Laptop Backpack,... which one

Schoey
Schoey Posts: 64
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

Can I grap some advice please..... I need a new waterproof backpack, which also needs to be able to carry a 17" laptop.. I'm struggling to find something suitable. I can either get a good climbing/walking/cycling backpack or a laptop backpack.

The Berghaus Freeflow 25 looks to be a good backpack, but no laptop protective pocket!

Thanks in advance
Paul

Comments

• Schoey wrote:
    Can I grap some advice please..... I need a new waterproof backpack, which also needs to be able to carry a 17" laptop.. I'm struggling to find something suitable. I can either get a good climbing/walking/cycling backpack or a laptop backpack.

I've been down this road a few years ago. It is very difficult to find rucksacks that will take a laptop that big in the first place. I did manage to find one but I wouldn't want to ride a bike wearing it as the weight of the laptop makes it pretty uncomfortable as the only one I could find at the time had really badly designed straps and no back ventilation.

When I got to the stage of needing to transport a laptop by bike I went for a smaller laptop and bought a neoprene pouch to put it in. This then just tucks into my normal rucksack.

Mike
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Is a pannier an option? I used an Altura Dryline for my 17" work laptop for years, without problems. Never leaked, and no weight on the body :)
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    I use a Belkin Dash pack and it's excellent, but that model is designed for 15.6" laptops. There are larger Belkin packs available, but if I was you I'd just pop it in a neoprene sleeve and stick that in a normal backpack or pannier (as someone else suggested).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=belkin+neoprene+sleeve&x=0&y=0
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Schoey wrote:
    The Berghaus Freeflow 25 looks to be a good backpack, but no laptop protective pocket!

thats what i have got an my laptop slides in a treat.

because of the shape of the bag, it kinda grips the laptop if that makes sense

big problem with that bag is you can fit bugger all else inside with a laptop though.

the waterproof cover is a nice feature though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • my colleague has a Topeak laptop bag that slots into a seatpost carrier... neater and easier than my rack/pannier arrangement
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I would just get a decent padded sleeve for the laptop, then shove it into an appropriate sized rucksack. For added waterproofing, use a rucksack liner as well.
  • Pru
    Pru Posts: 53
    my colleague has a Topeak laptop bag that slots into a seatpost carrier... neater and easier than my rack/pannier arrangement

Wow, that's an awesome set up :o
  • I've got an Ogio one which is really good... Plenty of room and never lets water in:

65409.jpg
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Depends how big you want it and how many other pockets. I'm a big fan of Dakine packs for most of my stuff. http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/street-packs/guys/terminal is an excellent pack. More than big enough for just about every requirement you'll ever have as well as having an excellent laptop sleeve.

I also have a completely brilliant Tamrac Aero 80 pack which takes both laptop and SLR camera (+ additional lenses and digital compact) and still has capacity for other stuff. That's the one I tend to use on the motorbike.

3380-opn-brwn-M.jpg
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Schoey
    Schoey Posts: 64
    Thanks for all your help guys - I suppose I may have to go with the freeflow with a sleeve round the laptop. Need to check the size though, as I need to put a shirt and suit pants in their too!

I've thought about panniers as that probably is the most suitable option, but..... well...... I'm not ready for panniers yet.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    I use an ortlieb velocity with a neoprene sleeve for the laptop (crumpler). Completely waterproof and very comfortable for cycling.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Lowepro make some excellent backpacks which will accommodate a 17" laptop, plus camera gear. well padded and very well thought out and constructed. Not cheap though.