Bike thieves

veronese68
veronese68 Posts: 27,773
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
At least 2 of my neighbours had sheds broken into on Monday night. Obviously professionals, with heavy tools and a van. One was a steel bike storage shed, they heated the latch until it went soft and broke it open.
Police have been warning people in my immediate area. But I suspect they go around different areas and won't be back in our immediate vicinity for a month or so when insurance has paid out.
I've got a brick garage with a large padlock and they had a good look at the lock. It was wedged upwards at a strange angle. I've bought some special deadbolts that fit inside the door now.
I'm sure you're all aware but make sure your bikes are locked in your sheds and maybe review your security arrangements.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    blimey thats sounds a bit scary mate

i have literally just renewed our house insurance an have included my bikes on the policy.

the only thing the insurance company wanted with regards to bike security was it has to be locked to an static item.

i haven't built my shed yet but my plan is to make it into fort knox
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm not that far away from you! Bugger!

Were they targeting specific people / Bike? Or did they just go from shed to shed?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    and thats why my bikes live in my flat. ive already warned my mate when i move in with him im bringing at least 2 bikes with me :lol:
  • veronese68
    I think they are just chancers. 1 shed had a window, the other didn't. Whilst no one tihng in my garage is particularly valuable the total of everything with tool boxes and motorbikes will soon add up.
    I am now locking everything in the garage to something as well. Having had my bike nicked a year ago I really don't want to repeat the experience, even though I eventually got it back.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Fortunately I live a long way from Jamaica.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Put some kind of loud door alarm on your shed. I have a swiss cow bell on mine.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I had an attempted break in on my detached brick garage a couple of months ago.

They had knocked off two security lights (climbed up and inscrewed the bulbs - found footprints on the car bumper), then had a go at the side door to try and remove the beading from the glass. That's internally beaded (wood) so they went for the side window, which is just single glazed in wood. So the guy removed the beading, then carefully removed the pane of glass.

The next bit baffles me why they did that - and here is why....

I know the window is not that secure, so there is an additional perspex panel on the inside, which on top of it are bars. The thief had broken part of the perspex to see inside.

The door is also barred, and there is a dirty big table in front of it, and it no longer opens due to bolts and additional padlocks. The garage door has two additional padlocks over and above the normal handle lock.

The bikes are all d-locked or chained to anchors on the wall/floor. Since that attack, on has gone additional window bars, 2 window shock alarms, and a IR shed alarm. Oh and the car is usually butted up to the garage door.

That should stop them. That said, where my folks are, a number of sheds and garages have been done. One garage was entered by removing the roof tiles, then they got away with the motorbike that was chained to the garage floor. So some heavy equipment being used.

Be careful out there! :?
  • fossyant
    I'll also add that a neighbour (not 200 yards away) had a top end MTB (downhill machine) and a few racing BMX bikes taken from his garage last year - they entered via the roof, although it was the prefab. type concrete garage.

Anyone who can climb through the boxes and junk in my garage roof would be chancing it.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    t4tomo wrote:
    Fortunately I live a long way from Jamaica.
    :lol:
  • fossyant
    It's also a pain in the ar$e for me unlocking the blooming bikes. I quite often leave the commuter in the house, so I don't have to go through the 'security' to get at my bike.

The best bike is a nightmare to get at, I have to unlock two bikes, move them, then get that one unlocked from a dirty big ground anchor. Then put them back. :?
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    You can't beat some 12 bore blank trip alarms. Make sure they don't go off until after they're inside though, then you''ll have time to catch up to them to have a quiet word.
    "Coming through..."
  • fossyant wrote:

They had knocked off two security lights (climbed up and inscrewed the bulbs - found footprints on the car bumper), then had a go at the side door to try and remove the beading from the glass. That's internally beaded (wood) so they went for the side window, which is just single glazed in wood. So the guy removed the beading, then carefully removed the pane of glass.

I know the window is not that secure, so there is an additional perspex panel on the inside, which on top of it are bars. The thief had broken part of the perspex to see inside.

The door is also barred, and there is a dirty big table in front of it, and it no longer opens due to bolts and additional padlocks. The garage door has two additional padlocks over and above the normal handle lock.

The bikes are all d-locked or chained to anchors on the wall/floor. Since that attack, on has gone additional window bars, 2 window shock alarms, and a IR shed alarm. Oh and the car is usually butted up to the garage door.

That should stop them.

I dunno. Doesn't sound like you take your security serious enough to me. I'd definitely consider installing a piranha infested moat if I were you.
  • fossyant
    Piranhas eh. hmmmm ! :)
  • fossyant wrote:

That should stop them.

I dunno. Doesn't sound like you take your security serious enough to me. I'd definitely consider installing a piranha infested moat if I were you.
    You did see where he lives didn't you? Sorted our kid.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • There has been a very organised gang operating in Bath and parts of the south west as well. Apparently they will identify target bikes and follow the riders around town til they leave their bikes or in some cases follow them home and target their houses at a later date.

I have also taken the precaution of adding each one of my bikes as individually named items on my home insurance

Saying that if they're happy to follow me home for 25 miles in the evening they're welcome to have a go .....

:roll: :roll: :roll:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    If anyone has a go at nicking my bikes they will be easy to identify in a line-up on account of having one of my dogs swinging off their backside :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    We have guns that is all oh and I'm a miserable bastard
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @Veronese - would you mind sending me a PM with the road where you live? I'm in Kingston, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    We have guns that is all oh and I'm a miserable bastard

I doubt you will have for long, one way or the other. HMG aren't keen on people advertising where guns can be found. They aren't too happy about threats involving guns either.

Just a thought. :wink:
    "Coming through..."
  • veronese68
    cjcp wrote:
    @Veronese - would you mind sending me a PM with the road where you live? I'm in Kingston, too.

Pm sent
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Pm sent

Cheers. PM sent in response.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    One of these are pretty handy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALARMED-MOTIO ... 1976wt_754

Lock it around your chainring or wheel/spoke - if they get in your shed then at least they'll wake up the whole street when they're trying to carry your bike away...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • veronese68
    Large bolts now fitted to garage. Fit behind the door key operated and extend 2-3" into the door frame either side.