Mobile Phone

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
I have had company phone for years, but with impending redundancy will have to buy/rent my own device/connection.

Probably a smartphone, but what sort, and what type of deals available.
Not a big phone user, though will probably use more.

How cheap is a iPhone with a connection? Would prefer a monthy payment.

No idea about tarrif's etc....
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Depends which one you want.

If you want to wait for the 4s then on a £35/£40 per month contract you're probably still looking at forking out £200 on the phone.

The older iPhone $ I think you could pick up for free around that sort of contract price when the new one is out.

Then you go for an Android phone, of which on a £35\40 contract you could pretty much pick up any spec\model for free.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Buy a cheap Android smartphone & then get a giffgaff SIM (O2 network) - £10 gets you unlimited data, texts & 250 minutes in a month; not a contract.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Smartphone comes down to two things:

iPhone

or

HTC

iPhones, aren't competitive Apple set the price and phone companies follow that (there are at times exceptions).

If you buy into Apple be prepared for the long haul, a iPhone contract is 24months, the phone warranty is 12 months and when a new one comes out you'll want it and they will charge you for it.

Do I regret mine, well the backlight hasn't worked since June/July and all the buttons have fallen off but god I want the 4s.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

iPhone

or

HTC

iPhones, aren't competitive Apple set the price and phone companies follow that (there are at times exceptions).

If you buy into Apple be prepared for the long haul, a iPhone contract is 24months, the phone warranty is 12 months and when a new one comes out you'll want it and they will charge you for it.

Do I regret mine, well the backlight hasn't worked since June/July and all the buttons have fallen off but god I want the 4s.

Not all contracts. I'm with 3. I pay £25/month and it's rolling - so I can leave whenever I like. Doing it this way means you have to buy the phone outright, but works out cheaper in the long run. With the arrival of the 4S next week, there will be a glut of 3GS' and 4's on the market at reduced prices - both second hand and new.

Geeks prefer Android phones, most consumers prefer the iPhone. I'm happy with my iPhone, it does everything I need and is easy to use, and despite reservations about Apple's "walled garden" I can't say that it's ever bothered me. I can't get on with Android, just didn't find it very intuitive.

Should also add that I've had every version of the iPhone and none of them have broken.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:

iPhone

or

HTC

or Samsung. essentially iOS or Android
    Expect I'll get a 4S as I skipped the 4, but I'll buy it off contract
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPhones are lovely pieces of kit, and if the "Walled Garden" (as Principe puts it) doesn't bother you then I'd go for it.

Personally I have an HTC Desire HD (Android) because its flexibility suits me better and if I'm honest, I like to tinker.
  • dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If you can reasonably expect an item to last more than 12 months, which you can in the case of a £500 luxury item like an iPhone, then you can get it repaired or replaced for free outside of the warranty. Warranties don't affect you statutory rights.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    What about windows phones? I love my iPhone and will probably wait for a re-design to come out some time next year. I have a 3GS and whilst I'm fully aware of the technical advantages of the 4S over this I'm not prepared to pay the premium for it. Ha snayone got a windows phone and what do you think to it?
  • Wallace1492
    I will not want the latest version, I am certainly not a gadget freak.
    But would like access to stuff "on the go".

£25 a month sounds good..... how much for a new 3g iPhone?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I changed my iPhone 3GS to a an HTC Desire HD and I absolutely flogging hate the POS.......actually it's brilliant, but after the stability and ridiculous ease of use of the iPhone it's terrible.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Keith1983 wrote:
    What about windows phones? I love my iPhone and will probably wait for a re-design to come out some time next year. I have a 3GS and whilst I'm fully aware of the technical advantages of the 4S over this I'm not prepared to pay the premium for it. Ha snayone got a windows phone and what do you think to it?

Nope. Nobody at all has a Windows Phone, that's the problem.

Wallace, it really is iPhone or Android, and not just because they're the two platforms that Strava support.

In my experience, as someone who's had both an original iPhone and more recently a Samsung Galaxy S, the iPhone is vastly less irritating and has by far the better apps on the app store.
  • il_principe
    I will not want the latest version, I am certainly not a gadget freak.
    But would like access to stuff "on the go".

£25 a month sounds good..... how much for a new 3g iPhone?

8Gig 3GS is £320. That's direct from Apple. Sure you could get it much cheaper.

Edit - Wouldn't touch a Windows phone with a sh1tty stick. Maybe in a few years, but not now.
  • dhope
    Nope. Nobody at all has a Windows Phone, that's the problem.

Not true. One bloke I know on the floor above has got one and says its quite good, but that it'll be better when someone else has one too, or there are some apps for it.
    If you do get a Windows phone then I'll give you Fergus' number so you can ask the other person in the world that has it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    look at total cost of contract over the duration of the contract as you may find paying for the phone upfront and a small monthly cost is cheaper in the long run.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited October 2011
    Don't discount Nokia & symbian if you're not a gadget store geek. Wife's iphone 3gs broke fatally after 14 months, i know others who's have frozen solid & lost everything and you're pretty much hogtied into itunes for syncs, backups etc

That said my HTC desire is onto its 3rd return & the buttons are starting not to respond 1st time. The camera is shoot and I can hold my breath longer than the battery lasts if I actually want to use it, but there is much more freedom than apples walled garden offers & the wife's iphone 4 is heavy on battery too.

I'm a geek but have got thoroughly bored with 99.99% of the apps. Wish I'd gone for a Nokia n8 - does the basics just as well as the other OS's, has an adequate range of apps, battery life is comparatively brilliant & has seriously good music & camera.

