Bicycle insurance - help

PudseyPaul
PudseyPaul Posts: 59
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
Hi

I have recently renovated a classic old bob jackson road bike, dating from the 60s. I had the frame resprayed by Bob Jackson's and cleaned up all of the campag record vintage kit that came with it. The bike now looks new to the eye and I must say im quite proud of my first job, although I have had lots of help along the way.
The bike is now stunning and rides like a dream, but it is a classic with center pull brakes, cottered cranks and gear levers on the down tube.
Question is, how do I value it for insurance purposes? Its easy to put a value on something bought in recent memory that has an actual cost, but it would be difficult to replace such a vintage bike with the kit it has on it. Therefore has anyone got any ideas about how you go about getting to a figure that is realistic so that I can insure it correctly?

Comments

• I'm not super experienced with bike insurance....I do have it but not for anything fancy like that. To be honest all I can see the insurance company interested in is a price....but as it's so old you might well need a bike shop's evaluation as back up. Your best bet would be to ring up the insurance company and ask. Of course money can't replace some things
    And of course use a decent lock. I saw a trek today with 105 group set etc chained up with a cable lock...:( They're just too chompable to be safe, D locks are the way to go

Any chance of a photo...sounds beautiful!?

By the way you might want to rename you title something along the lines implying your insurance query is not generic and a bit different....it'll probably get more reads ;)
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    The simplest answer is to take it to your LBS and ask them to put a value on it. That will also help to prove that you're not over- or under-insuring it, should you need to make a claim and the insurance company question it.
  • +1