what ingenious trail fixes/ bodges have you done to get home

sloppycowpat
sloppycowpat Posts: 349
edited October 2011 in MTB general
hehe snapped my chain today up in robins wood ended up cutting some barbed wire off a wall to wrap round links to get home and it worked, had a bit of a knee to stem incident though...ouch!! :oops:

just thought it would be cool to know what trail side fix ideas/ bodges that you have come up with
worst moment ever...
buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited October 2011
    Stuck a full pack of Leeches repair patches over a tear in the tube, including overlapping them. Still leaked air, but very slowly and got me home

Also snapped the saddle rail tension bolt on my Joplin seatpost from over tightening it. Used a spare seat clamp bolt and lever to get me around Cannock for a two [weekend] days while I awaited the new one from Chase Cycles who ordered one for me.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Strapped my bike to my back pack and walked back to the car once when I taco'd the front wheel beyond recognition. Does that count?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    My mates seat clamp broke on the first ride and wouldn't do up tight enough to clamp the rails, so we ended up stuffing a bunch of twigs in the clamp.
  • Very small cable tie used in place of the leaf spring type of the newer pro 2 freehub

Tyre lever to repair a mangled rear mech.
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    Lost a bolt off the chainstay on my kona half way down the mega avalanche route. put an allen key through the hole and cabled tied it to the frame until i could rob a few bolts of a ski lift a few km's down!!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • paul.skibum, i think it counts sort of

how come you didn't try cave manning it?

bashing it on ground and using rocks etc ive done that before on the rims from an 06 carrera fury i.e cheese rims
    worst moment ever...
  • i still think my favourite bodge was using pine needles to fill up a tyre when my pump decided to die, put some in a half seated tyre, patted it shook it repeat etc then put rest of tyre on an rode home on that, one guy who went past was pissing himself up the trail after we realised his pump wouldn't fit presta valves
    worst moment ever...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    paul.skibum, i think it counts sort of

how come you didn't try cave manning it?

bashing it on ground and using rocks etc ive done that before on the rims from an 06 carrera fury i.e cheese rims

Front folded over and was at 90 degrees at the hub - I tried bending it back wedging it in a fork in a tree so I could wheel it back - couldnt get it anywhere near straight enough to even roll in the fork.

I've done the single speed with broken mech as chain tensioner thing and duck taped tyres before as well but they are common repairs. Not really had many major problems riding which given my maintenance and cleaning standards (of my bike not me) is a miracle.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    - Converted to single speed when I snapped the mech hanger and mangled the mech.
    - cable tied my rear brake on when I lost one of the bolts.
    - used a lolly stick to reinforce a rim on a mates bike after he'd taken a massive lump out of it.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    i used Duct tape and all the allen keys i could get my hands on after snapping my old GT Tequesta frame coming off a large drop! Managed to hold it together wo well i left it as was and used it as a commuter for about 6 moths :lol:
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • once fixed a chain that snapped with a pair of cable cutters & flat headscrew driver, impressive i thought
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • Taped my rear mech cage together when it snapped done a bloody good job too.

6220288971_9ecd0a6b3a.jpg
    IMAG0250 by JulianBaker, on Flickr
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i've done the whole grass in my tyre when an inner tube went pop
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    http://bikemagic.com/gear/how-to/maintenance/page/6

Some interesting uses of cable ties and sticks in there
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Whittled a stick down to replace a jockey wheel bolt. Pushed up the hills freewheeled down and only pedalled gently but managed about 10 miles before it went and we were nearly back at car by then.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap