Anyone doing Gridiron - Sunday 9th ?

As per title

What are the roads like around the New Forest ?
A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
Trek 2.1 winter hack

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Quite a few of us from the Xch saturday ride are doing this.
    Roads are okay, you will only have to watch out if it rains and debris washed on to surfaces which can happen as there are plenty of gravel entrances to forest.
    Not much to speak of as far as challenging hills and the route looks like it is sticking to the eastern half of the forest.
    According to one of the organisers they are anticipating about 800 participants which does seem rather high.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • I can't make it - but quite a few of my work colleagues are. The route is pretty much flat and nothing to difficult. The guys who are going are not that fit and riding a mix of mountain bikes/hybrids & road bikes.

Nice thing about it is - they advertise not to go too fast as it is not a race - and if you turn up too early at the checkpoints you have to wait for them to be ready.

Which should stop some of the larger chain gangs that appear on some of the local sportives around here. UK-Biking.net last Sunday was one that didn't stand out as ambassadors for the sport in the New Forest.
  • I've pre-entered this ride which I've done for the last few years and it's a great relaxed and friendly ride to do without the need to push on too much and very like the round the Isle of Wight randonee in May each year. Mr Goo if 800 is the pre-entered number expect more to just turn up on the day. It's also cheap at £5 pre-entered or £10 on the day - it includes free tea/coffee and biscuits at the indoor stops.

Weather looking good for tomorrow :D
  • Good ride today. Well organised and met some nice people too. Good to see a good mix of male and female, more so than a lot of previous rides. £5 well spent.

Well done Wessex CTC :D

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Good ride today. Well organised and met some nice people too. Good to see a good mix of male and female, more so than a lot of previous rides. £5 well spent.

Well done Wessex CTC :D

Trek 2.1 winter hack