putting your best bike away. Do you have his powers?

I've only one bike, my Yukon, so not an issue for me.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The good wheels are away, but not the bike (mainly because I only have one road bike at the mo :D )
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • thecm
    thecm Posts: 71
    I think mine might have had it's last running this afternoon...still if the roads stay salt free and we manage to get a dry weekend who knows!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Not until the salt hits the tarmac.
  • Mine went away a couple of weeks ago, cue "Indian summer". :roll:

I do like verylonglegs' implication that we post when we put away the best steed, thus conjouring up another week of magical sunshine and winter can actually be avoided altogether. 8)
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I sold my Winter bike (Giant OCR 4!!!) this Summer for £40 to a work mate to ensure that I would ride my "good" bike more.

I felt that I made every excuse not to ride it in case it got wet/dirty/strached etc etc. I know it's not great in comparison to many bikes on this site but I stretched my budget in order to build it. So - I'm going to get my money's worth out of it.
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Was going to hibernate my Caad9 last winter, but a pair of crud2 persuaded me to have a try instead of my usual CX bike as a winter warmer. This year all 3 bikes are going to have a salty taste ;-)

I enjoyed the riding on my caad9 with the cruds so much I was even thinking "do I need the cyclocross bike at all?". Yes, I do in fact. I like the 35mm tyres on the CX LOL.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Today would have been the final flourish but it is raining and sans mudguards are frowned upon at this time of year so it will be getting stripped next week :(
    Still, a shiny new Fratello for next week should soften the blow :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    My TCR may get it's final run this weekend then the shifters and brakes are coming off to go on my new winter Ribble frame that's just arrived.
    My Shamals have just arrived so it would be nice to give them a go and see if I notice the difference with GP4000s rather than my trusty Gatorskins.
    Good bike will be tucked up, warm in the spare room :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why would anyone stop using a particular bike because of a random calendar date?!

I'll ride my bikes based on the road conditions. I may not ride the Look again this year but the Ribble will stay out as long as there isn't salt on the roads. Even that may not stop me entirely!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Rolf F wrote:
    Why would anyone stop using a particular bike because of a random calendar date?!

I'll ride my bikes based on the road conditions. I may not ride the Look again this year but the Ribble will stay out as long as there isn't salt on the roads. Even that may not stop me entirely!

+1

Kuota Kharma if dry
    Enigma Etape with full mudguards if wet
    Although 531c Fixie may make an appearance some time over winter.

Salts only a problem if you leave it - quick wash and rinse, bit of lube and no harm done
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Although for some of us, this time of year is when the "good"/"best" bike sees its most use;

6116400741_f7a6a990ce_z_d.jpg

:)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • dmclite wrote:
    Good bike now residing in the garage. Enjoyed sorting out my aluminium Scott for the winter, looking forward to big long plods and good cafe stops, anyone else hung up the good bike after last weekends bonus weather ?

Why??????

When did winter arrive? It's still WELL above cold and icy
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    It scares me to think what a matt black spesh would be like after a winters riding.
  • Anonymous
    I'm riding my crabon bike all year round.
  • Anonymous
    dmclite wrote:

Why??????

When did winter arrive? It's still WELL above cold and icy

Because I want to slow down a bit, ease into long runs on my scott and not worry abouy my 60mm carbon clinchers and dura ace getting shitted up. October until spring = Scott, Spring til October = Litespeed. Gotta have a system, :wink:
  • Why????????

Surely ride the bike you enjoy for as long as you can.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Although for some of us, this time of year is when the "good"/"best" bike sees its most use;

David

Mate, what is that saddle? I love it.
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    Why????????

Quite right. Can't understand this idea of a winter bike. Carbon isn't affected by water/salt and all the rest can be cleaned, lubed and replace.
  • daviesee
    brianonyx wrote:
    Why????????

Quite right. Can't understand this idea of a winter bike. Carbon isn't affected by water/salt and all the rest can be cleaned, lubed and replace.

Fair point but around this time of year the roads change to being wet most of the time and the constant maintenance is a pain. A arriving anywhere wet & muddy when it is not even raining is something I would rather avoid.
    Then there is riding in groups. If you ride in a group in the wet without guards then you are a selfish knoob of the first degree.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daviesee wrote:
    brianonyx wrote:
    Why????????

Fair point but around this time of year the roads change to being wet most of the time and the constant maintenance is a pain. A arriving anywhere wet & muddy when it is not even raining is something I would rather avoid.
    Then there is riding in groups. If you ride in a group in the wet without guards then you are a selfish knoob of the first degree.

You are making a superb case for Crud Road Racers and a terrible case for taking the carbon off the roads :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    You are making a superb case for Crud Road Racers and a terrible case for taking the carbon off the roads :lol:

That would be true - if Cruds were of any use to anyone other than their owner.
    Cruds are a pet hate of mine. The owners think that they have satisfied the mudguards "rules" when in a group but anyone sitting behind will testify that the option is a 30m gap or a face of spray and mud :evil:
    They are perfect for solo runs though 8)
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    daviesee, Have you experienced crud 2's ?

They have an extended rear section to the guard which goes further round the wheel to prevent spray...it seems effective so far, according to those who have followed in the wet.
  • daviesee
    porker33 wrote:

Obviously not. Hopefully they perform as you say and people in the club have them. If not, I will be suggesting so.
    Thanks for the pointer!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Keith1983 wrote:

David

Mate, what is that saddle? I love it.

Selle San Marco SKN Titanium - one of the best-value Ti-rail saddles out there. Only downside is that the San Marco logo and other lettering wears off after just a couple of years' use, but even that's not exactly the end of the world. Dunno if the Union flag version is still on sale, I've a feeling that it may have been a limited edition. Might be able to get one 2nd hand though.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    daviesee wrote:
    porker33 wrote:

Obviously not. Hopefully they perform as you say and people in the club have them. If not, I will be suggesting so.
    Thanks for the pointer!

The mk2s are loads better, better than some 'proper' guards I've seen, still not as good as having a proper flap on them though.

I think I'm going to get some of the sks raceblade longs as soon as I can find anywhere that sells them.

Edit-
    These new sks one's look like they'll be much better for club mates, but not as good for your front mech!

RACEBLADE_LONG_black_anw.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Just had an email from SKS, won't be available in the UK until January, BOOOOO!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017