Deal Extreme - P7 1200 Lumens front lamp for £33

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited October 2011 in Commuting general
That's about £20 cheaper than I paid last year.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/p7-water-resistant-ssc-p7-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82734

Note that it says water resistant yet supplies the battery in a canvas bag. That's how I got mine and why the battery failed the first time it got rained on...

1200 lumen is a good 33% brighter than last year too. Whether it is 1200 lumens or not I have no idea but I never run my 900 lumen lamp at full power on the roads... too bright.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If it's a P7 I don't think it can be 1200 lumens. (Noit that they get anywhere near the clamed values anyway, but I don't know if it's even theoretically possible).

There's an XML-T6 light that's a couple of $ cheaper, and brighter, more efficient. I don't know how water proof the battery pack is, so I sealed mine wiht some clear bathroom sealant.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    This ?
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterpr ... -set-82510

Got one - 'tis very bright - not sure of the differences between all these lights at DX tbh.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    andyrr
    That's the one.

The Magicshines were a clone of some others (can't remember which, but it's a fairly well known brand).

The one you've linked to is essentially a clone of the Magicshine, which is itself a clone of something more expensive.

The LED is the key thing I think. See the What lights thread in MTB Buying Advice for tech info, but P7=Good, XML=newer and gooder!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The clones don't take the same connector - the central pin is thicker at 2.5mm vs 2.1mm so isn't directly swappable with magicshine batteries/lights. But you can get adapters from Maplin for less than £2.