I think 3 are doing some mid range smartphones (htc wildfire) from £15 monthly contracts. Tesco do good deals too.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    shouldbeinbed
    There's a trick to fix the battery on the desire, worked a treat on mine.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712990
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I got an iphone 3GS free with a contract for £21.50 a month with O2 at the end of August. My technogeeky friends didn't understand why I'd get an old one if there was a new model coming out.
    My point of it's free, I don't pay any more than for my basic old phone just didn't wash.
    Very pleased with it overall. Getting used to having to charge it frequently. Can play with things like Strava. I don't need the lates newest model, this does more than enough for me.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've been very pleased with my Desire S - camera is really good, it all operates quickly and smoothly, battery life not great but that goes with the territory I think. Able to buy separate memory cards as well so when you upgrade you can just move all your photos / music across. I pay around £18 a month, my wife pays double for a decrepid old iPhone that she is locked into a 2 year contract for and which she thinks is a load of rubbish.
  • dhope
    Sketchley wrote:
    look at total cost of contract over the duration of the contract as you may find paying for the phone upfront and a small monthly cost is cheaper in the long run.

This.

Bit of a faff, but when I got my 3GS I actually took out an 18 month £25pm contract with a free Samsung Galaxy S, then sold the Galaxy for £300 and got a 3GS off contract for about £400.

The £25pm Galaxy contract was significantly better than the £25 iPhone contract - think it was 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited (500mb) internet (this was about 18 months ago)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    iPhone is better than Android IMO.

The only time Android and by extension HTC, which is the best hardware provider of the software (IMO), is better than an iPhone is if you like the openware software either developing the apps or customising the software itself.

Even then I don't think Android is better than the equivalent Apple operating system. It is just that Android allows you to tinker in the same way a self built carbon bike isn't better than a Pinarello except that you built yours and its yours.

I wouldn't touch a windows phone currently its at the Windows 95 stage of its development which was like an Apple Mac but not quite there.

The 3gs, for all my issues with mine was great but had bugs.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I have had company phone for years, but with impending redundancy will have to buy/rent my own device/connection.

Ask your company if you can port your phone number out - its no real skin off their nose and saves you having to run around telling everyone your new number. You need the PAC code.

Also, they might let you have your old phone so you might be able to put the number onto a P&G or a SIM only contract (cheaper obviously).
  • il_principe
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

This.

Bit of a faff, but when I got my 3GS I actually took out an 18 month £25pm contract with a free Samsung Galaxy S, then sold the Galaxy for £300 and got a 3GS off contract for about £400.

The £25pm Galaxy contract was significantly better than the £25 iPhone contract - think it was 600 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited (500mb) internet (this was about 18 months ago)

+1 IME it is cheaper if you can afford the initial outlay.

My £25/month plan with 3 gives me:

2000 any network minutes
    5000 texts
    5000 Three-to-Three minutes
    All-you-can-eat Data (although this maybe limited to 1gig, it is still better than most deals)
    1 month rolling contract
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

This.

+1 IME it is cheaper if you can afford the initial outlay.

My £25/month plan with 3 gives me:

2000 any network minutes
    5000 texts
    5000 Three-to-Three minutes
    All-you-can-eat Data (although this maybe limited to 1gig, it is still better than most deals)
    1 month rolling contract

I've had a contract since I was 15 that's a damn good deal for any phone.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    dhope wrote:
    [

Be wary of doing this with an iPhone 4 as it takes a special new 'micro sim' and AFAIK is the only phone to do so...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I was planning on getting a Samsung Galaxy SII over Apple or HTC, based on a recomendation from someone in our IT department. Is he a genius or an idiot?
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Be wary of doing this with an iPhone 4 as it takes a special new 'micro sim' and AFAIK is the only phone to do so...

One can get micro sims from any of the providers and they also come with an adapter that lets you use the micro sim in a normal phone.
    Gussio wrote:
    I was planning on getting a Samsung Galaxy SII over Apple or HTC, based on a recomendation from someone in our IT department. Is he a genius or an idiot?

Good phone. Anyone claiming Android == HTC is deluded. Samsung and now Sony are offering phones at least equal to HTCs droid offerings.

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/10/05/t ... hone_4s_5/
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Interesting and informative link - thanks!
  • Wallace1492
    Pufftmw wrote:

Ask your company if you can port your phone number out - its no real skin off their nose and saves you having to run around telling everyone your new number. You need the PAC code.

Also, they might let you have your old phone so you might be able to put the number onto a P&G or a SIM only contract (cheaper obviously).

Intend to do this. Like my number, and loads have it.
  • il_principe
    Gussio wrote:

Neither, but he works in IT. IME IT Peeps prefer Android as they can get all clever with it. That's great if you understand how to do all that customisation. If you don't, then get an iPhone. Like most of Apple's stuff, us non-techy people like it because it works well, and is easy to use - oh and it's well designed:

"Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it's really how it works. The design of the Mac wasn't what it looked like, although that was part of it. Primarily, it was how it worked. To design something really well, you have to get it. You have to really grasp what it's all about. It takes a passionate commitment to really thoroughly understand something, chew it up, not just quickly swallow it. Most people don't take the time to do that."
    - Steve Jobs, Wired magazine, 1994
  • bails87 wrote:
    shouldbeinbed
    There's a trick to fix the battery on the desire, worked a treat on mine.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712990

Cheers, will give it a go