Need some commuter advice!

Kallaen
Kallaen Posts: 43
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I've commuted fully 60kms maybe 5-10 times this year. I did so today, but I'm lacking power when going in and going home from school.
The problem is that when I go home all my bicycle clothing is wet either from pouring rain or sweat from my body, so it's COLD to get all the clothing on again.
Normally this distance is no match.
I can't hang the clothing for dry anywhere and the only other option I can think of is to have a spare set of bicycle clothing at the school in a second locker.

The other problem is that I need to bring some clothing, food and a laptop with me every day - first time use of carradice SQR Slim and the bracket broke :(

I really would like to enjoy commuting, but its taking too much energy.
I've a Trek 2.3, but I know I would need something else if I'm going to commute all year, since it can't take full mudguards and I need to get all the things I carry either in panniers or a huge saddlebag (if they would be strong enough).

How do you cope with the weather and how do you cope with bringing clothing, laptop, food etc. to work/school?
Any advice to a new commuter?

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    panniers for carrying clothing?

it takes the weight off you an puts it on the bike

60km is about 37 miles isnt it? its a bleeding long way to commute but it is "do-able"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    That is a long distance.....

I think the most important thing for you is going to be investing in some technical clothing - it will make a huge difference in regulating your temperature and keeping you dry. The problem is that it's fairly expensive.

Have a look at the DHB eVent stuff on WIggle?

Mudguards should not be an issue - there are plenty of clip-on versions that will fit most bikes without needing eyelets and massive clearances.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Use the right clothing. . Wear lycra it will dry out quickly both on and off the bike, DHB from Wiggle is good place to start, get a pair of bib shorts and cycling top. like http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-cycling-bib-short/ and http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-transit-sho ... ve-jersey/ Hang your stuff up somewhere when you get to work it'll dry quicker, avoid doing this in the shower room as it'll be humid in there. Comms room is good place as the air con will dry it out but you might not have the option.

For Winter get some base layers that wick away the sweat, I use these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-corefit-lon ... ase-layer/ they also dry out quickly and maybe a pair of bib tights.

Get a pair of seal skins water proof socks and keep them at work, while they won't keep your feet dry on the bike but they are great if your shoes are already wet. Wear them on the ride home if the ride in was wet.

Do keep some an extra cycling top and maybe a pair of shorts at school so you can change in to those if kit is really wet.

EDIT : just reread OP you if you don't have anywhere to hang stuff up, first try the proper clothing it will not get as wet and will dry quicker. It's also thinner and smaller so you can carry a spare set and dry them at home each night.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Kallaen
    Kallaen Posts: 43
    Okay, thx. I can see I didn't make myself clear enough xD
    I wear lycra, bibtights and some Craft base layer and in pouring rain it's wet down to the baselayer, even with 3 layers. Baselayer, middle warm layer and a outer layer, which should be "rain resistant". And it is a 60km round trip, not one way :) So it's doable.
    I think the idea about having a spare set of bicycle lycra clothing at the school is the only way to go. Bicycling with wet clothing for about 1 hour, isn't much fun and drains too much energy from the body.

However I still can't figure out how to carry my stuff on the road bike when the carradice bag can't manage the job.
    Honestly, I've a.DHB eVent.jacket and overtousers that weigh nothing, could pack.into.a.coke can but have kept me bone dry in sheeting rain. They breathe well too.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm going to have this issue. I've got a big backpack, so I'll take a second set of clothes in with me.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."