Endura Luminite Overshoes

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
anyone use em or anything similar

they look pretty smart but on all the pictures ive seen of them they look like boots?

im fed up of soggy socks when i get to work grr
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If they are of similar quality to all the other Endura kit I've had (including neoprene overshoes), I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    ahh don't say that i just bought some!
  • meanredspider
    mudcow007 wrote:

20 minutes? Impatient, aren't we? :wink::D

Hang onto the receipt :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:

aye im sitting here with my feet trying to dry/ defrost so i thought i would take action an buy buy buy!

i will keep you up dated when they arrive
  • If they are of similar quality to all the other Endura kit I've had (including neoprene overshoes), I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Never had a problem with any Endura kit tbh - I sort of view their stuff as a 'safe option' reliable and reasonably priced but a bit dull. I have two pairs of their overshoes ( the rubbery ones and the other ones) and both have been very good and long lasting.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • meanredspider
    My first pair of Endura overshoes lasted about 4 weeks before they fell to bits. Then did a search on line to find lots of people with exactly the same issues (bottom falling apart, zip pulls breaking). Shop swapped them - I've hardly worn the second pair since I bought RW80s but the soles are falling apart again.

The other major disaster was the Endura Meryl 3/4 tights I bought. Pad was awful bulky but strangly ineffective. The clincher though was that the opening at the bottom of one leg was 1cm bigger than the opening at the bottom of the other leg - it just rode up over my knee. They went back.

There was a third Endura item (gloves I think) that went back but I don't remember the reason.

Suffice it to say, I don't touch Endura anymore.
  • Funny I have 2 pairs of fs260 bibs, 2pairs of gloves, leg warmers and the twosets of o/shoes and no bother at all. Maybe I am just lucky.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    the trick is not to walk in them, once you do, they start to fall apart.

I think mine lasted about 2 weeks and then I gave up after getting a refund out of Evans
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    mudcow007 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

aye im sitting here with my feet trying to dry/ defrost so i thought i would take action an buy buy buy!

i will keep you up dated when they arrive

If you post asking for buying advice you can never look at the thread again once you have hit the "buy now" button. Schoolboy error that I will still make myself.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    gbsahne wrote:

I think mine lasted about 2 weeks and then I gave up after getting a refund out of Evans

same goes for ALL overshoes !
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    winter boots are the long term plan

I used to have some endura ones, neoprene ones with a reinforced undersole, very good but the fastening at the back kept pinching my ankle.
    I've got Castelli ones now, much softer at the back, but suffer underfoot, but who cares they've got scorpions on!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    The only endura kit I have is a pair of their “mighty mitts”. They’re still going strong after a couple of year’s heavy use, not bad for £15.

I had my eye on the same overshoes for winter so would be interested to hear feedback.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    turnerjohn wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

same goes for ALL overshoes !

I was only walking from bike shed to office, <20m.

After this I tried lots of things last year and then ended up with winter boots, after all my DIY efforts failed.
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    I was going to go down the overshoes route, but I've bought Sealskins waterproof socks. Not bothered if the shoes get wet, as long as me toes stay dry!

They are the ones with the little yellow 'hi-viz' bit on top, I thought that was a joke but its surprisingly bright in dull weather.

Not tested them in wet yet though
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    I've had a set of the MT500 overshoes for three years now and they are only now starting to show some signs of wear on the soles/bottom. They have been used for commuting and MTB rides and have kept my toes toasty in all conditions (although not always perfectly dry - neoprene isn't completely waterproof). Just treat them with a bit of care, remove them is you intend to walk any distance (end of commute etc) and they should be ok.

For those of you who hear/read bad things about them - just remember that the relatively few people who speak out are usually those who have had a genuine problem with their product but consider the large number of those who do not have any problems and don't 'post' their experience - it's too easy to focus on the negatives!

It is only advice and opinion after all!! :shock: :)

• meanredspider
    gs3 wrote:
    For those of you who hear/read bad things about them - just remember that the relatively few people who speak out are usually those who have had a genuine problem with their product but consider the large number of those who do not have any problems and don't 'post' their experience - it's too easy to focus on the negatives!

It is only advice and opinion after all!! :shock: :)

True - but you soon get a sense when you read reviews of a product and half the people say it's rubbish and they've all had the same issues as you that somethings not quite right about it. You only need to compare and contrast with known "good" products where 95%+ of comments are effusive to get a sense of what reviews a good product gets.